Motorcraft Synblend 5w30 in Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even own a Ford and will begin using Motorcraft in both Hyundai, probably exclusively. Engine teardowns, trust in FoMoCo testing that its specs are the equal to GM's, and countless UOA have convinced me.
Sonata will be 7500k / 9 months
Santa fe turbo 5000k / 6 months

That's a really good point Wemay. I think the Ford specs are in all actuality much closer to GM Dexos approval then many might think.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I don't even own a Ford and will begin using Motorcraft in both Hyundai, probably exclusively. Engine teardowns, trust in FoMoCo testing that its specs are the equal to GM's, and countless UOA have convinced me.
Sonata will be 7500k / 9 months
Santa fe turbo 5000k / 6 months

Motorcraft is a good oil, but there's nothing special about it really. In the past, you've indicated the importance of oils meeting dexos approval ... that oils that meet this spec are of a higher quality than those that don't. I don't really care either way because I don't need to use a dexos oil, but Motorcraft oil doesn't meet this spec for a reason ... one reason being that its NOACK is too high for dexos approval. Of course Motorcraft oil is sufficient for Hyundai vehicles because it exceeds SM/GF-4 and the dexos spec is not required.

One thing I've noticed on here is that people say they are going to use one oil from here on out, then a short while down the road they switch to another oil as the one they will use from here on out ... and then a different oil later on down the road, and so on. I've seen this a number of times. I think it's a BITOG thing because I don't know anyone personally who changes up the oil they use like that.

You're correct, guilty as charged. But this time Tony10s, this...time...
wink.gif

I am one to over think, analyze and make compulsive decisions based on the moment where oil is concerned, since joining BITOG. Hopefully it's a phase. I enjoy doing the research and extending my findings but find it difficult to follow them myself many-a-time after taking a step back and viewing the big picture, i.e., Hyundai only require SM/GF-4 for my model years as you correctly pointed out. Personal quirk i guess.

I wouldn't go out of my way to run Motorcraft semi syn oil. In fact, I don't think it's worth running anything but full syn seeing the price difference is minimal and there are constant sales on oil.

As has been mentioned, Motorcraft semi syn has a very high noack. Looking a pqia, most syn oils have a noack of a little over 10%. Conventional and semi syn oils test nearer to 15%.

To combat LSPI Motorcraft 5W-30 does not meet the lower calcium and more magnesium requirements. Does this mean Ford EcoBoost engines are not subject to LSPI as other brand DI Turbo engines? I know other oils meet the Dexos 1 Gen 2 requirements using lower calcium and adding magnesium and still meet the Ford specs, ie Mobil 1 5W-30. The Ford oil specification of WSS-M2C946-A for their EcoBoost engines seems like nothing MORE than an the API SN ILSAC GF-5 rated oil. I know that our 2017 2.3 EB explorer tends to run at 1300-1500 rpm at 40-45 miles per hour. That seems almost in lugging territory and being subject to LSPI for these smaller DI Turbo engines.

Whimsey

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is what I'd run in a Ecoboost. It has held it's viscosity better than just about any other 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
One thing I've noticed on here is that people say they are going to use one oil from here on out, then a short while down the road they switch to another oil as the one they will use from here on out ... and then a different oil later on down the road, and so on. I've seen this a number of times. I think it's a BITOG thing because I don't know anyone personally who changes up the oil they use like that.

Believe me, there are some "in the real world," and I notice because I'm not one to switch until I absolutely have to, or mix. Of course, there are loads of people in the general public who are convinced QS/PYB/GTX (or whatever) will sludge up their engines in 1000 miles and stick with whatever their dad/uncle/next door mechanic used, but there are plenty of sale chasers. My one buddy can't stick to one brand or tier to save his soul. He'll never buy more than one jug on sale (which is necessary if you buy retail here and want to stay with one oil) and never plans ahead, just asks me what's on special and where (he knows I'm a BITOGer and watch sales even though I won't be buying), and goes with whatever.

Ok Ok... My one-night-stand with Motorcraft is over (i guess if it were more than one night it wouldn't be a "one-night-stand").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back