I saw a Waymo kinda force a lane change

Waymo self-driving cars have become part of the urban landscape. In general, they do okay while on the move. When they pick and drop off fares they often make unfortunate choices such as blocking parking lot entrances/exits and driveways. And unlike a cabbie or Uber driver, a Waymo can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!

I saw a Waymo force a lane change. The Waymo was right in front of me in the middle lane of a three-lane road. This was in dense traffic. The Waymo indicated it wanted to merge into the left lane which was about to become a left-turn-only lane. Cars in the left left lane ignored the Waymo and kept passing until the Waymo began merging tentatively left about a foot or so into the left lane. This forced traffic behind the Waymo to slow down and the Waymo immediately merged fully into the left lane. When I passed the Waymo I looked over to confirm it wasn't being piloted by a human.

I thought these things had people in them to override any bad driving. I guess they moved past that?

Waymo self-driving cars have become part of the urban landscape. In general, they do okay while on the move. When they pick and drop off fares they often make unfortunate choices such as blocking parking lot entrances/exits and driveways. And unlike a cabbie or Uber driver, a Waymo can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!

I saw a Waymo force a lane change. The Waymo was right in front of me in the middle lane of a three-lane road. This was in dense traffic. The Waymo indicated it wanted to merge into the left lane which was about to become a left-turn-only lane. Cars in the left left lane ignored the Waymo and kept passing until the Waymo began merging tentatively left about a foot or so into the left lane. This forced traffic behind the Waymo to slow down and the Waymo immediately merged fully into the left lane. When I passed the Waymo I looked over to confirm it wasn't being piloted by a human.
How does Waymo know when the freeway overpass exit bridge that curves to the left is full of black ice in the right lane, but not in the left lane?

How does Waymo know when his clients in the back seat are using / sharing illegal narcotics during the ride?

Last edited:
When I 1st retired I almost tried for a job being back up to a driver-less car. The job was up around MIT in Cambridge. The snag was that I couldn't 'drive' the car home. That would be a hellish commute. BTDT in my own car/subway (n)

Cruise has lost its license to operate in CA after accidents. GM remains committed to Cruise. At least that's their official stance. China is great for testing.

These kinds of auto-driving experiments will soon come to an end when a few lawyers get involved after some people are hurt, or worse.
This was a perfect storm of bad decisions. Pedestrian crossing street at night in dark clothes no crosswalk or lights and driverless human on phone.

Last week a Waymo car in San Francisco got attacked by a mob and was beaten and burned to death. I'm not sure whether the problem was the Waymo or the mob, but it seems like San Francisco would be a good city to experiment with driverless technology because the streets in today's SF are nearly empty.

Scott

Does the Waymo have an middle finger feature? :D
Lol, that's a good one.

As to whether lawyers and accidents will put an end to self-driving vehicles as taxis and other areas of operation, I highly doubt it. Do a Wikipedia search on the number of fatalities in the United States each year by motor vehicle accidents and also in other countries. The numbers are truly staggering. And each of those incidences affect families and loved ones and Friends of those in the accident. And that's not even counting the accidents where people survive but are lamed for life.

Probably the biggest incentive for automation of driving is that there is the real ability of it someday to make a huge reduction in the number of fatalities and injuries that occur each year from Motor Vehicles.

This is not something that is some imaginable Pie in the Sky. These systems will eventually get to that point.

Someday Vehicles will come from the factory with no designated driver seat, no steering wheel, no brake pedal or gas pedal, no parking brake activation or deactivation. And many decades beyond that when the crash rate has dropped to such an ultra low level that the only fatalities are from very rare events such as Bridge collapses and boulders rolling down the side of a mountain onto a highway, things make it to the point where even airbags and crumple zones become a thing of the past. Autonomous driving has huge possibilities that many people don't seem to grasp. But lack of understanding with these possibilities are is not going to stop it from happening.

That’s Waymo than Houston drivers will tolerate 😷

Last week a Waymo car in San Francisco got attacked by a mob and was beaten and burned to death. I'm not sure whether the problem was the Waymo or the mob, but it seems like San Francisco would be a good city to experiment with driverless technology because the streets in today's SF are nearly empty.

Scott
Traffic volume has been back to prepandemic levels since 2022.

Does the Waymo have an middle finger feature? :D
In mostly other countries, some self-driving vehicles can display symbols or project them onto the road. They can indicate they have seen a pedestrian and encourage them to cross in front of the vehicle, and they can project an indication of lane change onto the road.

As to whether lawyers and accidents will put an end to self-driving vehicles as taxis and other areas of operation, I highly doubt it.
I don't think that civil suits would end the tech. I think it will be a very costly way to get to the tech. Juries love to penalize big companies most of all; they won't be sympathetic to a "machine" killing folks.

Do a Wikipedia search on the number of fatalities in the United States each year by motor vehicle accidents and also in other countries. The numbers are truly staggering. And each of those incidences affect families and loved ones and Friends of those in the accident. And that's not even counting the accidents where people survive but are lamed for life.
True. But most of those fatalities do not happen in slow-to-moderate speed taxis (Uber; Lyft). Extremely rare is the fatal accident when a paid human driver is transporting folks around town. I've seen more than my fair share of auto-related deaths, and I also understand the root causes. If a self-guided vehicle kills or seriously injures a person in its path, that's a lot different from the general nature of all auto-deaths. You're conflating issues where they don't reside in this topic.

Probably the biggest incentive for automation of driving is that there is the real ability of it someday to make a huge reduction in the number of fatalities and injuries that occur each year from Motor Vehicles.
Again, in some circumstances that will be true. But it will also cause accidents as well. It will be a very long time before we might be able to understand the net death toll, one cause to another.

This is not something that is some imaginable Pie in the Sky. These systems will eventually get to that point.
Probably so. I hope it's long after I'm dead of some other cause. I want no part of automated driving.

Someday Vehicles will come from the factory with no designated driver seat, no steering wheel, no brake pedal or gas pedal, no parking brake activation or deactivation. And many decades beyond that when the crash rate has dropped to such an ultra low level that the only fatalities are from very rare events such as Bridge collapses and boulders rolling down the side of a mountain onto a highway, things make it to the point where even airbags and crumple zones become a thing of the past. Autonomous driving has huge possibilities that many people don't seem to grasp. But lack of understanding with these possibilities are is not going to stop it from happening.
It's not that we don't understand them. What I doubt is that it's going to be an easy, simple implementation. I believe it's going to be a very bumpy ride, full of problems and ripe for civil lawsuits.

Automated driving systems are a far distance from being "reliable" IMO. While they do OK with known conditions, they don't have the human ability to adapt instantly (more so better described as instinctively) when things go wrong. There are many, many examples of how auto-driving does not recognize or adapt well to non-normal situations:
- manual traffic direction by law enforcement
- driving directly into objects it does not perceive as an obstacle
- not recognizing when the vehicle path in GPS doesn't exist in reality
- instantaneous traffic hazards
- poor weather conditions where road markings, road signs, even the road itself is indistinguishable
- etc
Are these unique to auto-driving systems? No. But humans generally "react" to these with instinct with a high degree of success. AI can't solve these problems in the blink of a eye; not yet anyway. Even the OPs storyline here ... Waymo forcing its way into traffic. Is that a unique problem to a machine? No; stupid people do it too. But that also is how stupid people get sued; they cause harm/death.

Like I said up top, juries love to penalize entities with big pockets in punitive damages. Let a few of those awards happen, and that will cool the rush to market these kinds of systems. I agree it won't stop the development. But those civil awards will slow the progress, and make those OEs of the auto-driving systems slow their roll, so to speak. And to some degree, I like this idea. It's sort of the checks/balances approach. Without any restraint, the tech would be allowed to run free and unbridled; that won't end well for sure. A few really expensive damage awards will motivate the companies to go back and refine their tech.

Every substantially new tech breaks through barriers, often painfully and expensively. This won't be any different.

Back