Most suitable aftermarket ATF for Land Rover LR3

The wire harness seal on the transmission (ZF that takes lifeguard 6) suddenly started leaking and I am going to be dropping the pan to address that. I'm fairly determined to spend $10/ quart or less on fluid. I'm looking at using either bulk transmax $9, lubegard synthetic ATF $10, or, I just became aware of the existence of liqui moly top tec atf 1800 $10. I'm a bit hesitant to use the transmax because I have seen it and maxlife cause many a nasty TCC shudder on the 6 speed AISIN in the CX-9. I have had only good experiences with other lubegard products, and until today haven't heard of the liqui moly product. Has anyone here had any experience with these fluids? Does it make anyone else uncomfortable that transmax and maxlife cover such a wide range of fluids that have different viscosities?

They're both probably OK, but my nod goes to LiquiMoly only because this is a very serious company that makes only additives that work and is german so has more opportunities to deal with the ZF trannies.

The ZF 6HP26 is basically the same as the Ford 6R80. Ford specced Mercon SP (copy and paste of ZF factory fill) and later Mercon LV. The ZF 6 was one of the very first transmissions to spec an LV type fluid which MB, GM, Aisin etc would all follow soon after.

Anyways my bud uses Maxlife in his S-Type R, no issues at all.

Last edited:
The ZF 6HP26 is basically the same as the Ford 6R80. Ford specced Mercon SP (copy and paste of ZF factory fill) and later Mercon LV. The ZF 6 was one of the very first transmissions to spec an LV type fluid which MB, GM, Aisin etc would all follow soon after.

Anyways my bud uses Maxlife in his S-Type R, no issues at all.
Does the Ford 6R80 transmission have the ECU inside the transmission?

The wire harness seal on the transmission (ZF that takes lifeguard 6) suddenly started leaking and I am going to be dropping the pan to address that. I'm fairly determined to spend $10/ quart or less on fluid. I'm looking at using either bulk transmax $9, lubegard synthetic ATF $10, or, I just became aware of the existence of liqui moly top tec atf 1800 $10. I'm a bit hesitant to use the transmax because I have seen it and maxlife cause many a nasty TCC shudder on the 6 speed AISIN in the CX-9. I have had only good experiences with other lubegard products, and until today haven't heard of the liqui moly product. Has anyone here had any experience with these fluids? Does it make anyone else uncomfortable that transmax and maxlife cover such a wide range of fluids that have different viscosities?

I would only advise using ZF Lifeguard in this.

If you get torque convertor shudder then use Dr Tranny

Transmax? As in Castrol Transmax? Because that can be had for much less than $9/qt! Castrol Full Synthetic is great stuff, and there is nothing wrong with Maxlife, either :)

If your ZF has a drain plug, it's easy to change it again if you don't like it.

There is nothing wrong with Liqui-Moly, either.

If it calls for ZF Lifeguard 6, Mercon SP is the same thing, just dyed red. Now, if that LR3 used the same Cologne V6 and 5R55 as the late 1990s Explorer/Ranger that’s a different story.

ZF, Merc and Honda units I would steer clear of MaxLife on.

This comes up alot these days.. especially with dodge/chrysler as all of there 8 speed transmissions are marketed as "fill for life". There is a pretty good video on this subject that is very detailed (a little long) it also talks about fluids, shows specs, part numbers, other service options... its very informative. He also talk about his personal results using maxlife in the last section

Back