2003 VW Passat W8 wagon 119K mi/Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 4K mi OCI

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Second UOA after 2.5 years/12K miles. Looks about the same. Lots of fuel here but this is almost exclusively short-tripped so no suprise there. This time I have HPL Euro 5W40 in and will be doing a 2 year OCI which should be between 6-8K miles is my guess and will do a UOA at that time to see how the HPL looks for what you can see in a UOA - I ran the engine cleaner (2 qts as this is a 9 qt fill) on a prior change (not shown here). She is purring right along and will be making a long >1K mile trip in April to the annual Wookies in The Woods event at the Tail of the Dragon in NC.

The higher Moly and Boron for the first UOA are from the Ceratec I ran. The LLHT does look to be a different formulation now with the differences in the Ca/Mg values. Finally, nice to see that Si drop down to a reasonable number this time...originally the high value (44 ppm) was from all the work I had done after purchase with a new oil pan goop seal as the likely culprit.

S023856-page-001.jpg

Yeah, it looks like comparable wear between both & good that the silicon has come down. This latest one is a bit thin though for a 5w-40.

Yeah, it looks like comparable wear between both & good that the silicon has come down. This latest one is a bit thin though for a 5w-40.
Fuel.....350 flash point is really low and to have BS report ANY fuel (1.8%) means there is a LOT of fuel in my experience. Makes sense, all short trips.

I may just drive up each day, have friends in Asheville if I need to stay somewhere (sorry, not trying to turn this into a WITW thread). Got some fun beers for the exchange too.

Oh, and regarding fuel, have you done a leakdown on the injectors yet? Notorious leakers especially with some age. Mine were getting close at the last valve cleaning, but still tight. May be time for an overhaul or new set for yours .

Oh, and regarding fuel, have you done a leakdown on the injectors yet? Notorious leakers especially with some age. Mine were getting close at the last valve cleaning, but still tight. May be time for an overhaul or new set for yours .
No. If it runs I drive it. I don't ask a lot of questions.

I take it this is the newer SP formulation with less CA than the previous SN?

Second UOA after 2.5 years/12K miles. Looks about the same. Lots of fuel here but this is almost exclusively short-tripped so no suprise there. This time I have HPL Euro 5W40 in and will be doing a 2 year OCI which should be between 6-8K miles is my guess and will do a UOA at that time to see how the HPL looks for what you can see in a UOA - I ran the engine cleaner (2 qts as this is a 9 qt fill) on a prior change (not shown here). She is purring right along and will be making a long >1K mile trip in April to the annual Wookies in The Woods event at the Tail of the Dragon in NC.

The higher Moly and Boron for the first UOA are from the Ceratec I ran. The LLHT does look to be a different formulation now with the differences in the Ca/Mg values. Finally, nice to see that Si drop down to a reasonable number this time...originally the high value (44 ppm) was from all the work I had done after purchase with a new oil pan goop seal as the likely culprit.

View attachment 205525
Good report and good oci 4 u.

Back