New AC Delco PF66 opened up

I ordered this filter from Amazon for my new Colorado ZR2. The can was dented so I decided not to use it. Amazon didn't want it back so here it is. Note the unusual box.

20231229_160002.jpg

20231229_160042.jpg

20231229_160033.jpg

20231229_160438.jpg

20231229_160445.jpg

20231229_160503.jpg

20231229_160533.jpg

20231229_160540.jpg

20231229_160717.jpg

Attachments

• 20231229_160033.jpg
    20231229_160033.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 7
Just me? ................... that ADBV serves no purpose with the punch/production techniques used on those holes and the areas betweeno_O
What you mean? If you're talking about the plate with the big holes over the base plate, the ADBV seals on the base plate, not that plate covering the base plate.

If that is in fact the way it operates then sure no problem if the lip is creating a proper seal.

I have however cut a filter/2 where that is not the case if memory serves

I'm going to break new BITOG ground here....with an observation.
I think the notches in the "wings" of the bypass spring (9th pic) allow hot oil to pass more than they'd allow cold oil too.
Ergo, I think this setup bypasses cold oil as a matter of design.
As the oil heats up, the resistance goes down and the oil gets filtered.

Whatcha all think on this New Year's Eve eve?

I think the notches in the "wings" of the bypass spring (9th pic) allow hot oil to pass more than they'd allow cold oil too.

Not really seeing how the notches would let oil into the center tube? They're on the far edges, oil can't get anywhere close to the center. Guessing this engine has a block mounted bypass?

That box design has been discussed before ... consensus was that it's a new design of the box by ACDelco.
It is GM's attempt to be more "global" (i.e., to sell more stuff to more people in more places). It's interesting that they want to enhance product security but the filter boxes are not sealed, thus allowing walmart shoppers to swap parts between boxes...

Not a good champ design. I miss the classic design that performed flawlessly. I reiterate that the E core takes up too much space making a small filter way too small for anything more than a little Kawasaki powered yard tractor.

And ... if I understand @LvR, the two-step FRAM-ish, ugly baseplate punch and stamping is suspect.

That box design has been discussed before ... consensus was that it's a new design of the box by ACDelco.

I ordered an AC Delco oil filter (Honda sized) and thought it was strange to have Asian lettering on box.

That's just the leaf spring to keep the filter guts tight. This filter has no bypass valve. As bullwinkle mentioned, probably specified for GM vehicles with the filter bypass built into the block.

Never a fan of uneven pleating, especially when paired with a plastic "cage style" centre tube.

How hard can it be to add three more pleats to ensure the integrity of the media!!

The box is typical ac delco. Not sure what language the asian text is but i'm assuming it is something to do with their isuzu partnership maybe?

IMG_9712.jpeg

Back