Is Tesla's Cybertruck the new status car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Posting this in vehicle section instead of electric vehicle section as this article is not EV exclusive.

Disclosure- I am not opposed to any vehicle running on any fuel or any platform- as long as a free market is what drives the success or failure of the vehicle. I am intrigued by Elon Musk and think in a non-vehicle comment, I am grateful he uses his some of his resources to fight censorship and embrace free speech.

Nonetheless, this article implies Elon Musk may have pulled off quite a stunt- having the TSLA truck be a status symbol among the rich and famous, with the implied benefit of making all TLSAs more desirable. Fascinating.

Sure it is, or at least can be. So are the Ferraris, Bugattis, custom whatever's, you name it.
Cars have always been status symbols. My Dad told me as a kid, they used to brag about how many cars were on their blocks...

By the way, my block has close to 10 EVs, mostly Teslas but others as well. Here's my next door neighbor's Bolt in my driveway yesterday; this is their 3rd Bolt lease. I prefer our GS...
1709651142260.jpg

Tesla has always been a status symbol so this is nothing new.

I am glad you brought up free speech though. We have to be strong and allow it for everyone, even if it makes us uncomfortable.

I don't agree with what Vladimir Putin, Xi Jinping, and Ayatollah Ali Khamenei are saying. However, I will always defend their rights to free speech. Americans should be able to hear from them and decide for themselves.

Electric vehicles as publicity props?
Is it not the case that there's a huge segment of the population which equates electric vehicles with the big-bad-government?

Arnold driving a Hummer into the Good Morning America studio isn't the same as Adidas shoe promoter Bad Bunny being photographed in one....or is it?

Always remember people, advertising is the #1 business in this country.
It's kinda sad if you ask me.

Maybe, in a landscape of boring white and other neutral colored crossovers and trucks that all look the same, when something different comes out it gets attention. Take all the EV stuff out and put in a gas or diesel engine, it would still get a ton of attention. It's the Delorian of the day.

Musk is pretty good at marketing. Took a crappy childs picture and made it. Also, made it bulletproof because why not? Dubious range claims were made, but people still want this thing for some reason.

As for the Hummer H2s someone else mentioned. It sure worked. The prices on those are still quite high with a ton of miles.

Marketing and fashion trends are all about setting hooks into people's minds. I'd have to get a really big hook into my mind to consider driving a pyramid-shaped toaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back