Nissan 0W20 Factory Fill, 1,785 mi, 2023 Armada 5.6 DGI

New vehicle purchase late last year. I've never done any UOA's at the first oil change on my other vehicles but decided to do it on this one. After getting the report back, I'm kind of concerned with the very high copper levels. I know I'm going through break-in but looking at other reports in general I'm seeing lower copper levels. For the change, I used Valvoline Advanced 0W20 Synthetic and a Nissan 15208-9E01A Filter.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

1708736644046.jpg

I'm by no means a UOA guru, but I concur. Early UOAs give false readings that include higher than normal particle counts while breaking in. IIRC, around 30k miles is when UOAs become more accurate.; YMMV.

Last edited:
One reason not to do UOA on an engine breaking in. My 17 3.6 Outback broke in rather readily but my 15 F150 took a lot longer in comparison. You went there and it's all good. My advice is to let it settle in and do a few more OCI's before the next UOA. I like to drain FF early and slowly increase OCI mileage and then do a UOA.

I had a 10 Armada in our family and the engine was stout and sweet. Enjoy in good health.

No real reason to do a uoa on an engine early on unless you're worried about dilution, the metals are always high. with a visc of 6.6 it's a little low. Use any free dealer change and after that bump to something thicker. I started using 0/5w-40 by the 2 year 14k mile mark on my 21 escalade which is still under warranty and i have zero fears, don't care to use 0w-20 in it. Dealers almost never do uoa's, they just check to see if the oil is at level and then take a valve cover off to see if it looks sludged.

No real reason to do a uoa on an engine early on unless you're worried about dilution, the metals are always high. with a visc of 6.6 it's a little low. Use any free dealer change and after that bump to something thicker. I started using 0/5w-40 by the 2 year 14k mile mark on my 21 escalade which is still under warranty and i have zero fears, don't care to use 0w-20 in it. Dealers almost never do uoa's, they just check to see if the oil is at level and then take a valve cover off to see if it looks sludged.
But the Engineers designed the Escalade to run on 0w20 🥹🥹. Please switch

We should not get worried about this first sample b/c there is no trend yet. Run it another 1500 miles & re-sample.

New vehicle purchase late last year.... I'm kind of concerned with the very high copper levels. I know I'm going through break-in but looking at other reports in general I'm seeing lower copper levels. For the change, ...

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Copper oil cooler leaching. Normal for break-in that it would be elevated. I would bump to a 30 grade or at least sub a couple qts of 30 in there.

rambling thoughts: I wish the filters were larger. I ran Nissan Armada V8 filters on my NIssan Rogue 4 banger and even they proved too small for good cold winter running. Bumped that up to an even larger 14 dollar Honda S2000 filter and even that one tore pleats. A Guy can't get a break these modern days.

- Ken

Last edited:
Copper oil cooler leaching. Normal for break-in that it would be elevated. I would bump to a 30 grade or at least sub a couple qts of 30 in there.

rambling thoughts: I wish the filters were larger. I ran Nissan Armada V8 filters on my NIssan Rogue 4 banger and even they proved too small for good cold winter running. Bumped that up to an even larger 14 dollar Honda S2000 filter and even that one tore pleats. A Guy can't get a break these modern days.

- Ken
The large Nissan oil filter isn't really that large and especially for a V8.

Where in tarnations did 37 Manganese find their way inside this engine? Do they bite?

The engine lost enough vis (6.6) to shearing (two points). Lost it in less than 2k miles. But flashpoint looks fine (420) and that's not common with Blackstone reports.

There is always value in doing a UOA on a new engine, because you can keep an eye on when the engine is finished breaking in. The first UOA will have higher wear metals in it and as it trends downwards and settles that's when you'll know that it's done breaking in.

Here's a resample of my first oil change with Oil Analyzers in Indianapolis. I decided to do this to see how much difference between this and Blackstone that was previously done.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 6.39.57 PM.jpg

I can't read it clearly, is that viscosity 9.5 from Oil Analyzers? If so, that is glaringly different than Blackstone's 6.6. Considering it's supposed to be 0W20, looks like BS is closer to reality this time. I'd suggest to OA to retest the viscosity and tell them why. This is supposed to be 0W20 oil, so if it's reading 9.5, it's way out of grade (on the thick side). Either that, or BS got it wrong and the factory fill is actually 0W30.

I can't read it clearly, is that viscosity 9.5 from Oil Analyzers? If so, that is glaringly different than Blackstone's 6.6. Considering it's supposed to be 0W20, looks like BS is closer to reality this time. I'd suggest to OA to retest the viscosity and tell them why. This is supposed to be 0W20 oil, so if it's reading 9.5, it's way out of grade (on the thick side). Either that, or BS got it wrong and the factory fill is actually 0W30.
It is 9.5 for the viscosity. Thanks for the comment. I will verify with OA.

Back