Nevada Is Clamping Down On Classic Car Registrations

Per State Farm insurance company. I can't purchase the special insurance unless it's put on a trailer and not driven on roadways and less than a 1,000 miles a year.

Sensationalist language on Yahoo's part.
All this extreme talk on this and the current "GPS speed control" thread.

This is the politics of distraction.
Even the most limited of us get something to stand for......be angry about.....be susceptible to suggestions of taking up arms against.

C'mon people, things ain't that serious.

In South Carolina "classic Car" is very restrictive, can only be used for official events like parades, etc.. A friend of mine lives in TN and has his registered as a classic - he can only drive it on weekends but insurance is very cheap.

As mentioned, just register it as a regular car.

Big deal. Don't register the car as a classic.
Bingo! I've been down that path here in Cali a couple of times. Among the reasons I chose not to register my old Cad convertible in that manner was, to do so, I'd have had to get special plates and I wanted to keep the original.

It should be noted that numerous states have classic registration and the insurance companies and the states put restrictions on the number of miles you can drive, require that the cars be safe (to varying degrees with different states), and insist on insurance if you want to drive your baby on public streets.

IMO, this is no big deal ... no commies in my garage or under my bed.

Don't know about Neveda but around people register as historic because repairs needed to pass inspection would cost thousands if registered normally.

So people drive potentially unsafe cars because they don't have to do the inspection. Great.

If you saw the cars people drive here because there's no inspection you may change your mind about it.

So people drive potentially unsafe cars because they don't have to do the inspection. Great.
Some of the requirements to pass are overly strict.
A crack in the windshield. How is that unsafe? $200-$500 to replace.
An oil, transmission or power steering fluid leak. $200-$1000+ to fix.
A worn motor mount. $200- $400 to replace.

LTtpAp5.jpg

Some of the requirements to pass are overly strict.
A crack in the windshield. How is that unsafe? $200-$500 to replace.
An oil, transmission or power steering fluid leak. $200-$1000+ to fix.
A worn motor mount. $200- $400 to replace.
And someone not fixing those things isn't worrying about brakes or tires or ball joints about to fail or suspension mounting points rusting off or brake lights working.

Don't know about Neveda but around people register as historic because repairs needed to pass inspection would cost thousands if registered normally.
Then I assume there's still mileage or some other restrictions? I seriously doubt the state would allow a daily driver to be registered as a classic.

Nevada's smog check only applies to Clark and Washoe Counties anyway :unsure:
(Vegas and Reno)

outside those counties, even non-collector cars are exempt from inspection.

Then I assume there's still mileage or some other restrictions? I seriously doubt the state would allow a daily driver to be registered as a classic.
I/We certify under oath that the vehicle will only be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, and occasional transportation. I/We further certify this vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways, for employment, for transportation to and from employment or school, or for commercial purposes.

You can daily something for years without getting pulled over if you are a careful driver. Not sure they can enforce that unless pulled over for some other violation. And even then, they can make up a plausible story, especially with that "occasional transportation" clause. But officer, I was just on the way to the repair shop for some maintenance.

Back