Monkey See, Monkey Do Driver Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: George7941
No one in front of the blue car. It is just that when they see the only other vehicle is in the right lane, then that is where they want to be. Once I changed my habits and now come up in the middle lane I can turn right unimpeded more frequently. Works for me, over thinking or not.

Re the "dominance" comment, to a lot of drivers, driving is a competition and they just HAVE to be in front of the "other" driver, else they have lost.
I agree.

Example: I'm in the right lane. Person A is one car length ahead of me in the left lane and Person B is one car length behind me in the left lane. Person B will nearly rear-end Person A just trying to get their bumper ahead of mine. I see this constantly. It's not just some cars that do this, it's every single car I see in this situation that does it. Without exception.

From what I am reading here, everyone else is the idiot behind the wheel. Its always the other guy.

"anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac"

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Last week I had a younger female get on my bumper in the slow lane. Jeep only does about 65 comfortably. She hung there about 10 ft of my bumper staring straight ahead with no other traffic around. She finally passed us and gave me the finger as she passed.

I carry water balloons filled with urine and toss them out my window so the tailgaters get a nice, clean windshield. (not really)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
George, didn't you had a thread about stopping in the right-most lane so you can make a u-turn?
And one about the left turners blocking your intersection and you cutting them back?

Yes, I did have a thread about me stopped in the right lane (legally, it was not a no stopping zone), with my hazards on, and drivers behind me choosing to pull up behind me when the lane next to me was clear and they could have just driven past. The mistake I made in that post was I mentioned why I stopped and everyone focused on that. I should have just said I was stopped in the right lane without mentioning why I stopped. The reason why I stopped was immaterial to the discussion since it was perfectly legal for me to stop.

No, that was not my thread about left turners blocking intersections.

Originally Posted By: Wurlitzer
Example: I'm in the right lane. Person A is one car length ahead of me in the left lane and Person B is one car length behind me in the left lane. Person B will nearly rear-end Person A just trying to get their bumper ahead of mine. I see this constantly. It's not just some cars that do this, it's every single car I see in this situation that does it. Without exception.

Agreed. You have to keep track of what is going on in the lane next to you. It helps if you stay towards the edge of the lane, that gives the other driver less of an opportunity to cut you off.

Especially important when you are on a motorcycle. People have absolutely no respect for the fact that you are entitled to the entire lane and they will come half way into your lane because after all, a motorcycle only needs about a two foot width of the lane. Lane splitting isn't allowed here and I certainly do not encroach on their lane. I stay towards the edge of the lane to discourage drivers from cutting in.

As far as "everyone else is an idiot behind the wheel", yes I make that assumption, especially if I am riding a motorcycle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud
From what I am reading here, everyone else is the idiot behind the wheel. Its always the other guy.

Ever been in traffic? It's a fact - most people are stupid.

I pride myself in following the law and the rules of the road. My driving record reflects this. Not many people can say they've never gotten a ticket after decades of driving.

You don’t need to be in traffic anymore these days. Had two cars hit while legally parked. How much skillz does it take to avoid a large, stationary object?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
Originally Posted By: Bud

Ever been in traffic? It's a fact - most people are stupid.

I pride myself in following the law and the rules of the road. My driving record reflects this. Not many people can say they've never gotten a ticket after decades of driving.
Yep. People will get into the passing lane at a red light basically floor it , cut back in front of you, only to end up sitting at the next red. I like to make sure my driver side headlight is directly shining in their side view mirror. Always put their hand up to cover their eyes.
grin.gif
I've gotten one speeding ticket when I was 18, and that was a trap where the limit went from 65 to 35mph and I was 5mph over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
There are 2 things I "fear" now-a-days when driving.
1) Some dope texting or playing a video game and driving into my rear end at a stop light.
A pal in N.C. was creamed in this way and his body is damaged for life.

Happened to my sister. She was stopped at red light and guy rear ended her doing 35-40. He told police he was looking in the back seat for his cell phone. It was morning and he had not been drinking. He just wanted to answer his phone. She sustained a soft tissue brain injury among other things and will never be the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back