Extension Cords

^^ This!

I have found at least with bulk spooled wire that the Chinese will use mm^2 and round up. So 14 gauge is supposed to be 2.5mm2, and 12 gauge is 4.0mm2. They will use something like 3.5mm2 and say its closer to 12 than 14 so we will call it 12, when its likely 13 or something, but that doesn't really exist in common practice. You notice it on long runs if you measure voltage drop. I prefer US made wire it for that reason.

Well, that and their tendency to use garbage like copper-clad aluminum and copper-clad steel for the conductors without stating it up front. And probably none of it is OK to use for building wire because it doesn't meet NEC and UL requirements for that use.

My compressor has the same exact very thick cord that says 14 gauge wire. I’m not sure why they come with so thick of a cord. Maybe for abrasion resistance.

^^ This!

I have found at least with bulk spooled wire that the Chinese will use mm^2 and round up. So 14 gauge is supposed to be 2.5mm2, and 12 gauge is 4.0mm2. They will use something like 3.5mm2 and say its closer to 12 than 14 so we will call it 12, when its likely 13 or something, but that doesn't really exist in common practice. You notice it on long runs if you measure voltage drop. I prefer US made wire it for that reason.
That could explain the odd sizing on import hydraulic crimper die sets.....

My compressor has the same exact very thick cord that says 14 gauge wire. I’m not sure why they come with so thick of a cord. Maybe for abrasion resistance.
Yeah compressors that I’ve seen that arent designed for hardwire come with a 14ga jumper IME. I’ve just gone to HD and gotten some proper Southwire black sjoow cord and wired it with 10ga. Then Inmade another 10ga extension cord. No issues. The 14ga jumper is short so they can get away with it for 15A or so, but it isn’t the right thing to do, IMO.

Back