Need a new mower...your thoughts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a Northern Tool near you, you can buy the Honda using a $50 off $250 purchase coupon. Code 899450 thru 9/7/13.

Home Depot would not match the price when I bought mine a couple months ago using the same promo.

My parents have a Toro Recycler with a Briggs that was purchased in 2009. I have a Honda HRR with a GCV160 from 2010.

I've only mowed their lawn once using their mower, while they were on vacation. Technically, I only mowed half their lawn using their mower. I went home halfway through and put my mower in the truck and finished up with that.

Things I disliked about the Toro:

The bag is tiny. Seriously, it's small.
It's FWD. Maybe this is persona preference, but I hate it.
The Briggs is gutless. Same day, same grass, my mower didn't struggle. Maybe this could be attributed to the deck design when bagging with the Toro or that every second pass had the bag full up, dumping clippings back into the blade and causing it to struggle. Either way, I was unimpressed.

It certainly didn't make me regret purchasing the Honda.

Then again, my dad loves it. Says it's the best mower he's ever owned
21.gif

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
I have a CubCadet push mower with the caster type swiveling front wheels. I think it was $389 or so and it will just about knock a tree over and chop it up. Well worth the money I paid for it and on top of that it is super fuel efficient. I got it at tractor supply, but I am sure that isn't the only place that carries it.

What engine did yours come with? Honda or Briggs or Chonda?

Originally Posted By: LotI
If you have a Northern Tool near you, you can buy the Honda using a $50 off $250 purchase coupon. Code 899450 thru 9/7/13.

Home Depot would not match the price when I bought mine a couple months ago using the same promo.

Or you can go down to HF and spend $90 on the Chonda, which you'll be very pleased with. You can tell your significant other you paid $250 and spend the other $160 on whatever vice pleases you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: moklock
Originally Posted By: outdoorsman310
i dont like the ohc honda engines at all.

Have one, a GCV160. Its quiet and easy on gas but otherwise just OK. Auto choke shutoff is kinda cool.

Carb, air cleaner, etc. all held on with the same two bolts is not. Dirt bypasses the snapped on air filter too easily as well.

Had an early 90's B&S "Quantum" flathead at one time on a cheap Murray that drank gas a bit faster but was just as quiet and was the easiest starting mower I've used. The newer versions of those motors IIRC have a primer instead of the cable operated choke/throttle that I liked a lot better

I have one as well. GCV 160 i think. I do not like the timing belt bathed in oil and plastic camshaft. it also needed a carb clean already and is only a few years old.
My favorite push mower is my Honda HR194. the cut is only 19" but it is a 1984 model I believe. It has always started 1st pull since i was a child until now. never had any carb work or breakdowns. it has had oil changes, spark plug, blade and air filter changed before and still runs great.

Bought a Honda HRR series. Blade brake and smart drive. Just mowed. Quiet, cuts well, and fast if you want it to be. Pricey but I think it is a great choice. Wanted to spring for an HRX but couldn't justify the price for my yard size.

You can find some nice deals on Craigslist if you know what you are looking for.

I would skip the Toro Recycler mower and go straight to the Super Recycler. It is a 20 year mower just like the Honda you are replacing unlike the cheaper Recycler or cheaper Honda model you are looking at.

Here is a Super Recycler with a chonda for not much more.
http://www.mowersdirect.com/Toro-20381-Lawn-Mower/p8127.html

Edit: Nevermind. See that you bought the Honda.

Bought a Cub Cadet brand mower from Tractor supply about 8 years ago . Self propelled with rear bagger , mulch or side discharge and equipped with the 160 Honda . It's been trouble free except for the valve cover starting to leak a couple years ago and is just sealed with RTV silicon . My lot is about 1/4 acre and takes about an hour and 20 minutes to cut each time . Lots of power and starts easy . I generally just use the side discharge but I did shorten it by about 1/2 because it aimed the grass downward and left a trail instead of blowing the clippings . Mower is actually made by MTD and cost $299 at the time but not sure if it's still available at TSC stores .

Just checked , only see this one http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cub-cadet-159cc-21-3n1-caster-6sp?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back