New 18 STI Factory fill UOA 1,300 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Just pointing out, I assume you are running the black Edge? That product has a good slug of boron and a decent moly level as well. Additionally they put a small amount of titanium in. It's a good oil so you shouldn't worry about your choice. The gold Edge is also a very good oil. Nothing wrong with Redline but be sure you understand it does not carry the API starburst. Subaru could be picky on that if a warranty repair came up.

Congrats on the new Subie.

Yes the black bottle. I had only heard good things about it in the past on here. Thanks.

That's because it is an excellent oil and holds certifications/approvals for some of the most demanding applications out there. Use it with confidence.

Do you think that is from the engine build or they put it in the factory fill oil? I wonder if I should have kept it in longer? Most like to do the first change around 1k miles or so.

I am also running Castrol Edge 5w30 now.

The moly is from the moly coated pistons as well as the factory fill oil. Also note the high levels of ZDDP. Don't be alarmed if the 'Murican Castrol Edge 5W30 also comes back as a 20 grade. It's pretty standard for these engines to shear GF5 oils down to a 20 grade even if you only run it to 3k miles

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Redline but be sure you understand it does not carry the API starburst. Subaru could be picky on that if a warranty repair came up.

This is what the manual says.
When adding oil, you may use different brands together as long as they are the same API classification and SAE viscosity
as those recommended by SUBARU.

API (American Petroleum Institute)
classification SN with the
words “RESOURCE CONSERVING”
or
ILSAC (International Lubricant
Specification Advisory Committee)
GF-5, which can be identified
with the ILSAC certification
mark (Starburst mark)

It looks like the gold bottle Castrol is the better oil as well from what I have read. If I stick with castrol maybe I will switch to that.

It looks like the gold bottle Castrol is the better oil as well from what I have read. If I stick with castrol maybe I will switch to that.

If you plan to stick with Castrol buy your 5 quarts of 30 weight with receipt and all to support your warranty. Substitute a quart or two with Edge 0/w40 to boost the viscosity/HTHS. Help that EJ motor out... anything resource conserving is going to take a beating in that motor.

Nice car by the way
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Swifty

If you plan to stick with Castrol buy your 5 quarts of 30 weight with receipt and all to support your warranty. Substitute a quart or two with Edge 0/w40 to boost the viscosity/HTHS. Help that EJ motor out... anything resource conserving is going to take a beating in that motor.

Nice car by the way
smile.gif

Thanks. I didnt think the gold edge had the resource conserving label but I have not checked in person yet. Next time I go to walmart I may pick some up.

Congrats on the new STI! What color did you end up getting ?

I ran the FF until 3,200 miles, and switched to PUP 5w-30 for 3 oil changes; in which the 3rd is still sitting in the garage, I still haven't gotten around to sending in that UOA. I ended up switching to Motul X-clean 5w-30 FE for the most recent oil change.

Originally Posted By: Tiir

I ran the FF until 3,200 miles, and switched to PUP 5w-30 for 3 oil changes; in which the 3rd is still sitting in the garage, I still haven't gotten around to sending in that UOA. I ended up switching to Motul X-clean 5w-30 FE for the most recent oil change.

Thanks, I got Lapis Blue Pearl.

Originally Posted By: Tiir

Thanks, I got Lapis Blue Pearl.

01.gif

Nothing wrong with Redline but be sure you understand it does not carry the API starburst. Subaru could be picky on that if a warranty repair came up.

This is what the manual says.
When adding oil, you may use different brands together as long as they are the same API classification and SAE viscosity
as those recommended by SUBARU.

API (American Petroleum Institute)
classification SN with the
words “RESOURCE CONSERVING”
or
ILSAC (International Lubricant
Specification Advisory Committee)
GF-5
, which can be identified
with the ILSAC certification
mark (Starburst mark)

Good luck finding an oil that is Resource Conserving OR has the ILSAC Starburst (Resource Conserving oils always have the Starburst and the API Donut). Also good luck finding a "5W40 conventional" since that is allowed for replenishment.

And don't forget the part on page 11-15 that states:

Quote:
Note
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

I see that the viscosity and temperature chart still shows 5W-40 but are they referring to the "5W-40 conventional" that is allowed for replenishment and doesn't exist, or does this refer to the higher viscosity requirement in higher temps?

Confused yet?

Thank you CAFE and thank you to the 3-5 different departments at SoA that had input into the owner's manual recommendations. Email SoA and tell them that you'd like to use a 5W40 conventional for replenishment and ask them to recommend one.

grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I sent an email to SOA asking if I can use a 5w40 euro spec oil or even redline and still be covered. Here is a pic of my STI.

Now that is funny...
33.gif
I would really like to hear what SOA's answer would be.

Last edited:
I sent an email to SOA asking if I can use a 5w40 euro spec oil or even redline and still be covered. Here is a pic of my STI.

Nice car... if you do get an answer get it in writing.

Originally Posted By: Swifty

Nice car... if you do get an answer get it in writing.

Yes, I will have it in email
smile.gif
. I plan to keep the car stock as well for the warranty period.

Several years ago someone on nasioc emailed SoA and asked about Red Line and they said it was fine.
A few years later someone else on nasioc emailed SoA and they said that Customer Service Rep was incorrect and that particular CSR no longer works for SoA.

Nice car Spdfrk!

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Do your vehicle a huge favor - use the best oil from the start. Like this here. 0w30 or 0w40 is what I would recommend, but 5w30 is fine as well. 0w30 and 0w40 just have a wider range of operating temperatures.

I have not read anything bad about Castrol Edge and been using it for awhile now in my other vehicles. Using the 5w30 to stick to what the manual calls for so I dont have any issues with warranty if I ever have engine trouble.
When it comes to warranty - they will only need proof that the oil changes were done in timely manner (receipts) and they might test the viscosity. When it comes to viscosity test - they will only be able to test for the operating viscosity. So 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 15w30, 20w30, 25w30, SAE30 will all look the same on their warranty testing. Based on this I would definitely find the MOST ROBUST oil in 30 grade available for the STI. RedLine 0w30 or 5w30 or even 10w30 will most definitely eliminate any oil-related issues for many years/miles to come. And after warranty is over - you could easily stretch it out to 10k OCI, like many here do with amazing UOA results on RedLine oils. Unless you do a lot of track days.

Castrol oils have their additive levels slashed by the API certifications. High performance engines NEED those additives. Redline oils have one of the highest amounts of additives to battle anything that happens inside an engine.

Think of it as boxer vs MMA fighter. Boxer with boxer gloves and boxing rules will not last long in a MMA cage vs an MMA fighter who follows MMA rules during a fight, since boxers are limited to only arms and upper body, while MMA fighters can and will use their whole body to the fullest potential in a fight.

Agree with the bolded, but I'll differ with using Red-Line. I exchanged some e-mails with my service advisor right when I bought my 2017 STi and he confirmed that I should stick with an API approved 5w30 for warranty purposes. He told me the particular API spec wasn't as important, but that it should have an API approval and needs to be a full synthetic 5w30 with receipts for proof of changes.

I changed out my FF at 1,000 miles for break-in, changed again at 3k, and my first full interval will be at 6k (now at just 4,100). I'll do my first UOA then, so no proof that what I'm doing is working, but I opted for the most robust API approved 5w30 I could find and chose this - http://www.motul.com/ba/en/products/8100-x-clean-5w30. ECS Tuning has 5L jugs for $35 with free shipping, it's API SM certified, and has a HTHS of 3.5. It'll be a stretch to run 6k with it, which is why I'm choosing to split the interval and change it out every 3k, but I'm hoping this will be the best combination of protection and friendliness with the warranty.

Enjoy the STi! I'm having a blast with mine.
19.gif

My 04 STi starts quicker in any weather with Motul. Even my passengers noticed it. It might be a half second difference but my completely unscientific conclusion is that it stays on the cylinder walls longer after shutting off.
I would not feel comfortable stretching out the oci past 5,000 miles. This concern is about clean oil not necessarily about oil breakdown.
Love the color and the six piston front brakes.

The regular x-clean motul does not look to have the api sn cert on the bottle that subaru recommends. The x-clean efe or fe does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back