Model Year 2010+ Trouble Free Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is a rant followed with a question...

Are there vehicles from the model year 2010+ that are trouble free?

When people think of Honda, they automatically assume trouble free ownership and reliability. Well, the Accord in my signature has just started to show issues directly related to the VCM feature of the J35 3.5L V6 engine. I purchased the car with 63k on the clock and now at 79.5k, it's consuming oil (almost a quart per 1k), fouling plugs, and recently a misfire in cylinder 3. I know there is a class action lawsuit, but the process makes you want to pull your own teeth out.

I'm on the hunt for a new-to-me vehicle in the 15k range.

It seems when I find a car I am interested in, I almost lose interest since I go on the forums and find major issues (such as the engine in my Accord) as well as minor/annoying issues (such as my Accord has interior rattle issues and numerous TSBs have been released on it. Many still don't do the trick).

I realize there is no perfect car and that everything mechanical fails at some point. Am I being too picky and unrealistic to expect no issues from a car from say 30k miles to 100k miles?

IVE OWNED OVER 70 CARS, many of them bough new. The latest Subaru have been worry free, low maintenance good performing. They do use a bit of oil (1qt per about 3K miles) but are a solid car.
I would prefer the EJ engine since it is a dry timing engine and has traditional hydraulic steering. But Subaru E steering in the 15 is totally transparent in comparison to Honda Nissan and Toyota ive owned.

2010 Taurus SHO bought new by me. Few issues under warranty - reprogramming the transmission, knock sensor, and a few little fit and finish issues. After the 60k powertrain warranty the only issue was a stuck caliper in the rear that cost about $600 as it trashed the caliper, and rotor. Other than that it's at 103k now and no issues - doesn't burn oil, starts right up, runs great. First car in a while that I've not grown tired of.

The wife's 03 Escape was the same - a few things under warranty but not much else in it's 160k of ownership. The trans was getting long in the tooth (occasional slip under WOT) but even that "POS CD4E" was original and other than fluid changes not touched.

Quote:
When people think of Honda, they automatically assume trouble free ownership and reliability.

I think overhyped junk.

I think internet research tends to do that: people who like their xyz will tell five of their friends; but someone who has a headlight misaligned from the factory will go online and tell EVERYONE who will listen. Internet amplification makes any issue seem larger than what it really is. I know I have a difficult time shopping myself, as I'll get interested, then find all the things which could go wrong (which really could be anything), then talk my way out of it.

Realistically, the only way to be satisfied is to pay cash, and motor "freely" from the first day. Then if anything happens, you aren't shouldering a repair cost--even if it's under warranty and free, it's still annoying to making payments yet have downtime. Failing that, never driving out of warranty while making payments would be advised.

But still: all you find on the internet are the problem cars. Yet 100's of thousands of that model are sold--yet the few which get posted about will make the 100k sound really bad. Take what you read with a grain of salt.

So far my 2012 Challenger hasn't had a single problem (knock wood). My wife had a 2011 Grand Cherokee that we traded away last weekend for a 2014, because it had so many little annoying problems and the threat of more to come over time- but those are pretty well-documented since 2011 was the first year of the model. My 08 Ram has also been 100% glitch-free.

As a very broad statement, I would say that the full-size half-ton trucks are at present by far the most reliable category of vehicles you can buy, if that's your sole criterion. Even then, there will be bad apples, but the half-ton truck is very simple mechanically and pretty old-school in layout so everything is very well-proven, except maybe the latest-and-greatest engine choices in some cases. But lately, even those (Ford Ecoboost in both v6 sizes and Ram Ecodiesel) have reasonably solid records right out of the gate. The GMs are all LSx powered, so you can't go wrong there.

Next to that, I'd say most of the mid-size sedans are very comparable and generally reliable- but with most of that class being front-drive there's a little more inherent complexity and a generally a bit weaker overall architecture.

Problem with cars today is no matter what brand you look at, you have parts coming from all over the world going into it. You can have the very best possible engineering but a supplier drops the ball on QC and you have a problem in one little area of the car. Takata air bags for example. So just go find a vehicle you like and take your chances.

I would consider Toyota to be the least likely to have issues but issues will still happen.

Many times, buying a used car=unknown maintenance issues-was the oil changed on time with the correct type (a BIG issue on VCT/VVT engines), was it flogged cold, etc.? New cars have been getting more & more complex, with more big $ issues to take care of, there's no guarantees of trouble-free 100K+ mile vehicles anymore. The xB in my sig was about the simplest car I could buy in '05-no auto transmission, no major options, and it'll probably be the last new car I will ever buy (I'm only 52)-too much to go wrong on a new one combined with the under warranty "stealership" experience!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
So far my 2012 Challenger hasn't had a single problem (knock wood). My wife had a 2011 Grand Cherokee that we traded away last weekend for a 2014, because it had so many little annoying problems and the threat of more to come over time- but those are pretty well-documented since 2011 was the first year of the model. My 08 Ram has also been 100% glitch-free.

As a very broad statement, I would say that the full-size half-ton trucks are at present by far the most reliable category of vehicles you can buy, if that's your sole criterion. Even then, there will be bad apples, but the half-ton truck is very simple mechanically and pretty old-school in layout so everything is very well-proven, except maybe the latest-and-greatest engine choices in some cases. But lately, even those (Ford Ecoboost in both v6 sizes and Ram Ecodiesel) have reasonably solid records right out of the gate. The GMs are all LSx powered, so you can't go wrong there.

Next to that, I'd say most of the mid-size sedans are very comparable and generally reliable- but with most of that class being front-drive there's a little more inherent complexity and a generally a bit weaker overall architecture.
The Ram Ecodiesel is a DISASTER-RUN-don't walk away from those-& I would add pretty much any DPF equipped diesel to the list to avoid, unless you lose the emission garbage (and usually factory warranty with it).

Our families 2010 and 2011 Honda Civic's have been trouble free. It is always smart to buy the last year or two of a model generation. They tend to be the best.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Am I being too picky and unrealistic to expect no issues from a car from say 30k miles to 100k miles?

Too picky? Perhaps not. Too unrealistic? I think so. It happens.

We bought a 2007 minivan brand new. Brand doesn't matter (though, I guess you can infer that it wasn't from the brand seen in my current signature). We sold it before it made it to 45k miles. It was at the dealer multiple times for various things. It had three A/C compressors on it, two serpentine belt tensioners, an entire replacement powertrain harness, two rear ABS sensors, a new alternator, and new stabilizer bar bushings every 6 months because that's as long as they'd last before starting to make noise again. The final straw was an A/C drain line issue that turned out to be a design problem (there was a TSB for re-routing the line). It soaked the interior of the carpet and the dealer had the van for 5 days with that soaked carpet, and they and the manufacturer both refused to professionally clean and dry it. So I had to take the van home that evening, remove the two front seats myself, pull all the carpet up, and dry out the jute and carpet backing. It was a fun weekend...

I sympathize with your situation. Honda's VCM trickery is not ideal. I've driven cars from all sorts of manufacturers and they all have things I don't like. Overall, I've generally liked Hondas more than other brands due to a variety of factors (reliability actually isn't one of them), and my current strategy is to keep the non VCM Hondas we own now for as long as possible and essentially wait Honda out until they bring a completely new V6 engine to market. I just love their J-series engine, but I don't think they sell it in ANYTHING today without VCM. I don't care for that system and I feel like Honda is using it as a Band-Aid. Sooner or later, I'm assuming they'll replace this 20 year old engine design with something completely fresh, something that won't use a variable displacement system. Most manufacturers have used it to some degree over the years, and it doesn't seem to be a prevalent technology. I'm hoping that Honda eventually drops it.

As you said, there's something to not like about anything sold today. I like Hondas and they work for us, but I'd never presume to know your situation and think I know what's best for you. I almost never make automotive recommendations because it's such a personal decision. It's like arguing over whether blue is a better color than red. Every brand sold today is, generally, putting out very good vehicles. You can find something to like in all of them. You can also get scared out of owning any of them. I personally disregard reliability ratings, auto-specific online forums, and such. I make observations about what I like and what I don't. I key in on very specific things about cars; sometimes, rather uncommon things. Transmission shift patterns are very critical to me. It's hard for me to find programming that I like. I think Honda has some of the best transmission programming in the industry. To others, transmission programming is not important, or not noticed. My wife couldn't care less. I like a very linear throttle response, and pedal feel. Again, I think Honda has very good electronic throttle programming. My wife doesn't notice it.

We all have our own preferences and key requirements we're trying to meet. I'm not telling you to like or dislike Honda. I'm not saying ANY one brand is better than another. I did list examples above of things I look at in vehicles to perhaps help you key in on things that are important to you and what you might look for in your next vehicle. It sounds like another Honda probably isn't in your future. That's cool -- but I'd encourage you to not try to "calculate" what your next vehicle should be with a matrix of reliability and dependability and those things. Get out there and drive a bunch of stuff and pay attention to what turns you on and what doesn't. Maybe it's a Mazda. Maybe it's a BMW. Maybe it's a Buick. Maybe it's a Chrysler.

Good luck, and enjoy your search!

If you look at surveys like JD Powers, there's usually some number of problems per 100 cars, but it usually in the 2-3 range per car, but it's hard to say whether they're major problems or minor cosmetic ones. So to expect one that's problem free is probably unrealistic. I forget how many parts there are in a car, maybe around 5000 or more, just to have two or three fail is a pretty good success rate, but many people don't see it that way. Also for Honda, beware of airbag recalls where parts may still not be available. I think that's true of many cars lately that have had their airbags recalled.

The 4 cyl Accord would be pretty decent. Probably any of the 4 cyl midsize cars should be pretty economical to run, especially with a manual if your driving makes it practical.
Also you could get something you don't mind fixing, then the odd issue isn't as annoying. In the $15k range I'd probably just get a new Civic/Cruze/Corolla... Then you have a warranty for 60-100k miles.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
it's consuming oil (almost a quart per 1k),

Just a few days ago you mentioned it was a quart per 3k miles.

Has it gotten this bad this quickly?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...pli#Post4191574

Quote:
It seems when I find a car I am interested in, I almost lose interest since I go on the forums and find major issues (such as the engine in my Accord) as well as minor/annoying issues (such as my Accord has interior rattle issues and numerous TSBs have been released on it. Many still don't do the trick).

This is the problem with going to car specific internet forums. People usually use these forums to post about their issues in search of help, so you are bound to find nothing but problems there, for just about any model/make. Such is the nature if these forums, unfortunately.
smile.gif

I know a lot of people hate the publication, but I'd get my hands on the most recent Consumer Reports auto issue and look at the reliability plots by model year for the vehicles you are interested in...at least they are based upon reasonable samples sizes of drivers.
The bad thing is that they are weirdo CR readers like me and my wife...also, they will often not publish charts for weirdo models like my FXT that are not sold in large numbers.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The Ram Ecodiesel is a DISASTER-RUN-don't walk away from those-& I would add pretty much any DPF equipped diesel to the list to avoid, unless you lose the emission garbage (and usually factory warranty with it).

"Disaster" is a gross overstatement. It jumped into the arena and immediately had all the same DPF/EGR/SCR issues as every OTHER truck diesel (and every diesel PERIOD, except the VWs that cheated their way out of the problems...) has been having since the tighter diesel emission controls took place. (Side-note: in that same time frame I've gone from almost never seeing a heavy truck broken down beside the highway unless it was a blown tire, to seeing several trucks PER DAY on a cross-country road trip with their hoods up beside the highway, or on the hook of a the tow rig. Coincidence? No way!)

As far as the engine itself, not much griping going on.

But yeah, unfortunately today if "low maintenance" is a top priority, diesels are no longer what you want to be looking at. Period.

Get a luxury car and keep it for a very long time. They are built better than the regular cars so with age they won't feel as tired as an Accord will. The usual 3 from Germany, or Lexus from Japan.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

"Disaster" is a gross overstatement. It jumped into the arena and immediately had all the same DPF/EGR/SCR issues as every OTHER truck diesel (and every diesel PERIOD, except the VWs that cheated their way out of the problems...) has been having since the tighter diesel emission controls took place. (Side-note: in that same time frame I've gone from almost never seeing a heavy truck broken down beside the highway unless it was a blown tire, to seeing several trucks PER DAY on a cross-country road trip with their hoods up beside the highway, or on the hook of a the tow rig. Coincidence? No way!)

As far as the engine itself, not much griping going on.

http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-mechanical/8564-eco-diesel-engine-failures.html

Quite a lot of issues given this is an extremely low volume engine. Almost sounds like early Ford 6.0 issues.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Get a luxury car and keep it for a very long time. They are built better than the regular cars so with age they won't feel as tired as an Accord will. The usual 3 from Germany, or Lexus from Japan.

They have their share of problems. Mercedes has been better in the last few years. It's really hard to tell for a car that's just 2-3 years old, most forum members don't really post problems because pretty much everything will be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Also some problems are specific to a particular option like a panorama roof making creaking noises as the car flexes, that seems to happen with most models, but the fix is to tighten up the bolts. The panorama roof is cool though so the car is still enjoyable even with various problems that will crop up. Also even though problems are posted, it doesn't mean it will happen to you unless there are many threads about the same problem.

Almost every car will have its own problem and quirks... and some just unfortunately get a bad apple.

Something can be said for older vehicles with simpler designs, electronics packages and possibly better QC/parts. Unfortunately those same cars can suffer from a lack of past maintenance, due for a major service or environment (rust). Even with things sorted, parts/components will fail with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back