Cars are popular again!

My point being, nearly all regular car models have lost sales over the past decade. Some of them substantially so. Where have those sales gone to? Trucks and SUVs.

Of course, someone is going to come on here and cherry pick their favorite car as an exception. They always do. :rolleyes: I am generalizing here.
Not really cherry pick... The fact is they still sell and people are still buying them...simple..

Not really cherry pick... The fact is they still sell and people are still buying them...simple..
Especially since domestic makers have literally abandoned the small-mid sized car market, Honda, Toyota and Mazda largely own that segment. Chrysler brings out one dud after another, GM doesn't seem to have a clue and Ford, having pretty much failed with EV's is also floundering around. The small-midsized traditional ICE sedans and hatchbacks seem to be having a renaissance as people discover the limitations and drawbacks of EV's.

Especially since domestic makers have literally abandoned the small-mid sized car market, Honda, Toyota and Mazda largely own that segment. Chrysler brings out one dud after another, GM doesn't seem to have a clue and Ford, having pretty much failed with EV's is also floundering around. The small-midsized traditional ICE sedans and hatchbacks seem to be having a renaissance as people discover the limitations and drawbacks of EV's.
Your right on Chrysler. I remember the Chrysler 200 how it goes head to head with Accord and Camry.....and the Dodge Dart competing with the Civic....Ya right how did that work out... I remember the commercial for the Chrysler 200 in the Super Bowl....Chryslers ..import ...from Detroit.... :ROFLMAO:

I personally do not want or need all the fancy stuff. cruise,Good seat, power steering,brakes AC and radio. ABS is nice.
I remember when that was all upscale options... heck the passenger rearview mirror on my 2000 Saturn was an option, as was the a/c. Next model up got power steering. Forget about what I drove the decade before.

I have to admit, I enjoyed my '99 Camry for what it was, but wow it's like stepping into a different century in my '21.

Your right on Chrysler. I remember the Chrysler 200 how it goes head to head with Accord and Camry.....and the Dodge Dart competing with the Civic....Ya right how did that work out... I remember the commercial for the Chrysler 200 in the Super Bowl....Chryslers ..import ...from Detroit.... :ROFLMAO:

Just like the Neon, the Dart/300 were great competitors to their Japanese counterparts on paper and right off the dealer lot. Unfortunately, just like the Neon, they turned out to not be a great car long term.

What Chrysler needed was a Cavalier. A crappy car off the dealer lot , but a crappy car that just keeps running and running and running and running.

Just like the Neon, the Dart/300 were great competitors to their Japanese counterparts on paper and right off the dealer lot. Unfortunately, just like the Neon, they turned out to not be a great car long term.

What Chrysler needed was a Cavalier. A crappy car off the dealer lot , but a crappy car that just keeps running and running and running and running.
The Neon and the Dart were not even a great car in the SHORT term either....

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This should be in more driveways in the USA than it is ..
View attachment 175553

I don't know if you've researched a new Versa S 5MT, but they've basically been unobtainable since they came out. As per Nissan's custom, there's no "ordering" what you want for most dealerships. They get what they get from the manufacturer. Dealer locates for a 5MT are by luck.

The clutch, it's hydraulic actuation and the gearbox in general look like something off an MTD lawn mower on a Versa of any vintage anyway. I wound't trust it much more than the CVT that mates to these.

The cool thing about even the newest Versii is they are port injected. No GDI for these.

I'm probably going to jinx my 2015 Versa S sedan now, but it's been an excellent, reliable and extremely low cost vehicle to own. I've owned it since 2019.

The Neon and the Dart were not even a great car in the SHORT term either....
I miss my 1995 Plymouth Neon, as I got it as a gift, replacing the headgasket wasn't a big deal, but I wouldn't be happy if I bought it new! They rushed into production with some problems on the line even, but that seems to be the big 3 way fairly often.
Once I had a new headgasket, proper length springs, and decent bump stops, it wouldn't die even after doing a half roll on the track...

I don't know if you've researched a new Versa S 5MT, but they've basically been unobtainable since they came out.
I was wondering: Did they stop making the Versa for awhile? I noticed they only sold 13K of them in the US last year, yet they're still in the catalog even today. That's way down from the years where they were selling 100K+.

I generally prefer the hatchbacks because they are so roomy inside, but eventually bought a Honda Fit mainly on CKN's frequent recommendations. It has most of the roominess of an SUV at triple the gas mileage and it's so anonymous on the road it would make the perfect bank robber's getaway car. Not because it's fast (it isn't!) but because it is so invisible.

The Contour was supposed to be a "world car"......I can't remember the last one I saw on the road here. Yeah, they'd be old by now but there's still Honda and Toyota from that era running around.

Reactions: hrv
The Contour was supposed to be a "world car"......I can't remember the last one I saw on the road here. Yeah, they'd be old by now but there's still Honda and Toyota from that era running around.
without a doubt my Ford Contour was the biggest POS I ever owned......Fords moot was quality is job 1....Well this Contour was...Problems from day 1.....:mad:

I was wondering: Did they stop making the Versa for awhile? I noticed they only sold 13K of them in the US last year, yet they're still in the catalog even today. That's way down from the years where they were selling 100K+.

It seems as if they concentrated more on pumping out Rogues, Pathfinders and anything else more profitable for them. Nissan swapped over to the current "new" style Versa back in 2020. In today's market, you'd think they'd sell like crazy, but the ones they offer on the lots are priced right along with the larger Sentra, making the versa sedan kind of pointless.

I like the look of the new Civics, especially the Si. I'd definitely buy a 6-speed Civic, unfortunately the dealer markup is insane on anything fun. I'm fortunate enough where I can afford it, but I'm not dumb enough to pay more for something than I think it is worth. Some of these places want crazy money for a Civic Si. The whole "allocation" thing for a fun car is stupid. If they are popular, they should build and sell as many as possible.
I'd get a Civic hatchback if I could get it in a lesser trim.

Chevrolet still makes the Malibu, but good luck actually finding one available for sale on the dealer lots.
Dodge still makes the Charger as well. Very dated at this point, but if someone wants RWD...

Oh wait, nevermind, looks like it's being discontinued with 2023 being the last year.

I’m selling my Jeep YJ and one potential buyer was looking at it for his 16 year old son, as they can’t find affordable cars. Since my Jeep needs an engine, and he can do that kind of work (I just don’t want to), it’s an option. Then he got a suspension repair bill that was 4 digits for his wife’s fancy Escalade.

I wonder how many nice old cars that are affordable compared to new will end up in the street. Cars are all that left you can afford, plus they save on gas.

Back