Dangerous passing stunt on two lane road

No disrespect but I disagree completely. Even if you knew they were a insane and convicted murderer with a trunk full of smack, chasing them down a two lane with heavy traffic is far to0 strong a risk. The US military has more strict rules of engagement in hostile territory with enemies literally trying to kill them at that moment.

The military vs police ROE argument is a bad example to use - that argument came to popularity from some 18-19 year old chairforce pen pusher on facebook. I don't know how police ROEs are but things like no shooting unless you're being shot first - even if they pointed a weapon at you needlessly costed lives. Politicians and generals trying to play warfighter from the comfort of their A/C offices in washington with no idea of what is happening on the ground.

In most states, fleeing in a vehicle is a felony, so right there the officer sees a felony
That is a bad law especially when the police interpret it as a reason to assume that anyone who runs must be guilty of something serious. The Supreme Court has ruled that police cannot shoot at suspects merely for running away, and car chases are the same issue. Police activity conducted in public can be dangerous to bystanders and that risk needs to be balanced with any benefit.

The military vs police ROE argument is a bad example to use
Your correct in that might be the wrong can of worms to use. My point however is that even the military at war takes civilian risk into account. ie we don't carpet bomb a neighborhood even when we know a really bad guy is there. However the police can chase a suspect into oncoming traffic and its justified because he "might" be a criminal beyond simply running away no matter the risk to the public.

Here is an old study that took data from 1994 to 2002. Hopefully we are doing better now, but 35% of fatalities involving a pursuit were people not in the fleeing vehicle, so innocent motorists or pedestrians. That’s a staggering number.

All for what exactly? Running a stop light and then fleeing? How can one justify it if they have some common sense?

Results: There were 2654 fatal crashes involving 3965 vehicles and 3146 fatalities during the nine year study period. Of these, 1088 were to people not in the fleeing vehicle. These crashes often occurred at high speed, in the night, on local roads. Most of the pursued drivers had prior motor vehicle related convictions.

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/2/93

I asked my neighbor who is DSP if he knew the details behind this chase and he said he would find out but has no gotten back to me yet.

Most high speed chases in Delaware are short lived. A few minutes of driving 90 MPH and you are in another state (or the ocean).

Here are the details from my neighbor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230906-160026.jpg
    Screenshot_20230906-160026.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 54
That’s why police should be forbidden to chance after a vehicle, unless it’s extreme situation, like murder, kidnapping etc.
This guy was probably fleeing from a traffic violation.
Nope. That's why you make it automatic 10 years hard labor for fleeing police. No matter what. You run, in vehicle or on foot, and there's video to prove it, you're sentenced. WAY too much leniency for criminals. Ideas like that one just add to the lack of discipline and accountability and cause more and more crime.

Your correct in that might be the wrong can of worms to use. My point however is that even the military at war takes civilian risk into account. ie we don't carpet bomb a neighborhood even when we know a really bad guy is there. However the police can chase a suspect into oncoming traffic and its justified because he "might" be a criminal beyond simply running away no matter the risk to the public.

This is more akin to a vehicle with 1 military aged male, 1 female, and 2 kids making a high-speed approach to a roadblock and ignoring warning shots. Do you risk shooting the vehicle and it not end up being a VBIED and you end up killing multiple civilians or do you risk holding your fire and getting your team killed?

When Chicago's no-chase rule went into effect, there were "teams" of carjackers that took full advantage of the no-chase policy and these teams ended up killing somebody during subsequent carjackings. If your daughter was hurt or killed by these carjackers, would you be mad at the cops for not pursuing the criminals beforehand?

Not saying you're right or wrong. It's a hard ****ed if you do or ****ed if you don't type situation. I do understand no-chase policies in a very limited way because of the danger chasing can impose on the general driving public, but if my sister's car got jacked with her in it and a cop saw them driving erratic without knowing they just kidnapped my sister, I'd prefer the cop pulling them over.

Last edited:
If the penalty for shoplifting becomes the same as for murder, shoplifters will have no qualms about committing murder to avoid being caught.
Yes, and then that penalty could be extended to misgendering someone or being circumcised. Nah, that never happened before…

It’s clear most of you have no idea what you’re asking for in the name of safety.

Nope. That's why you make it automatic 10 years hard labor for fleeing police. No matter what. You run, in vehicle or on foot, and there's video to prove it, you're sentenced. WAY too much leniency for criminals. Ideas like that one just add to the lack of discipline and accountability and cause more and more crime.
I think people who flee the scene of an accident should be treated the same way...there are way too many people who do these days because they know they'll either get away with it, or they'll get a slap on the hand if they get caught...

If the penalty for shoplifting becomes the same as for murder, shoplifters will have no qualms about committing murder to avoid being caught.
They're already like that. Do you think these people involved in these high speed chases give a hoot about killing someone? All they care about is getting away...

Back