Model Y #1 selling car in the world for 2023

From Haggerty:

For the first time in history the most popular new car across the planet is electric. Tesla sold more than 1.2 million Model Ys in 2023 to put it ahead of Toyota’s RAV4 which had sales of 1.07 million and Corolla which found 1.01 million buyers.

I didn't think it would outsell the #2 RAV4 and #3 Corolla by so much; 15% and 22% respectively.

From Haggerty:

For the first time in history the most popular new car across the planet is electric. Tesla sold more than 1.2 million Model Ys in 2023 to put it ahead of Toyota’s RAV4 which had sales of 1.07 million and Corolla which found 1.01 million buyers.

I didn't think it would outsell the #2 RAV4 and #3 Corolla by so much; 15% and 22% respectively.
Frankly, I’d much rather have a model y than a rav4 or especially a Corolla.
Too bad the range sucks ;)

From Haggerty:

I hear current ev vehicles have no place nor future in current society.
These numbers dont make sense.

🤣

They all have their place. I serviced a friend's daughter's RAV4 hybrid; what a nice vehicle!
I would like to take a spin in the Venza.
Venza is weird nameplate that makes no sense every time they bring that program back.

Smaller on the inside then a Rav4, but almost the same size on the outside. High luxury/airplane grade star gaze roof, that no other luxury Lexus received.

Its been axed after my24, replaced with a crown crossover....what the.....

As a 2023 Model Y buyer I love it as a commuter car. We have a gas vehicle for family trips. My model Y is the most effortlessly fast car I’ve owned and is a great car to drive 55 miles a day for minimal cost. I’m hoping I can keep it for 250,000 miles but if it becomes problematic I’ll ditch it for something else.

I think the grid is going to be a real problem with the push to EVs but so far I don’t have any issues.

They all have their place. I serviced a friend's daughter's RAV4 hybrid; what a nice vehicle!
I would like to take a spin in the Venza.
My brother has one too. It’s ok. Like I said, I’d take the Tesla. Or his FJZ80…

As a 2023 Model Y buyer I love it as a commuter car. We have a gas vehicle for family trips. My model Y is the most effortlessly fast car I’ve owned and is a great car to drive 55 miles a day for minimal cost. I’m hoping I can keep it for 250,000 miles but if it becomes problematic I’ll ditch it for something else.

I think the grid is going to be a real problem with the push to EVs but so far I don’t have any issues.
The most made in America vehicle and all its energy is domestically produced.

Much of the success can be attributed to an extremely aggressive pricing strategy which saw Tesla slashing the cost of a Model Y by as much as $10,000 to undercut rivals. “The price cuts over the course of the year, combined with Tesla’s reputation as a reliable and competitive EV manufacturer, helped to fuel already high demand,”

Europe makes sense for EVs. They have much higher fossil fuel costs than North America. They typically have much shorter driving distances, and a "cross country trip" might only represent several hours of travel, not several days like in North America. As for China, though they are a very large land mass, they also don't drive long distances typically. So for these markets, EVs make some sense. They did have to give big price concessions to get those sales, too. Is that sustainable? Can't say for sure.

I do also wonder if they experience the same quality issues and part supply issues in their Tesla world as has been reported here in NA? I'm not sure where they get off touting "Tesla's reputation as a reliable ... manufacturer"? That's not at all in line with what I've heard; I know firsthand some Tesla owners who'd beg to differ, as they have had mediocre quality experiences and horrible service experiences.

Being the number 1 car in sales volume, the Model Y still gets dwarfed by US truck sales. Kinda like being the best player in the minor league; you're at the top of the "also ran" category.

Europe makes sense for EVs. They have much higher fossil fuel costs than North America. They typically have much shorter driving distances, and a "cross country trip" might only represent several hours of travel, not several days like in North America. As for China, though they are a very large land mass, they also don't drive long distances typically. So for these markets, EVs make some sense. They did have to give big price concessions to get those sales, too. Is that sustainable? Can't say for sure.

I do also wonder if they experience the same quality issues and part supply issues in their Tesla world as has been reported here in NA? I'm not sure where they get off touting "Tesla's reputation as a reliable ... manufacturer"? That's not at all in line with what I've heard; I know firsthand some Tesla owners who'd beg to differ, as they have had mediocre quality experiences and horrible service experiences.

Being the number 1 car in sales volume, the Model Y still gets dwarfed by US truck sales. Kinda like being the best player in the minor league; you're at the top of the "also ran" category.

I made the calcs, and EV doesn't make sense (and I'm in europe). The only way it makes sense is if I was self employed and could deduct the costs from my taxes. And that's only because I could only deduct 50% if I had an ICE.

The car I'm going to buy comes in ICE and PHEV, even with the lower taxes on ownership I can't break even before the PHEV is 15 years old. I'd rather not take that gamble and go for the lower up front cost of an ICE. If I bought a BEV, the break even point would be even further in the future.

Kinda surprised considering all the Tesla recalls the last 2 years. Friend has the cheapest 2023 Tesla and really likes it. Problem with it though, his son plays college football for Kutztown University a Division 2 school. With there away games which some are 4 hours or more one way. They take his wifes 2019 Honda Pilot. Told me there never sure where charging stations are and dont want to be stuck out in the middle of West Virginia with there thumbs up there arse possibly. I am glad you like the neighbors Rav4 Hybrid you serviced. Liking mine more and more every day.

Judging from the stock action, and pressure from BYD those numbers might start to drop off.

No doubt about it, over the next couple of years BYD will far exceed tesla as far as quality goes, they already look better and have nicer interior at a lower price. Looks like BYD is going to be a big growth stock. Lots of interesting news with ev batteries.

Venza is weird nameplate that makes no sense every time they bring that program back.
I had one of those a the tire store getting a winter/ summer changeover. The 19 inch tires only fit in the vehicle if I put two in the luggage space and two in the rear seat.

IMO a SUV should be able to hold four of its own tires in the back. My Saturn wagon could!

I believe pickups are #1 in US sales, but not worldwide. Perhaps someone has the numbers...

Back