Need a new mower...your thoughts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old Honda needs another repair. It's 20 years old. I think it's time to sell it instead of putting more money into it. It's a nice piece, but just needs to go. A few options...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3...43#.UiPzdI4oyYo

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-Hi...08#.UiPz4o4oyYo

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Personal...36#.UiP0J44oyYo

A couple of things. The first Toro is available with a Kohler as well. Better than the B&S in the link? Also, the last Toro has the blade brake. I've heard good and bad. Thoughts from those who have them? Eliminating the blade brake saves me about $50.

thanks in advance. Need to make a decision soon, so your help is appreciated! I am also open to other suggestions. Want to stay under $400, as I dont have a huge lawn.

Last edited:
I have a CubCadet push mower with the caster type swiveling front wheels. I think it was $389 or so and it will just about knock a tree over and chop it up. Well worth the money I paid for it and on top of that it is super fuel efficient. I got it at tractor supply, but I am sure that isn't the only place that carries it.

My thoughts, the Honda of course.
whistle.gif

I have that first Toro (with the Kohler) and I like it. I wish the engine ran a bit faster, and that the air throttle didn't fluctuate so much when the engine isn't at op temp, but it does quite well.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
My old Honda needs another repair. It's 20 years old. I think it's time to sell it instead of putting more money into it. It's a nice piece, but just needs to go. A few options...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3...43#.UiPzdI4oyYo

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-22-in-Hi...08#.UiPz4o4oyYo

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Personal...36#.UiP0J44oyYo

A couple of things. The first Toro is available with a Kohler as well. Better than the B&S in the link? Also, the last Toro has the blade brake. I've heard good and bad. Thoughts from those who have them? Eliminating the blade brake saves me about $50.

thanks in advance. Need to make a decision soon, so your help is appreciated! I am also open to other suggestions. Want to stay under $400, as I dont have a huge lawn.

I have the honda on top you had picked out. It is the best push mower ive ever used starts so easy pretty easy on fuel to. Its a great mower would even consider anything
Else.

Originally Posted By: svhanc
Swap in a $100 Chonda replacement engine from Harbor Freight?

Thats what i did. Paid $90 with a coupon. I couldn't be more pleased.

Those newer Kohlers may be quite qood, but considering they are from China IIRC time will tell IMO if they can live up to the reputation made by the K-series or Command

I know some people don't like used stuff, but there are good deals to be had if you look around. I picked up this John Deere off Craigslist for $75, just because the owner moved into a townhouse and didn't have any use for it anymore. It runs and mows like brand new, and looks practically like new too.

IMAG0009_zps8bd7f883.jpg

Originally Posted By: outdoorsman310
i dont like the ohc honda engines at all.

Have one, a GCV160. Its quiet and easy on gas but otherwise just OK. Auto choke shutoff is kinda cool.

Carb, air cleaner, etc. all held on with the same two bolts is not. Dirt bypasses the snapped on air filter too easily as well.

Had an early 90's B&S "Quantum" flathead at one time on a cheap Murray that drank gas a bit faster but was just as quiet and was the easiest starting mower I've used. The newer versions of those motors IIRC have a primer instead of the cable operated choke/throttle that I liked a lot better

pay someone else to mow the lawn.

I'd rather pay for that than mow it myself!

But if you must, a Honda.

I can work 1.5 hours to make money to mow the lawn, or work that time anyway, and spend another 1.5 hrs mowing with cash in the bank - no thanks! lawn mowing is the most ridiculous thing invented!

I picked up the following from Home Depot spring 2012 on sale:

Toro Personal Pace Recycler 22 in. Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Electric Start - California Compliant

Not impressed but it gets the job done.

Some issues:

1. The self propelled drive is loud and clunky. My yard is relatively flat so I don't rely upon it too much.

2. One of the rear wheels fell off a couple times as the drive refused to fully disengage and the wheel bolt unfastened. Has to place a lock nut on it.

3. The electric start no longer works as of 3 weeks ago.

4. I prefer to drain the oil from below the deck but there is a pulley guard that must be removed which adds time to the process

On the plus side, it starts very easily with pull cord and collects the grass nicely.

Overall, another brand might have been a better choice but for $350 with 12 months interest free, I'm living with it

Another poster suggested Craigslist ... Consider that and potentially save yourself a lot of cash....? Wish I had done that and spent the saved $250 on something more useful

The Kohler engine is basically a "chonda" FWIW.

I'd skip the blade clutch, restarting is easy as pie and you'll save gas killing it with the deadman.

whatever you get yourself into, just stay away from the problematic B&S flatheads (my advice). In order to make them closer to the most recent/latest EPA compliance, they are now becoming more finicky on the carb, etc. and when they go bad, they are a bit of PITA to fix also.

Also: their autostart(thermalchoked) carb can be a major PITA for as they age, they have all sorts of issues that goes all the way back to poor designs and executions. primer bulb types are exempt with these starting issues...

Also: flatheads are lousy on gas: expect it to use at least 50% or more than that of an OHV engines (kohler, honda).

Q.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Originally Posted By: outdoorsman310
i dont like the ohc honda engines at all.

Have one, a GCV160. Its quiet and easy on gas but otherwise just OK. Auto choke shutoff is kinda cool.

Carb, air cleaner, etc. all held on with the same two bolts is not. Dirt bypasses the snapped on air filter too easily as well.

Had an early 90's B&S "Quantum" flathead at one time on a cheap Murray that drank gas a bit faster but was just as quiet and was the easiest starting mower I've used. The newer versions of those motors IIRC have a primer instead of the cable operated choke/throttle that I liked a lot better

I have the same engine on a Troy-Bilt and really like it. I haven't had it long enough to speak of long term durability, but is quiet and good on fuel.

I have no clue why the Briggs Stratton motors are so under estimated. They are super tough and reliable. I think its a "Status" thing of I need a Honda or Kohler, they are the best. As the owner of a lot of equipment. My favorites are the Briggs Stratton and the Robin Subaru engines. I have seen people neglect Briggs for years and then bring them back from death and they still run awesome. To me, anyone that would buy a mower with a new Briggs Stratton, take care of it, it would last them. Ive had more decks rust out and crack, then Briggs Stratton die. Parts are readily available and cheap, unlike Honda or Kohler. Forget the badge, forget the name and just buy a common no nonsense mower with a simple Briggs Stratton engine.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have no clue why the Briggs Stratton motors are so under estimated. They are super tough and reliable. I think its a "Status" thing of I need a Honda or Kohler, they are the best. As the owner of a lot of equipment. My favorites are the Briggs Stratton and the Robin Subaru engines. I have seen people neglect Briggs for years and then bring them back from death and they still run awesome. To me, anyone that would buy a mower with a new Briggs Stratton, take care of it, it would last them. Ive had more decks rust out and crack, then Briggs Stratton die. Parts are readily available and cheap, unlike Honda or Kohler. Forget the badge, forget the name and just buy a common no nonsense mower with a simple Briggs Stratton engine.

@ Panzerman: I've started my life as a mower boy with a ignition point based B&S flathead with pulsa-jet...was ok but constantly fiddling with the carb in order to make it run right.

Fast forward to those B&S with side-draft carbs: they run very lean (close to stoichiometric of 14.7:1, as perceived by spark plug deposits and colour on the ceramic tip). When they run right: they are ok; but about 3/4 of them ended up being a bit of PITA on my end (when I fix them): carb leans out too much when hot (hotstarts issue---require multiple tugs or sometimes a spray of starting fluid, etc.), auto thermal-choke sticking causing hot start issues; those walbro LMS "clone" carbs are all sealed and non adjustable (unless you are able to get your hands on the earlier versions RE: late 90s, where the mixing screw is not sealed and can be adjusted, etc.); plastic throttle plate with very loose shaft to bore clearances, etc. all contributes to air-fuel mixing issues as the engine ages.

All of these (methinks) due to cost cutting measures and yet still aggressively tries to comply with EPA most recent compliance level. The older, dirty runing pulsa-jet or vacu-jet types of carb are much simpler to run (does run rich though, so be prepared to decarbon the cylinder head every 200hrs or so)....

pulsa-jet and vacu-jet types of carbed B&S are no longer avail as new mower engine since the early 2000, so unless you still own or shop for older B&S engines, the likeliness of getting a new one is next to impossible.

As emissions tightens, B&S is having a hard time getting their flatheads to comply with the latest emissions. That could possibly be the reason why they now starts with 500 or 550ex series of OHV engines, but as I checked on them recently @ lows: plastic carb fuel bowl, etc. is something that disappoints me....

through the years of ownership and maintenance, I've owned numerous B&S flatheads, and now also has a Honda GC series power washer in my possession. They are equally capable of lasting 10 yrs or more, easy to maintain, etc. but when it comes to component quality, etc. it's very distinguishable somehow.

My 2c on this subject.

Q.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...476#Post2664476

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back