Fram Ultra - weak cans?

I jumped on the Fram Ultra bandwagon (#XG7317) after my supply of Genuine Honda oil filters ran out. I acquired 10-15 from various sources, both WM and Amazon, IIRC.

Of the 5 or 6 I've used so far, 3 have had numerous dents on the can. Not sure if all of these were from the same vendor. Some of the dents have been large, some are small. Still, I have never experienced a dented can until now.

Are the Fram cans unusually weak or prone to damage?

Fram uses what I'd consider to be the "standard" oil can thickness around 15-20 thou where some filters may use a can closer to 20-25 thou. Oil filters overall are pretty thin and can be easily dented if throw around in transit with inadequate packing. In general you should not use a filter with dents in it, oil filters are subject to constant variances in pressure a dent or crease in the can creates a point where the slight expansion and contraction of the can under pressure variance may cause the can to fatigue and rupture, also dens down near the crimp seam may have damaged the integrity of the crimp seal and make it more likely to leak or catastrophically blow apart.

I bought a case of XG8A filters a few years ago. Most were dented. I spoke with someone technical at Fram, and they told me never to use a dented filter. Fram provided return postage for the filters and shipped a new case to me.

I've purchased several OG XG7317 online (maybe Pep Boys) and had them shipped, no issues with dents. I've never had an issue with can thickness in any filter I've used including the OG XG. So don't really pay much attention that detail. Biggest complaint I've had with the OG XG, "sure grip" coating. Makes using a cap wrench, my preferred removal tool, difficult to impossible to use. Slips on the "sure" grip coating.

As noted, poor packaging likely biggest culprit.

I jumped on the Fram Ultra bandwagon (#XG7317) after my supply of Genuine Honda oil filters ran out. I acquired 10-15 from various sources, both WM and Amazon, IIRC.

Of the 5 or 6 I've used so far, 3 have had numerous dents on the can. Not sure if all of these were from the same vendor. Some of the dents have been large, some are small. Still, I have never experienced a dented can until now.

With my bare hands only I could squeeze a Fram Ultra, filter and it would put a deflection in the can.

Not a dent though obviously.

Could never do that with a Wix or a Mobil 1 Camp Lab made filter.

The OG Ultra's biggest weakness. Thin can, bad paint, flaking Sure Grip coating, all causing rust. Wish one could get an OG Ultra in the Bosch Distance Plus can...

The FRU cans are thin. I'd never run a Fram Ultra that was exposed to debris in any way.
I'd switch to an AMSOIL AE/AO series if the filter was even lightly exposed to debris.

The only upside to the thin can is a stronger magnetic field through it.

You can see the dimensional buildup of metal after 20K mile run in a truck under load.

IMG_4784.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a case of XG8A filters a few years ago. Most were dented. I spoke with someone technical at Fram, and they told me never to use a dented filter. Fram provided return postage for the filters and shipped a new case to me.

I got a set of six XG8A from that SAE seller on ebay... One had a dent in it and rattled around. I tossed it. Just bought another set of six this last week, no dents, whew!

I think the risk with a dented can is that the filter is no longer sitting where it's supposed to be and you could be in bypass all the time.

I got a set of six XG8A from that SAE seller on ebay... One had a dent in it and rattled around. I tossed it. Just bought another set of six this last week, no dents, whew!

I think the risk with a dented can is that the filter is no longer sitting where it's supposed to be and you could be in bypass all the time.
I bought a few eBay OG Ultra 6-packs, one of them had 4 of the 6 XG5s dented! Got 2/3 of my money back, but I gave up after that…

The Ultra leaf springs collapse easily, and any dent can cause a crack & catastrophic leak (from flexing/oil pressure pulsing).

I could also means the ADBV is not pinched tightly between the filter element and base plate. That's a dangerous situation because the delta-p inside the filter could push the ADBV into the engine ... especially on cold winter day start-ups when the delta-p is highest.

Back