NEMA 10-30 extension cord for Tesla charging

I don't know squat about electricity, so I need guidance form the experts. Don't wanna burn down the house!
We have a home in Petaluma (90 miles from home) that has indoor warsher and dryer. The dryer uses the older NENA 10-30 plug.
I can charge our Model 3 with that recepticle, but I need maybe 10' to 15' to reach since the dryer is inside the house, right by the garage entrance door.

The car pulls a max of 32A at home, but that's on a NEMA 14-50 dedicated circuit.
Is a short extension cord doable? I know a dedicated circuit from the panel makes more sense...
If you can recommend a quality extension cord, that would be great. Safety first!

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

On a 10-30 you're limited to 24 amps.

I know of no commercially available extension cords for that application (that I'd trust, anyway). You could make one using 10/3 SOW or SJEOOW cord and the appropriate connectors.

This minus me not knowing a 10-30 was limited to 24 amps.

I've been thinking that for some applications it would be necessary to reduce the charging rate of my Model 3. This sounds like one of those applications.

If the (above) cable is rated at 16 Amps, 80% of that (ie 12 Amps) should be safe for a prolonged charge. And if the NENA 10-30 plug can safely handle 24 Amps (as Brian 703 says) you'd be golden.

Not as fast as charging at home (ie 32 Amps) but for occasional use, you would think it should be fine. But then again, keep in mind that I'm no electrical whiz either.

On a 10-30 you're limited to 24 amps.

I know of no commercially available extension cords for that application (that I'd trust, anyway). You could make one using 10/3 SOW or SJEOOW cord and the appropriate connectors.
Simply go to homeless depot and purchase the wire and components. it may not be as fancy as a cord with molded connectors but will be just fine. And you can make it the exact length you need.

I have multiple similar cords. Yesterday I discovered one I had forgotten about on top of a cabinet. I made it 25 years ago to move my TIG welder to the driveway or other garage bay for working on larger projects. It has this $10 surface mount recepticle on it and 6/3 wire.

Last edited:
Simply go to homeless depot and purchase the wire and components. it may not be as fancy as a cord with molded connectors but will be just fine. And you can make it the exact length you need.

I have multiple similar cords. Yesterday I discovered one I had forgotten about on top of a cabinet. I made it 25 years ago to move my TIG welder to the driveway or other garage bay for working on larger projects. It has this $10 surface mount recepticle on it and 6/3 wire.

I made an extension for our current dryer the same way.

Back