Anyone have any inside info for new ordered GM vehicle?

Long story short, my mother unfortunately went through Stage IV breast cancer. Graciously, after a long battle, she beat it and got the news of remission this past April. She has for the better part of a decade always loved the latest generation Camaro and as a celebration for such great news she wanted to finally buy one. My mother is what I'd call a miracle worker of a wedding dress seamstress. I never see her stop working and what she pulls off these sewing miracles for brides day in and day out. I cannot think of anyone more deserving.

In April of this year, her and I visited a smaller Chevrolet dealer and factory ordered a 2023 Camaro. We got an order number at that time. I was a bit apprehensive of going to a smaller dealer (thinking allocation numbers), but was assured by the salesman that this was no issue. My mother called days, weeks, and months following and was re-assured by the dealer:

"I spoke to my GM rep and they said yes they will build it" was something we heard multiple times, in different versions/flavors. Also heard "my rep guarantees it will be built". She kept calling as she was excited to have the car for summer and curious on a build/delivery date. None of which ever came through.

Mom gets a call a few months later, September, and the dealer said they have to change the build to a 2024 since they quit production on the 2023. No problem, so they do that. Then weeks later, they have to adjust the order since her original color choice (Shadow Grey Metallic) is NLA. So she changes to to Black Panther Metallic. She now has another order for this 2024.

Meanwhile, throughout the whole time, she has been told "Yes my rep confirms that they are going to build it, no production date, etc."

A few weeks ago she gets a call from the dealer and he tells her "Karen, I don't think they're going to build it" and starts looking for cars local... orange, red interior, white -- YUCK. Not what she wants, or wanted. The dealer cited "COVID supply chain, strike, etc." as reasons.

I am not the one to shout from the mountain tops, but at this point, I am exhausting all avenues to try and get her this car. I am beyond ticked off at the continual guarantee from what I think is a super incompetent dealer. Like how do you NOT know that a 2024 won't have "XX" color, or how do you not know cutoff dates... I think they're not too up on what is what. Either that, or, how bad are GM reps for the dealers to keep telling YES, then... a no? I do not know how it works but give me an actual reason.

Against my better judgement, we probably should have went to the West-Herr or larger WNY area dealers. Even though I hate how they do business at times, this might be a situation where the small Mom and Pop dealer, who's probably 2 years before going outta business, is a bad call. But with getting the bi-weekly/monthly guarantee "from my GM Rep" I kinda rested thinking we'd be OK.

I come her curious if anyone on here has any connections or info or any insight to potentially help. I have both order numbers. I will probably also try visiting local BIG dealers and or call GM corporate. After her long battle I just want her to have a little enjoyment.

I went to the GM website and did a "build" and then did an inventory search. I found dozens available on dealers lots. Have you tried that?

Better hurry. Looks like January 2024 is the end of production? I just drove by the Lansing General Assembly Plant recently and there seemed to be a fair number of new cars in the lot.

Last edited:
Inventory searching was my backup route… but with this “defecate hitting the oscillate” situation. It might be my best attempt.

Found 99.9% of what we ordered down in Virginia.

Going to call in the morning and hope it’s available. Fingers crossed.

Yeah my buddy had a 23 ordered 9 months ago and its the same run around, so he just bought one lightly used instead. In your case I would search existing inventory and just go get it, where ever it is.

Really happy for your Mom! IF yall put ANY money down, step 1 go into that dealer tomorrow and get it back. Do not walk out until you have every penny. Then go find an available Camaro and buy it. Then go find some twisty roads and have the time of your lives.

Friend from Mississippi wanted a diesel Suburban - his dealer paid to ship it from another dealer in Michigan …
We went through lots of “fake” listings getting our 2022 Tahoe - two dealers showing units in inventory that were only on order …
Our dealer actually had one new unit - and only bcs a customer couldn’t get the loan …

Does anyone get the feeling that these car manufacturers are now carefully throttling the new car inventory, so that they can keep demand up to a certain level... as a way to delay (as long as possible) a return to the 'good old days' of plenty of inventory on the lots and generous discounts? And that they're also slowing down special orders and making the process slow and painful enough that you'll just give in and buy whatever happens to already be on a dealer's lot within a 200 mile radius... and not have to build anything just for you?

They're hooked on it being a seller's market, as it has been for the past few years, and they going to do whatever they can to keep it going as long as possible.

Well we pulled the trigger. Winchester, VA Malloy Chevrolet has sold us (her) a gorgeous Black 2024 Camaro SS 2SS. Magnetic ride suspension, power sunroof, 6.2/10AT.

Getting it shipped up here in an enclosed trailer and stored until spring. Should know ship date in a day or so.

We also carefully looked over the order we had and perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise that it wasn't coming. We didn’t know the dealer had also added a “collectors edition” package to the car which included appearance options my mom did not like. After lot of reviewing, the wheels were wrong, conflicting RPO codes and almost 6k higher.

Here it is:

Attachments

• image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 48
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 46
  • image_0.jpeg
    image_0.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image_0.jpeg
    image_0.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 47
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
Congratulations! So sorry that you had to go through what you did with the first dealer, and was able to get a car bought from the second dealer in Virginia.

Shame on the first dealer for literally padding the order with a $6,000 package that in reality no one wanted (except for them, of course).

Well we pulled the trigger. Winchester, VA Malloy Chevrolet has sold us (her) a gorgeous Black 2024 Camaro SS 2SS. Magnetic ride suspension, power sunroof, 6.2/10AT.

Getting it shipped up here in an enclosed trailer and stored until spring. Should know ship date in a day or so.

We also carefully looked over the order we had and perhaps it’s a blessing in disguise that it wasn't coming. We didn’t know the dealer had also added a “collectors edition” package to the car which included appearance options my mom did not like. After lot of reviewing, the wheels were wrong, conflicting RPO codes and almost 6k higher.

Here it is:
That should have the digital rear view mirror ?

Long story short, my mother unfortunately went through Stage IV breast cancer. Graciously, after a long battle, she beat it and got the news of remission this past April. She has for the better part of a decade always loved the latest generation Camaro and as a celebration for such great news she wanted to finally buy one. My mother is what I'd call a miracle worker of a wedding dress seamstress. I never see her stop working and what she pulls off these sewing miracles for brides day in and day out. I cannot think of anyone more deserving.

In April of this year, her and I visited a smaller Chevrolet dealer and factory ordered a 2023 Camaro. We got an order number at that time. I was a bit apprehensive of going to a smaller dealer (thinking allocation numbers), but was assured by the salesman that this was no issue. My mother called days, weeks, and months following and was re-assured by the dealer:

"I spoke to my GM rep and they said yes they will build it" was something we heard multiple times, in different versions/flavors. Also heard "my rep guarantees it will be built". She kept calling as she was excited to have the car for summer and curious on a build/delivery date. None of which ever came through.

Mom gets a call a few months later, September, and the dealer said they have to change the build to a 2024 since they quit production on the 2023. No problem, so they do that. Then weeks later, they have to adjust the order since her original color choice (Shadow Grey Metallic) is NLA. So she changes to to Black Panther Metallic. She now has another order for this 2024.

Meanwhile, throughout the whole time, she has been told "Yes my rep confirms that they are going to build it, no production date, etc."

A few weeks ago she gets a call from the dealer and he tells her "Karen, I don't think they're going to build it" and starts looking for cars local... orange, red interior, white -- YUCK. Not what she wants, or wanted. The dealer cited "COVID supply chain, strike, etc." as reasons.

I am not the one to shout from the mountain tops, but at this point, I am exhausting all avenues to try and get her this car. I am beyond ticked off at the continual guarantee from what I think is a super incompetent dealer. Like how do you NOT know that a 2024 won't have "XX" color, or how do you not know cutoff dates... I think they're not too up on what is what. Either that, or, how bad are GM reps for the dealers to keep telling YES, then... a no? I do not know how it works but give me an actual reason.

Against my better judgement, we probably should have went to the West-Herr or larger WNY area dealers. Even though I hate how they do business at times, this might be a situation where the small Mom and Pop dealer, who's probably 2 years before going outta business, is a bad call. But with getting the bi-weekly/monthly guarantee "from my GM Rep" I kinda rested thinking we'd be OK.

I come her curious if anyone on here has any connections or info or any insight to potentially help. I have both order numbers. I will probably also try visiting local BIG dealers and or call GM corporate. After her long battle I just want her to have a little enjoyment.
Oddly enough when I worked at an emissions station we had several ZL-1 Camaros come to get a vin verification. They all came from a specific GM dealership in Oklahoma where they were one of the top sellers of high-end Camaros. They even threw in a gift card for the famous local fried chicken restaurant across the street.

Congratulations! So sorry that you had to go through what you did with the first dealer, and was able to get a car bought from the second dealer in Virginia.

Shame on the first dealer for literally padding the order with a $6,000 package that in reality no one wanted (except for them, of course).
Thank you! Yeah… I’m kinda still processing how I feel about that dealer. On one hand they’re small as small can be and this might be a rarity (new vehicle order + specialty car + last model year). In the other hand I’m of the notion that A: this is a Chevy dealer and you should know, from soup to nuts, how stuff works and/or B: your upstream GM reps should be like what me as an IT manager to my technicians are; support system and helping out where is needed.

Alas, no more worrying. I can see her happy when that 18-wheeler or hotshotter Cummins Dodge Ram comes with the car.

Nice, automatic? A picture of your Mom in it would be neat.
Yessum, 10-speed automatic. Absolutely will do. I’ll be there the day it comes. Gotta sit in it even if we gotta wait till next April to put ‘er on the road.

That should have the digital rear view mirror ?
Not sure. Now I gotta look up the specs and check this thing out. Sounds pretty wild/neat/frivolous all at once. But heck why not. Will report back.

Oddly enough when I worked at an emissions station we had several ZL-1 Camaros come to get a vin verification. They all came from a specific GM dealership in Oklahoma where they were one of the top sellers of high-end Camaros. They even threw in a gift card for the famous local fried chicken restaurant across the street.
That’s pretty unique. Yeah I’m definitely sure the sales volume, area, location and perception of a GM dealer all plays into allocation and who can sell what at what rate. Heck, I’d even bet these big dealership groups are 3/4 in cahoots with GM and able to do what they want. (Shocker lol).

No wonder small dealers can’t survive. They aren’t given the tools or ability to.

It doesn’t matter anymore, since we’re getting her a car. But at one point, we both said to each other, “I bet if this was a car for Josh Allen and a West-Herr sold car, the car would get made”. Of course that was my PO-ed hot take, but I do think who you are and who you know does things in this world. -signed, your neighborhood Joe Blow.

Any rate. More to come. Thanks all for the words, thoughts and conversation.

Does anyone get the feeling that these car manufacturers are now carefully throttling the new car inventory, so that they can keep demand up to a certain level... as a way to delay (as long as possible) a return to the 'good old days' of plenty of inventory on the lots and generous discounts?
Possibly so, but the effects of the strike might be the real issue right now.

Back