My new Corvette has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gofast182

Even though we sometimes use the term generically, remember, no polishing, you want to wax or seal your factory fresh paint.

I will be polishing it to remove some minor scuff marks, and then sealing it with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. My garage is currently at 60F so tonight is a perfect night to do this before a cold spell hits and brings the garage temp down.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What options did you want resulting in the special order?

Dealers rarely get them in base 1LT form, they usually stock 2LT or 3LT models only. Plus I wanted a gray interior and dealers never order that. Not to mention it's just hard to find any dealer with a large number of C7s to choose from up here. Even the #1 dealer in Canada never has more than 20 C7s in their inventory. I was basically very particular in what I wanted, I only wanted a handful of options so I didn't want to pay extra for stuff I didn't need.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Very nice! Those look like some serious summer tires, so you might want to check if there's any temperature restrictions on them. Some will crack at -7C even if you just moved the car in the garage.

OP/Patman,
Do you plan to get some winter tires for it?

Oh, HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Ownership to you!

I won't be driving it in extreme cold, and never in the snow so I will be fine with these tires for now but when they wear down I'm replacing them with the all season Michelin Pilots so I can be safer when driving it in the 30-50F range.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Also, running the C7 on regular gas is not a good idea. It absolutely will detonate like crazy.

Nothing but 91 octane or higher for mine and always Top Tier approved too.

Is this the 3rd Vette in a row for you? First new one for you as well?
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is this the 3rd Vette in a row for you? First new one for you as well?
thumbsup2.gif

First new one, yes. Third in a row, yes. But I also had an 84 Corvette back in 1991 for a couple of months.

I bought my 98 Corvette in 2004, had that for 9 years and in 2013 I got my 2005, and now this one I plan to keep for a very long time!

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Kira
1) What oil does it take? Three pages in and I'm the first to ask?

2) Don't ascend / descend driveway aprons which are too steep. We don't want to scrape our chin, do we?

3) Now you have to go to that place in California and have the roof sawn off.

4) What engine is in it? They have an aluminum small block, no?

Enjoy it.

It currently has M1 5w30 in it but I will switch to the new Dexos approved M1 0w40 when it comes out next month (that's the factory fill on the 2019 Corvettes)

I don't need to saw the roof off, it's a removable targa.

It has an all aluminum 6.2L V8 making 455 hp.

Very nice, Patman! Congrats.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kira
1) What oil does it take? Three pages in and I'm the first to ask?

He listed that info in his sig, hence probably why no one asked.
smile.gif

And covered in pre delivery threads too …

Originally Posted By: andyd
What is the real life, doing your daily dance, MPG average?

This will get better MPG than my old one because it has AFM, so it should be about 22-24 in normal driving and 37-40 MPG highway (not kidding, it's that good)

Man, that is good. My 2016 Challenger 5.6 manual trans gets 28 mpg on a trip and 20 just driving around and I thought I was doing well. The 2000 Mustang GT averages 19 mpg. Haven't taken it on a trip yet.

One person on the Corvette forum managed to average 43 MPG on a 50 mile stretch of flat highway in his C7, so I'm aiming to beat that sometime
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: andyd
What is the real life, doing your daily dance, MPG average?

This will get better MPG than my old one because it has AFM, so it should be about 22-24 in normal driving and 37-40 MPG highway (not kidding, it's that good)

Man, that is good. My 2016 Challenger 5.6 manual trans gets 28 mpg on a trip and 20 just driving around and I thought I was doing well. The 2000 Mustang GT averages 19 mpg. Haven't taken it on a trip yet.
I think he’s talking about imperial gallons, not US gallons.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I think he’s talking about imperial gallons, not US gallons.

I'm not actually, believe it or not those numbers I'm quoting are in US gallons, as that's what the trip computer on the Corvettes calculates it in (and the onboard readings are very accurate too)

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why didn't you get the 7 speed manual transmission ?

The number one reason was so my wife could drive it, she really missed driving a Corvette ever since I bought the 2005 in 2013, as she used to drive the 98 once in a while.

But I also just think that 7 speeds is too much for a manual, I've heard more than one person say that it's tricky finding the right gear sometimes, you can easily shift from second into 5th by mistake. They should have used a gated shifter with so many gears to choose from.

Another reason is because I want to keep this car a LONG time and even though I'm a young 48 years old now and healthy and in good shape, who knows how I'll be in 20-30 years time and might not be able to comfortably drive a manual as I get older.

I know that paddle shifters don't completely replace the feeling of having a clutch and rowing through the gears, but at least it still gives me total control of what gear I want to be in (and for times when I'm lazy I can just let the trans do all the work)

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why didn't you get the 7 speed manual transmission ?

The number one reason was so my wife could drive it, she really missed driving a Corvette ever since I bought the 2005 in 2013, as she used to drive the 98 once in a while.

But I also just think that 7 speeds is too much for a manual, I've heard more than one person say that it's tricky finding the right gear sometimes, you can easily shift from second into 5th by mistake. They should have used a gated shifter with so many gears to choose from.

Another reason is because I want to keep this car a LONG time and even though I'm a young 48 years old now and healthy and in good shape, who knows how I'll be in 20-30 years time and might not be able to comfortably drive a manual as I get older.

I know that paddle shifters don't completely replace the feeling of having a clutch and rowing through the gears, but at least it still gives me total control of what gear I want to be in (and for times when I'm lazy I can just let the trans do all the work)

Even six is too many with a powerful engine. I wish my Challenger had a 5 instead of 6. I like 5 speeds better than anything. Four regular gears and an overdrive fifth. Seven speeds is getting close to 18 wheeler speeds. In fact, some of the older basically equipped tractors had 7 speeds.

Last edited:
I found that 6 speeds in my previous Corvette was the perfect amount of ratios, it allowed for nice close ratios in the first 4 gears and then two overdrives, which were perfect. If I was cruising on the highway in a bit of traffic that made me speed up and slow down a lot, I would leave it in 5th gear which would allow a nice range of speeds as I could keep it in 5th as low as about 35-40 mph but could also still keep it in 5th at 60-65. If I was going to stay at 70 or above for a while, I'd throw it in 6th and the rpms would drop a lot and I'd get insanely good MPG (my best was 37.1) And it was not difficult to find the gears either, they were nicely spaced apart.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
Oh yeah, that's way past Give Me a Ticket red. That is definitely ArrestMeRedVette.

In Canada, it would be Confiscate-Me Red!

I had my Corvette lowered on the weekend and I think it now has the perfect stance! It sat far too high from the factory for my liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back