Extension Cords

Yellow Jacket, or Southwire. Don't look any further. I'm a tradesman and that is all that really holds up. I have a 100' YJ 14awg that is 15 years old, I amazingly flexible and still like new after many years of use, dragging, coiling etc.

I can confirm that Yellow Jacket extension cords were the cord of choice for running under data center floors by shady internet service providers in the late 90s.

Well I contacted CCI about my Yellow Jacket shown above in this thread. It's a little ambiguous what exactly is warrantied but YJs do have a LT warranty.

A new cord arrived today.

Finally , because this is the internet it won't matter but I'll say it anyway: feel free to shame me for warrantying a cord from circa '05. I merely asked. They were helpful and shipped a new cord. I'm returning the original to them for inspection. Criticism welcome (well, actually, I just don't care) ---- it will fall on deaf ears.
20220909_200048.jpg
20220909_210411.jpg

Went with this one:

$35 + $4.50 shipping was less than 1/2 of the Southwire options. It will only be used a few times per month and won't be used in temperature extremes. 100' is too much of a hassle to use, but it is a good cord to keep around....especially for the price I paid.

Reactions: D60
Went with this one:

$35 + $4.50 shipping was less than 1/2 of the Southwire options. It will only be used a few times per month and won't be used in temperature extremes. 100' is too much of a hassle to use, but it is a good cord to keep around....especially for the price I paid.
BDFD1859-B820-4566-BEA4-D91EC35D831F.jpeg

For $39.50 shipped, I’ll take it.

10 gauge is good for 30 amps. 12 gauge is good for 20 amps. The 10 gauge is overkill and heavy, for not much gain.

How do you like that.......... the OP didn't take any of the recommendations from BITOGER's or Project Farm.
I did also buy a 100ft 12 gauge Yellowjacket cord.

10 gauge is good for 30 amps. 12 gauge is good for 20 amps. The 10 gauge is overkill and heavy, for not much gain.
Possibly true. But the included cord on the air compressor appears to be a 10 gauge.

“3X14AWG(2.08mm^2)”

But the cord is significantly thicker than any 14 gauge extension cord.

That's so they can take the same cord, print 10AWG on it, and sell it on Ebay as 10AWG cord...

Seriously though, I've seen computer power cords that claimed to be 18AWG. Except they were getting warm powering a regular desktop PC.

So I cut one apart.

What I found is wires inside that appeared to be 18AWG until I stripped them back. What they were was more like 24AWG wires with extra-thick insulation so they looked like 18AWG wire.

And the metal they used looked sorta like copper, except that I've never seen any copper wire with black spots on it. Like it was contaminated with something. It might have even been copper clad steel. I've seen that too.

That's so they can take the same cord, print 10AWG on it, and sell it on Ebay as 10AWG cord...

Seriously though, I've seen computer power cords that claimed to be 18AWG. Except they were getting warm powering a regular desktop PC.

So I cut one apart.

What I found is wires inside that appeared to be 18AWG until I stripped them back. What they were was more like 24AWG wires with extra-thick insulation so they looked like 18AWG wire.

And the metal they used looked sorta like copper, except that I've never seen any copper wire with black spots on it. Like it was contaminated with something. It might have even been copper clad steel. I've seen that too.
^^ This!

I have found at least with bulk spooled wire that the Chinese will use mm^2 and round up. So 14 gauge is supposed to be 2.5mm2, and 12 gauge is 4.0mm2. They will use something like 3.5mm2 and say its closer to 12 than 14 so we will call it 12, when its likely 13 or something, but that doesn't really exist in common practice. You notice it on long runs if you measure voltage drop. I prefer US made wire it for that reason.

Back