Nevada Is Clamping Down On Classic Car Registrations

If you’re driving a beater to skirt safety by getting a classic car license, you can still get a fix it ticket for a brake light etc whilst driving.

Theoretically. The cops (at least around here) don't even bother to pull people over for things like red foglights in the front or flashing blue and red lights in the wheel wells, so they likely absolutely don't care one bit about a burned out brake light.

Nothing. Insurance would need the address/zip code of where the car is registered, so that would need to be legit.
They are pretty strict with regards to insurance here.
Friend, relative, even UPS store address. Insurance wants to know where it's garaged and where it will be driven. Doesn't really matter where it's registered. I have cars registered in Florida and Virginia and the renewals are sent to my Maryland address so they don't care

Maryland requires:

1. INSPECT UNIVERSAL JOINTS/CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINTS FOR:
    1. Attachment and Worn, Damaged Or Loose Joints
    2. Torn or Damaged CV Joint Boot

Only when purchasing a vehicle. After that you no longer have to do annual inspections. So, there's some serious beaters on the road with regular plates. Long as they pass that emissions test every other year they could care less...

Maryland requires:

1. INSPECT UNIVERSAL JOINTS/CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINTS FOR:
    1. Attachment and Worn, Damaged Or Loose Joints
    2. Torn or Damaged CV Joint Boot
You first mentioned Virginia.
Just found out that Virginia's safety inspection won't fail a vehicle if the CV boot is cracked and spewing grease everywhere. The CV joint and boot are not part of the inspection.
Different states have different requirements.

Only when purchasing a vehicle. After that you no longer have to do annual inspections. So, there's some serious beaters on the road with regular plates. Long as they pass that emissions test every other year they could care less...

I occasionally see Maryland vehicles around Northern Virginia, but never anything that called attention to itself for being a serious beater. Maybe they don't drive them into Virginia much.

As far as Virginia's safety inspection goes, I think it's funny that the safety inspection manual specifically states that wood is an acceptable repair for a hole in the vehicle's floorpan. Git 'r' done!

I occasionally see Maryland vehicles around Northern Virginia, but never anything that called attention to itself for being a serious beater. Maybe they don't drive them into Virginia much.

I doubt those beater vehicles could travel very far down I-81... :ROFLMAO:

Don't even get me started on the junk from West Virginia, whoo boy...

Not that I have much room to talk, my old beater Talon was barely road worthy and had a "good" inspection sticker, sooo...

MD is way stricter with vehicle inspection than VA which is reflected in the cost. $90-$100 is the going rate currently. Very few $1000 beaters are going to pass without spending another $1000 minimum in repairs.

In South Carolina "classic Car" is very restrictive, can only be used for official events like parades, etc.. A friend of mine lives in TN and has his registered as a classic - he can only drive it on weekends but insurance is very cheap.

As mentioned, just register it as a regular car.
It should be noted that classic registration, and classic insurance are two different things.

NJ is as you describe. Need to submit pictures of totally original, unmodified cars over a certain age. Spoiler that didn’t come on it? Non OE wheels? Etc. are reasons for denial. The benefit of classic is a $44 registration that lasts three years.

I’ve seen other states like MD where it’s used as a workaround for emissions or safety inspection. That’s not the point and is a problem. Maybe the cars have to be above a certain age too, but I’ve seen some very non-historic cars running the plates.

Classic insurance can be had on cars with regular plates/registration. I know, I have like nine cars on my policy. You can have riders that allow for limited commuting and road use, but you need to prove that you have other DDs.

yeah, they come from ALL over. VT state coffers benefit (motorcycle OR car/truck). But
that's not in OP's topic vector. This (VT) is more like Cali's horde of MT registrations / Cali garages/actual addresses.

Same reason as $20 oil changes. To get people in the door and sell them needed or unnecessary repairs. I'm sure the auto repair shop lobby would do all it can to maintain annual safety inspections in VA. And it's more than check the lights and horn. I had to replace ball joints and repair a slight exhaust leak to pass my Sequoia.
And I had to re-aim my headlight, although it had passed several previous times in two other states and once previously in Virginia

And I had to re-aim my headlight, although it had passed several previous times in two other states and once previously in Virginia

I've never seen any shop in Virginia actually check the headlight aim during a safety inspection, although a headlight aiming machine is a required tool to be a safety inspection station.

Back