Model Y #1 selling car in the world for 2023

Huh. Learn something new every day.
Perhaps you may not be familiar with the Tesla direct sales model; they do not use dealerships for sales and distribution. They have show rooms where you can see and test drive the cars, get information and the like. But they carry no inventory.

You have to click-click-click.

Don't feel bad I wouldn't know where to buy one here either. They're around but from what I've read more so on the east end of Long Island.
We’ve had a Tesla showroom not 7 minutes away for years now. They even opened an annex.

37% of current Tesla owners won't purchase another Tesla. That number is growing larger every year. They cite poor customer service, excessive repair times, and what was touted by the nut at the top a much cheaper owner experience isn't cheaper.
Interesting. You would think that folks around where I live, if anyplace in the country, would hate musk for likely the same reasons you day. Yet they’re selling like hotcakes.

Please tell me a car brand that most folks wouldn’t call their stores “stealerships”. I had to wait months to get my Honda into a quality shop when it got bumped. So…??

Perhaps you may not be familiar with the Tesla direct sales model; they do not use dealerships for sales and distribution. They have show rooms where you can see and test drive the cars, get information and the like. But they carry no inventory.

You have to click-click-click.
I see they do have a showroom in Milford.

We actually have Tesla solar panels (formerly and Solar City) that came with the house. I have the Tesla app on my phone even, to track solar output. But that's only because a previous owner installed them and prepaid the 20 year lease. For various reasons I can't discuss here I would never buy a Tesla product new.

This really shows that people are brainwashed and will apparently buy into any and all Tesla Hype. Apparently the Model y and 3 have major problems with the mileage being significantly off of Tesla claims. From the sound of it a class action lawsuit is in the works. They don't have any customer service to speak of. Let’s see a recent software update bricked customers model y and 3 autopilot and fsd. Why did Tesla not test this on company vehicles or test vehicles before updating software? Customers out of warranty are being told that Tesla can diagnose the problem but it'll cost $275 an hour sorry, even though Tesla broke their vehicle. The yutz at the top from many inside sources ie employees say thst Musk rarely shows up, and when he does it's chaos as he's clueless to the current issues at hand. Tesla treats vehicles like a cellphone update, the model Y has three to four front frunk latch changes in less than the first year of manufacturing. Good luck sorting out that mess and getting parts. It makes no sense that it's the best selling vehicle.
Huh? How does it show anything?

I’d rather a Tesla than either of those products. Even though its range doesn’t work for me.

Given the mileage it has lasted, and the range and efficiency, I bet my 1991 300d that I’m driving on a long trip now is more eco friendly than any of the options, lol.

BYD sells lower priced cars than Tesla. Yes, they outsold them in Q4, but not for the FY. Tesla sales are not slowing, just not growing as quickly. Tesla has been in rapid growth mode for years now. y the way, Tesla's car margins increased in Q4 even though sales price was lowered.

Wait for the Model 2 if you wanna see sales. The 3 and Y are being refreshed; buyers are waiting for the new models.

TSLA stock has taken a nose dive since the Q4 results, but was up over 4% today. Does that mean buyers are changing their mind again? Who is "our guys"? What does that mean? Can you name a car company that makes any profit on their EV business?

Tesla is worth more, by market cap, then then next 7 or 8 car companies combined. And that is after the recent drop.
TSLA is a volatile stock, no doubt. Tying it to business development is silly.
I'm well aware. Expand your horizons, there's a lot of money to be made when TSLA sells off, a ton.

Huh. Learn something new every day.
Really? Did you not know that? My first visit to a Tesla Showroom, circa 2016.

IMG_4572.jpeg

I just couldn’t give serious consideration to a car I had never laid eyes on. Sure, you just order on line - and I suspect most people do - but I needed to see the car, and talk with the Tesla folks. Even they gave me the website when I asked for pricing and ordering information. They really were just a showroom, not a point of sale.

Last edited:
I just couldn’t give serious consideration to a car I had never laid eyes on. Sure, you can order on line - and I suspect most people do - but I needed to see the car, and talk with the Tesla folks.
It is amazing that customers would buy a car, any car, sight unseen, but apparently many have. In Dec 2018 I was recovering from foot surgery on the couch and asked wifey about the new Tesla Model 3; our 1st discussion of the car. On a lark, we drove over to the Sunnyvale store and Sue took a test drive; I could not drive. Being a techie, she loved the tech, power, etc. I gave them a credit card for the down payment and one was delivered to our home a few days later.

At least I looked at it.

It is amazing that customers would buy a car, any car, sight unseen, but apparently many have. In Dec 2018 I was recovering from foot surgery on the couch and asked wifey about the new Tesla Model 3; our 1st discussion of the car. On a lark, we drove over to the Sunnyvale store and Sue took a test drive; I could not drive. Being a techie, she loved the tech, power, etc. I gave them a credit card for the down payment and one was delivered to our home a few days later.

At least I looked at it.
But you and I are car guys. Cars are an interest.

Not the case for a lot folks.

I’ve got a good friend who is an investment banker. Lives in Manhattan. He’s only bought a couple of cars - buys them new, no test drive, keeps them ten years, trades them in. Cars are a hassle, not an interest. He spends the minimum time needed to research, negotiate and buy. Doesn’t much care about cars.

Many folks like him - for them, cars are just another appliance. So, why give them much thought?

Last edited:
From Haggerty:

For the first time in history the most popular new car across the planet is electric. Tesla sold more than 1.2 million Model Ys in 2023 to put it ahead of Toyota’s RAV4 which had sales of 1.07 million and Corolla which found 1.01 million buyers.

I didn't think it would outsell the #2 RAV4 and #3 Corolla by so much; 15% and 22% respectively.
Who knew mini vans would become a top seller again

Really? Did you not know that? My first visit to a Tesla Showroom, circa 2016.
Totally serious, I didn't know you ordered them online. I just checked, the first Tesla showroom in CT opened in Milford in 2020, and that's still the closest one to me at over an hour away.

But my lack of interest in electric vehicles really is the cause of my lack of knowledge. I only weighed in on this thread because of the surprising statistic in the thread title. Several truck models do outsell it as previously mentioned.

My first visit to a Tesla Showroom, circa 2016.
The Tesla showroom in Columbus OH is inside of a mall (looks like that one is as well). Well, it's one of those combined indoor/outdoor mall and looking now, they've moved into a substantially bigger location. They have demo models you can test drive at these showrooms as well as at their service centers.

But my lack of interest in electric vehicles really is the cause of my lack of knowledge. I only weighed in on this thread because of the surprising statistic in the thread title. Several truck models do outsell it as previously mentioned.
F-Series is #1 in the US, but I believe the Model Y is #1 worldwide. The F-Series is sold mainly in US and Canada, and Ford lumps the F-Series into 1 number.

I have not seen the actual F-Series WW number; perhaps others can chime in.

You can't go wrong buying the most popular highest production cars in the world. At least if you decide to sell there is more than likely someone else who will buy it. I am surprised Tesla pulled ahead over Toyota because I don't see that many of them where I live however they are a nice vehicle and I can understand why people would buy them with the high cost of fuel.

At least I looked at it.
In 2008 I ordered up a new 3/4 ton Suburban from a check sheet the dealer provided to me. I never saw it until the day I picked it up. All was good and I still have it.

You can't go wrong buying the most popular highest production cars in the world. At least if you decide to sell there is more than likely someone else who will buy it. I am surprised Tesla pulled ahead over Toyota because I don't see that many of them where I live however they are a nice vehicle and I can understand why people would buy them with the high cost of fuel.
Huh???
You need to rethink your statement as Tesla is nowhere near Toyota sales numbers.
Tesla sold 1.8 Million Vehicles in 2023 WORLD WIDE and a fraction 1/3rd 600,000 of that USA sales

1. Toyota sold over 11 Million Vehicles in 2023 and 2,248,477 of that USA

2. VW sold over 9 million Vehicles ... etc etc

Last edited:
Back