need help from the collective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
1. They accused me of buying a title washed car because it had been registered in Canada.

Those idiots should be aware more than anyone else that they could very easily verify whether that was true or false.

2. They asked me why I was driving the car in winter.

You should have picked up some sled dogs when up in Canada getting a title washed car.

She asked did you know the title was washed when you bought the car? I hesitated then said no. Then said objection this is speculation.

After I got home I remembered, It was last in Canada in 2001. And it was originally delivered to a dealership in Canada. If the Magistrate looks at the Pontiac Historical Documents original GM invoice in my evidence binder, he'll see that. I got rattled and didn't think of all this on the spot.

The Magistrate seemed bored with it all after about the first 30 minutes. At least he knows I'm not trying to hide or misrepresent anything by bringing the car in.

I have no read on what the decision is going to be. There are so many variables. Mass does have a law that says a book value must be considered and purchase price must be considered. That's my best hope as i didn't get an appraisal and bring the appraiser in to testify. About $500. This is what I get for being cheap.

NADA is 26k 50 something, 90 something
I brought in my registration showing sales tax on $9600
Their (insurance) CCC program came up with $3600

Last edited:
It was stressful but fun for me. I wanted to try to get into law school after I finished my engineering degree but my father unexpectedly passed away and threw me into a tail spin.

The money is not that big a deal. I feel like I'm fighting for car enthusiasts and consumers in general. Hopefully I might give someone else the confidence to do this.

I did start off strong quoting mass 211cmr133, Anthony Morgan vs Homeland and Rhodes vs AIG.

The hard part is cross of their witnesses. It's all based on how they testified so you have to think fast which I'm not good at. As an engineer we think about things for weeks and months before we act.

I tried to get my data across in the form of a question ie, are you aware that a bandit edition sold at Barrett Jackson last year for 66,000?

She asked did you know the title was washed when you bought the car? I hesitated then said no. Then said objection this is speculation.

That was pretty disingenuous of her. A fax by her to the DMV of the province in question could have gotten her some real information confirming or denying that in a matter of minutes, and one provincial DMV could get information from all provinces. Heck, there have even been DMV online search engines here to check if a vehicle by VIN to see if it's stolen, ever been in a reported collision, or written off. After all, it's much easier to check that stuff ahead of time, rather than make extra work for the police and DMV after the fact of a purchase.

I tried to get my data across in the form of a question ie, are you aware that a bandit edition sold at Barrett Jackson last year for 66,000?

That's no worse than her nonsense insinuation about the title.

There was a black Smokey and the Bandit TA on Jay Lenos Garage the other day. They said the market value on the car was $31k and it was in mint condition in California.

They should use that value then, scrubbed title or not.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back