Extension Cords

I am in the market for a 10-gauge extension cord for my air compressor (it requires a 20A circuit).

I am considering the following brands:

- US Wire
- Southwire
- Yellow Jacket

Prices are about the same for all of them.

Does anyone have experience with these brands?

High quality, reasonable price, they’ll print on them for free. I’ve bought about 2 dozen for work from them.

I have a Southwire 100’ 12 gauge cord that is red white and blue. It’s made in the USA. It does the job. Menards has some made in USA extension cords .

Reactions: JC1
I found this video very interesting. After working construction for many years ,and abusing extension cords the whole time. On actual jobsite's, we would roll and unroll cords every day. They were exposed to being walked on, having carts and hand trucks roll over them, and having fork lifts roll over them a hundred times a day. Then were the times they would be hung down a stairwell for multiple floors. Our's always got beat up ,and had rips and tears. Sometimes we didn't always have the same gauge cords which means alot when your using a pipe machine, or a big drill. You can tell the difference right away when they would run slower. One of the best upgrades they ever did was to put the lighted end on he cords. If I had a dollar for every-time I went to use a drill or something, climbed a ladder, got in a comfortable position only to find the cord was dead , because somehow it got unplugged. When a job was over, the cords were beat up and either thrown away, or someone would collect them to be scrapped. Battery operated tools of every type, were making a big presence by the time I tapped out and retired.,,

When I want what I consider the best I spring for Yellow Jacket, they're just really nice and flexible. I've got a 12ga 100' and 10ga 50'. Have had them since ~2005

In my old age I've decided to swear off anymore 100' cords, they're just a pain regardless of gauge. I'd sooner string together two 50's, but that's just me.

I have a bunch of southwire made extension cords that I use. I like them as much as you can appreciate an extension cord :)
(got them at govplanet auction)
c9a45b6a-414e-4c66-838b-571378f8ab53.jpg

010a4e2a-75c9-44e8-8299-b93e98a7e591.jpg

I have a 50 ft Yellow Jacket 10 ga that I use with my 120v Mig. I have been using it for 10 years and it has held up like new. I particularly like it because in the winter when its been sitting in an unheated shop below freezing it is still flexible and unrolls straight and flat without the curls that make a trip hazard.

I’ve taken a different road. I’ll buy a nice long medium to heavy gauge cord at HD or whoever, then cut it to the lengths I need, then either add a m/f end, or a single or double gang box on it. I’ll use short runs for adapters, like to run the trailer off of 120/15 instead of 120/30.

Michael I think Costco sells the yellow jackets at least they used to for a reasonable price

They could have changed vendors since they seem to do that a lot and I haven’t looked at them personally in quite some time

Semi-related question: are all 10/3 cords acceptable for 20A applications? I noticed that some 10 gauge cords still say 15A only.

Semi-related question: are all 10/3 cords acceptable for 20A applications? I noticed that some 10 gauge cords still say 15A only.

Yes. But even a 12 gauge cord may be OK for a 20A application.

Nobody asked you how many amps your compressor draws nor how long of an extension cord you need.

You need that information to figure out what gauge you need to avoid excessive voltage drop.

EDIT: And the extension cord has a NEMA 5-15 plug on it, 15A is all that it can be used for, regardless of gauge.

Unless you chop the ends off and put NEMA 5-20 ends on it. Those have one blade turned 90 degrees to the other one:

1661669046588.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. But even a 12 gauge cord may be OK for a 20A application.

Nobody asked you how many amps your compressor draws nor how long of an extension cord you need.

You need that information to figure out what gauge you need to avoid excessive voltage drop.
4071FD78-E2E5-43BD-B00C-29BF47E7F28F.jpeg

50’ preferred.

50’ preferred.

Your compressor, like any appliance designed for nominal 120V, will operate correctly down to at least 110V.

12 AWG is fine:

Voltage drop: 2.38
Voltage drop percentage: 1.99%
Voltage at the end: 117.62

Even 14 AWG would be OK:

Voltage drop: 3.79
Voltage drop percentage: 3.16%
Voltage at the end: 116.21

I used the calculator here with the "estimated resistance" tab and used 15A as the load current, and 50 feet as the distance.

I've charged my Chevy Volt at 240V through a 100 foot 14AWG extension cord. It pulls 13 amps.

Voltage drop with that long of a cord at 13 amps looks like this:

Voltage drop: 6.57
Voltage drop percentage: 2.74%
Voltage at the end: 233.43

I did have to put NEMA 6-20 plugs and sockets on the ends of that 14AWG, 100 foot cord.

Back