Luber-Finer PH2814 cut open

Luber-Finer (Champ labs) PH2814. I got this filter from Amazon, it came in a torn bag and had a good sized dent on the bottom of the can. I was able to get a refund without returning it, so decided to cut it open. This crosses to the Fram PH8172 and AC-Delco PF2210. I use these on a few zero turn engines with tighter clearance. They are under $6 on Amazon.

Overall it isn't bad, some wide pleat spacing but to me the most concerning part is the louvers seemed to not be open very wide. I have another one of these in the mower stash, and the louvers in that one look normal in comparison.

IMG_0128.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

Here's some playing around analysis with a dP calculator that shows what happens when the center tube holes or louver total flow area gets choked down. The starting"baseline" flow vs dP curve is with good holes or louvers. They can be choked down somewhat, down to around 30% of the baseline, before the flow vs dP really skyrockets.

1706321462641.jpeg

Here's some playing around analysis with a dP calculator that shows what happens when the center tube holes or louver total flow area gets choked down. The starting"baseline" flow vs dP curve is with good holes or louvers. They can be choked down somewhat, down to around 30% of the baseline, before the flow vs dP really skyrockets.

View attachment 200354
The louvers above look a lot more than 30% closed. Just my estimate.

Thanks for sharing the chart, very informative.

The louvers above look a lot more than 30% closed. Just my estimate.

Thanks for sharing the chart, very informative.
Yeah, that's the subjective (experience, feelings, opinion) part of looking at louvers. The graph just gives an idea that shows the flow area would have to be closed off pretty good to get into the skyrocketing dP realm. My advice has always been that if someone looks at louvers and they looked too choked down based on their inspection, then don't use the filter.

Nice, a free C&P. The specific filter looks like a bust w/the closed looking louvers. Low flow or not zero turns are not cheap to replace. If the louvers were good I'd say this is a good filter overall.

Low flow or not zero turns are not cheap to replace.
Flow would still be happening ... as some unfiltered oil would be going through the filter bypass valve. Even if the oil filer was totally blocked, there would be some oil going through the filter bypass valve, but total flow could be reduced IF the oil pump hit pressure relief.

So been thinking and I have a question.

Champ is usually E-core, no?

Fram used to be holes, now are louvers, but the louvers I have seen are more squared off - and very open.

So is this louver type typical for this model / First Brands in general?

Champ Labs made with what's known as a clicker type bypass. Only used on their lowest tier filters. C&p'd an STP S2808 once with same bypass. Sometimes Champ just uses the piece as a compression spring, with separate bypass.

As mentioned, louvers don't look well formed in the pic. If you still have it be interesting they look like with media removed and perhaps a light source like a flashlight put to it. Either from outside or down center tube, imo that is more revealing and conclusive. But again, with pic and commentary, seen better louvers.

Small OPE filter application, but with "tight clearance" mentioned, common 3614 application likely a no go.

Thanks for c&p.

I bought and used an Endurance recently and the louvers looked really good, but for whatever reason louvers seem to be plagued by inconsistency. If I couldn’t examine a louvered filter in the store I’d be leery of buying it. And I would still rather have a bunch of proper holes personally.

Such is the life of an oil and filter nerd. 🤣

This is only the 4th or 5th one of these filters I've had in my possession. I only use them on the small engines that have a really tight clearance. For example my grandfather's Scag mower has a 22.5hp Kohler V-Twin with a sandwich style oil cooler that mounts between the block and the filter. There is a support bar for the machine right behind the filter, so I can't even screw on the normal ph3614 sized filters I use.

With that said, I probably won't buy these anymore. They are ~$6 on Amazon, which is a deal compared to the $16-17 for the shorter Briggs filters, Fram PH8170 or Napa 7035. The closest thing would be an AC Delco PF2210, but the last one of those I bought was $9 and had basically the same construction. Luckily I just bought a 12 pack of the shorter Kawasaki filters online, part 49065-0721. They are a Champ filter with e-core, silicone ADBV, and dome end bypass that would fit in these tight locations. The price I got them for works out to about $7/filter which I think is a good deal for the applications they will be used for. Having used these filters before I liked how tough the can seemed as well, so they will probably become my go-to for mowers as long as I can find them for a good price. I'm tired of buying 2 or 3 filters at a time from Amazon or Walmart and having them damaged or get lost in shipping. The $2-3 more for a better filter that shows up in a case seems well worth it.

I bought and used an Endurance recently and the louvers looked really good, but for whatever reason louvers seem to be plagued by inconsistency. If I couldn’t examine a louvered filter in the store I’d be leery of buying it. And I would still rather have a bunch of proper holes personally.

Such is the life of an oil and filter nerd. 🤣
I actually really like the Supertech MP filters because of the silicone ADBV, e-core, and dome end bypass all for around $5. My issue is that my Walmart never has them in stock, and ordering from WalMart online has been a huge issue for me. I've had to do 3 charge backs on my card in the last 6 months for items that were "damaged in shipping, returned to shipper" but I was never refunded for. If it is as big of a problem for me, a guy who just does mower and car maintenance on the side in his garage, I can't imagine how much stuff is actually damaged and wasted.

Back