need help from the collective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ma drivers around Boston and Worcester are dreadful.

How much are they offering for your old car? Typically they can total car and you buy back the wreck for little money likely .

Quote:
The thing about this car is that it's a Y84 ie, bandit edition with a 4 speed. It's right on the cowl plate. I've already been looking around, and you just can't find them. I don't want an automatic.

I had this issue ~15 years ago with a rare Audi (V8 5 speed). The insurance didn't want to pay for the car but about 1/3 the actual market value like an normal cruiser automatic. I went to an auto auction a few days after the accident and kicked some tires and bought a cheap 10 year old Passat to use until I got the settlement and replacement car; kept me from feeling pressured to settle. I just kept refusing to agree to their valuation and provided like-cars for sale and completed sales showing the real market value. Eventually when the storage bill got high enough, a manager stepped in and looked at the documentation and I had a check for the fair value in a few days.

But until it dragged out and ran up their bill and time, no one would step in and look at the case (this was Geico).

So your strategy is what andyd said above, get comparables for similar 4spds, and let them stew on the storage fees until they make it right.

Originally Posted By: old1
YOU didn't have insurance of any kind? You may end up getting the proverbial shaft! They don't allow us to register a vehicle here without insurance. Although collision coverage is not required. My classics I carry full coverage classic car insurance. IT IS CHEAP.

Collector car insurance is cheap...with conditions. Your classic or special interest car has to be a 2nd car for you and/or wife. And even then, it can't (or shouldn't) be a daily driver, typically limited to 3,000 miles per year (though with AC I often got an extension to 5,000 miles during busy car show seasons). Also usually needs to be garaged unless at a car event (show field, hotel, etc.).

Nah, that will buff right out!
smile.gif

I hate to say it...

Time to retain counsel and sue.

A bandit edition TA is a collector car and has value that the insurance company is neglecting to consider. They won't understand that until you force them to understand. It'll cost, but your attorney's fees can be reimbursed by them as well if they lose.

And you can go after the driver in civil court for damages - your injuries, lost time, lost use, lost value of the collector car.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
This will probably end up in small claims. Ya'll know me. I don't have the patience for morons.

I'll start passing the hat around to collect money for your contempt of court citation.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, though, if they do total it, does your jurisdiction give you the option to buy it back, and have it inspected and certified as safe and put back on the road? We generally can do that here. Stupid drivers; something unique is on the road and they can't pay attention and destroy it.

Sometimes symptoms of head injuries don't show right away, if you were knocked unconscious, be careful and get any scans and care you may need and make sure the other guy's insurance covers it.

As a collector car owner for the past 20 years, I don't think I could live with having that car repaired, knowing that it would never be like it was. The only exception would be a sentimental ride such as your high school or college car. With that kind of damage, they are never quite the same. And you can't make them as good as they were, even with NOS parts and top rate skills.

Originally Posted By: wkcars
Sometimes symptoms of head injuries don't show right away, if you were knocked unconscious, be careful and get any scans and care you may need and make sure the other guy's insurance covers it.

Exactly. My neighbor is an attorney with one of the largest auto insurance carriers. When I was in a similar situation he said wait a YEAR before settling any medical claims. Get to the horsepital asap to be checked out if you haven't already.

turtlevette... This was a Massachusetts accident?

(It seems it is.) I'll pray for you. Because they are going to try to screw you... Standard business practice.. And you ain't lying about high cost in MA...

Last edited:
I am not sure about your state but if you were really hurt and knocked out and your leg was injured as you said in some states that could net you over $15,000 easily out of court.

Whatever you do, don't give up the car to insurance company if they total it out. A good restoration shop can fix it, so see how much $$$ they will give you and let you keep the car.
I saw the pic and teared up... it's a classic so hold onto it.

You can talk to a personal injury attorney. See if you have a case. Maybe you can get $10k. You'll have to visit a lot of doctors for months. It will be like a part time job. You have two years to file a claim for injuries in NJ. I assume it's similar in Mass.

If you sue the other driver for property damages, he or his insurance company's responsibility is to make you whole. The only issue is the value of your car. If you want a lawyer to argue the value of your car for you, you pay for that.

Just decline their settlement offers and demand more money. They assume you want the check quickly so you can go buy another car but since you're in no rush, wait them out. How far apart are you now? I had a car totaled years ago and waited them out for an extra $5000 then took the wreck and 75% payment and sold it. Maybe you could try and do the same. Sell the TA to someone that wants to fix it up.

this looks like the quarter can be fixed a new after market fender some body work on the door some front end parts and maybe a little straitening
Under $3,000 if you know someone in the business otherwise much more.

Sorry for the loss of a collectible car. Get all the money you can then buy it back and use the parts on a build or to part out.

The police have automatic plate readers with numeric recognition software so they can catch you a day late with your registration while the policeman eats in his car. Why not enforce the laws we have?

What is needed is VIGOROUS enforcement of cell phone and texting (distracted driving) laws. It's been bad for well over 15 years. You see crinkled hoods and front ends all over the place.

Pal at a red light in NC was slammed by a texter going 45 mph. Ohh yeah, he said he was sorry.

Always keep repair records and have them ready to print out. A man hit my car while parked. His insurance offered $0.75. I produced over $3,000 in receipts which the insurance company paid in full.

Always keep receipts. Kira

Holy [censored] turtle! I'm glad you're ok. Maybe it's a good thing you zoned out momentarily after the accident because I bet you would've shoved that phone so far up that other driver's [censored] they'd never be able to find it! I know I would!

Originally Posted By: Garak
This will probably end up in small claims. Ya'll know me. I don't have the patience for morons.

I'll start passing the hat around to collect money for your contempt of court citation.
wink.gif

Touche my friend. Touche.

That's funny and true at the same time.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Was it insured as a classic car?

Go through your own insurance company and see if they will pay to repair and then they will usually go after the side for your deductible.

Glad you weren't injured.

I didn't have it insured on my end. Because I'm an excellent driver and didn't think I needed it.

I did get knocked out, lost consciousness, and leg and knee got banged up.
Now you now why being an "excellent" driver doesn't help when you don't have insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back