Airbags failed to deploy! How common?

All kinds of what-ifs here. Among them; the forces could have been more rotational (yaw) than lateral if the moment arm between the centroid of damage and centre of mass is great enough. If the airbag module doesn't see lateral delta-v meeting the threshold, it won't deploy. A vehicle can rotate about its centre of mass quite violently, yet not experience enough lateral acceleration to trigger deployment.

Or - insert any number of other possibilities -.
Sure, there are too many variables. I just don't see how side airbags at least, were not deployed if everything was functional considering that the floor was moved like 4 inches inside, C pillar was deformed, rear seat crumpled. If someone was sitting in the back, there is no way they would avoid a trip to the hospital. Plus, she actually was injured as she banged her head into B pillar.

Ah yes. People realizing we live in one big ponzi scheme and you can't just "trust" everything you're told.

was driving in left lane maybe 20-25mph. Lady in Nissan Altima was in right lane and made sudden turn to the left to make U-Turn
Presuming the SRS was in working order, there are tons of variables that are factored in before the airbags are deployed. Around 20 mph is a typical threshold before they come on so she could have been going slow enough. If I read this correctly, her car was hit on the passenger side and the other vehicle wasn't moving too fast. If there was a passenger in the front seat, good chance the airbag(s) on that side would have been triggered though.

Presuming the SRS was in working order, there are tons of variables that are factored in before the airbags are deployed. Around 20 mph is a typical threshold before they come on so she could have been going slow enough. If I read this correctly, her car was hit on the passenger side and the other vehicle wasn't moving too fast. If there was a passenger in the front seat, good chance the airbag(s) on that side would have been triggered though.
I would say SRS activates based on impact, not speed. Her floor was shoveled 4 inches inside the vehicle. 20mph would be, I would say, at minimum speed, probably higher. I was maybe 50ft behind and doing 25mph I would say. Touareg rotated that Altima for 120 degrees. Basically, it wrapped it around itself. Altima was maybe slightly toward the right, and after impact, driver side ended up on the side of the Touareg driver. basically next to each other. I have seen far, FAR less destructive accidents where SRS was deployed. It was enough to deploy front airbags in Touareg.

Here is a recent purchase, a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Looking at the front crash bar, I was more than shocked the frontal airbag did not deploy.

I speculate a lot of damage can happen to a vehicle at speeds lower than the threshold to deploy a airbag.
PXL_20230901_161935517.jpg
PXL_20230901_210155803.jpg

What resistor? Who is the supplier of this resistor? Is the resistor one size fits all? Please point me to a website that sells a resistor to override a defective airbag system in a Nissan.

I suspect fooling the airbag system for a car made after 2010 is much more complex than a resistor.
I don’t know specifics for Nissan, but I know enough electrical and CanBus systems that despite all their “sophistication” they still rely on simple voltage signals. Which a resistor can alter.

I don’t know specifics for Nissan, but I know enough electrical and CanBus systems that despite all their “sophistication” they still rely on simple voltage signals. Which a resistor can alter.

I concur. I have used a Ford resistor to test an airbag that was throwing a code. 2.2 ohms IIRC.

Very easy to use to bypass the airbag circuit, if you chose not to do the right thing.

Then clone the SRS module from a non-deployed unit into the car and "airbags working", even though they are not.

The system has no way to know it's been spoofed.

Last edited:
Here is a recent purchase, a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Looking at the front crash bar, I was more than shocked the frontal airbag did not deploy.

I speculate a lot of damage can happen to a vehicle at speeds lower than the threshold to deploy a airbag.
View attachment 177025View attachment 177024
I did not see what happened to that car, so I can only guess. It seems like it was some narrow obstacle.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the impact was enough to actually lift the rear end of Touareg from the ground.

I concur. I have used a Ford resistor to test an airbag that was throwing a code. 2.2 ohms IIRC.

Very easy to use to bypass the airbag circuit, if you chose not to do the right thing.
Not to mention that if you are savvy enough, dealership-level software could circumvent airbag light. Common to do on BMWs that people use strictly for track purposes as they remove seats and with that sensors. Then light is ON, but delaership-level software, which is free online, can circumvent it.

Not to mention that if you are savvy enough, dealership-level software could circumvent airbag light. Common to do on BMWs that people use strictly for track purposes as they remove seats and with that sensors. Then light is ON, but delaership-level software, which is free online, can circumvent it.
Yes, everything is possible. My experience with airbag systems is it is much easier to fix to standard than to rig the system.

A friend's wife was in a very bad accident a few years ago and I recall that the airbags didn't deploy. My friend looked into it and I asked him about it this morning. Here's his response:

No, they didn't (deploy) which was a little concerning considering she hit every quadrant on the car. I checked with Toyota about that and ever since the unusual deaths from airbags many years ago, they adjusted them so that you really have to hit it to have the thing deploy. In hindsight, even in that accident she really didn't hit anything directly that hard. She was spinning and hitting things.

Let me know if you'd like clarification on any of this.

Why do people turn left from the right lane though? I see it all the time and it makes me mad. People don't just turn into their own lane, they drift across all the lanes in the intersection and I always worry someone will turn into my lane and hit me. Altima lady got what she deserved IMO

I am sure one can fool the air bag system to disguise/mask a defective airbag system. I also suspect fixing a defective airbag system is significantly easier than disguising/masking a defective airbag system as properly working.
It might be a little harder to figure it out the first time but actually doing it probably isn't that hard to do. And it certainly would be a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing an airbag. And being a heck of a lot cheaper is the incentive for dishonest mechanics to do that. Especially if they're doing it multiple times, which could be the case.

Perhaps what should be talked about here is trying to get the woman who did the illegal turn with the Altima to get NHTSA to investigate and then backtrack through CarMax to the seller who sold at the CarMax and prosecute the offending mechanic. But since the nhtsa is a government bureaucracy we all know how slow they work. Kind of like thinking about getting an elephant to move. It might not be easy to get things started but once it gets going there's a lot of clout going on.

It might be a little harder to figure it out the first time but actually doing it probably isn't that hard to do. And it certainly would be a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing an airbag. And being a heck of a lot cheaper is the incentive for dishonest mechanics to do that. Especially if they're doing it multiple times, which could be the case.

Perhaps what should be talked about here is trying to get the woman who did the illegal turn with the Altima to get NHTSA to investigate and then backtrack through CarMax to the seller who sold at the CarMax and prosecute the offending mechanic. But since the nhtsa is a government bureaucracy we all know how slow they work. Kind of like thinking about getting an elephant to move. It might not be easy to get things started but once it gets going there's a lot of clout going on.
My experience with vehicles made after 2010 is that tricking the system is not so easy. Replacement of a airbag and clockspring is very simple. One will have a exposed airbag exit point anyways. How is rigging the system easier?

Tricking the airbag, clockspring, sensors, and control module is likely not so easy. I can't even trick my 2005 Mercedes s class that one of the two license plate bulbs is out, and I am halfway decent with low voltage automotive electronics.

Then clone the SRS module from a non-deployed unit into the car and "airbags working", even though they are not.

The system has no way to know it's been spoofed.
Red red is 2.2 K Ohms. Not 2.2 Ohms

Just curious if the driver of the Altima was charged? Perhaps you exited the scenario before that happened, but you may be part of the legal process as a witness. Being retired LE, I can think of a real laundry list of charges as well as civil actions. Hopefully you were interviewed at the scene and there were other witnesses, and the driver of the Tourag wasn't injured.

Just curious if the driver of the Altima was charged? Perhaps you exited the scenario before that happened, but you may be part of the legal process as a witness. Being retired LE, I can think of a real laundry list of charges as well as civil actions. Hopefully you were interviewed at the scene and there were other witnesses, and the driver of the Tourag wasn't injured.
Yeah, I wrote a statement and briefed the officer on what exactly happened.
Based on developments before I left, I think officers were gearing up to do a sobriety test. Her stories did not make any sense. The first thing she asked her ex-husband was: "do you have a gum?" And his answer was: "ah, that is why you ran."
The young girl, I think she was maybe 17-18, was OK. She ran out of car, waving at this lady, as she was fleeing. She looked absolutely fine. However, when I returned to the original scene to inform LEO that we are waiting there and we needed someone, girl was at that point in a state of shock, her parents were there. I bet she was worried that her parents were thinking she caused it. So I just briefly explained to them what happened so the girl calmed down.
Interesting accident. I was witness in many of them, but this one was the most surreal. Especially the way this lady caused it.

No, that is simply not true. Side airbags definitely deploy during a side collision, they even deploy during a small overlap front crash.
And rear to defend against being knocked into harms way.
Happened with our 2017 Tahoe - young lady in Tacoma hits rear really hard:

Side Curtains deployed
Seat belts fire lock down tight
Fuel and power shut off

Back