Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (SP) | 6,000 miles | 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 | 77,000 Miles

I always thought that M1 FS 0W-40 was designed this way. It's the "fuel efficiency" motor oil in the entire FS lineup. Way back when, Mobil used to advertise it as fuel efficient motor oil. In fact, today they advertise Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 as being more fuel efficient than Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Go figure...
It could only be “designed” thin out within the limits of the approval’s viscosity retention requirements (which would be the same for any oil).

It would also be an odd design feature since all fuel economy/CO2 emission testing is performed with new oil. It isn’t a benefit if the oil mechanically shears later on.

And anyway I don’t think mechanical shear of the VM is as prevalent as some people think it to be, most viscosity deviations seen here are likely fuel dilution.

Last edited:
And anyway I don’t think mechanical shear of the VM is as prevalent as some people think it to be, most viscosity deviations seen here are likely fuel dilution
My personal opinion is that HTHS doesn't change for this oil. I also don't think that mechanical shear is as much of an issue for this oil as is heat. Finally, Blackstone may have measured the operating viscosity wrong. Hopefully they'll rerun the test.

Received the new report after they reran it. Reminder that all 6k miles were easy & calm driving with 35 miles each way daily.

I'll be looking forward to the next report with M1 FS 5w-40 SP I have in it now. Planning to run it to 5k now.

IMG_0783.jpg

Last edited:
Received the new report after they reran it. Reminder that all 6k miles were easy & calm driving with 35 miles each way daily.

I'll be looking forward to the next report with M1 FS 5w-40 SP I have in it now. Planning to run it to 5k now.

View attachment 203939
I have a feeling there's more fuel in the oil than <0.5%. Without gas chromatography, you'll never know. Next time, try Oil Analyzers.

I have a feeling there's more fuel in the oil than <0.5%. Without gas chromatography, you'll never know. Next time, try Oil Analyzers.
if fuel dilution is the possibility here, any idea why I wasn’t seeing similar result on the previous run, which was Fram 0w-30? Is Fram 30 really high on viscosity grade, or was it because of a short run at 3k miles?

Definitely moving on from BS as their turn time is ridiculous. I’m planning to go with OA next time.

Last edited:
if fuel dilution is the possibility here, any idea why I wasn’t seeing similar result on the previous run, which was Fram 0w-30? Is Fram 30 really high on viscosity grade, or was it because of a short run at 3k miles?

Definitely moving on from BS as their turn time is ridiculous. I’m planning to go with OA next time.
Yeah, let's avoid making any conclusions until you are using OAI.

Click HERE for the previous UOA result (Fram 0W-30 Non-euro oil)

Here’s my second UOA result and this time on Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (SP). Changed to M1 FS 5W-40 (SP formula) after this.

I’d appreciate your comments and feedback.

Oil: Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (API SP Formula)
Oil life: 6,000 miles
Vehicle: 2018 MB GLC 300 (2.0 Turbo)
Mileage: 77,000 miles
Driving Conditions: Mix of city and highway - Almost always smooth & easy driving style

View attachment 203577
Looks like 30w was ok.

Wouldn't the flashpoint be lower, had the engine oil contained more fuel?

In my opinion, since the additive & base oil formulation of this 0w40 has changed in the past year, that-alone could signal why the oil sheared this much.

I like the Mobil-1 Euro 0w40 SP. It's currently in our Hyundai. I just thought it was a tad-too-thick for where I live. So I blended it with 10.5cst 10w30 EP T/A. Engine sounds great and runs flawlessly. My wife thought the engine repeatedly died last time we sat at numerous red lights. Smooth as silk and so is the Amsoil Euro 0w30 in our Kia. Same thing there....... we sit at red lights and we would swear the engine is shut down.

I have both vehicles Start-Stop disabled BTW. I finally found a good use for our toothpicks....lol

No more POE, they switched to comb polymers, and a GTL+AN baseoil formulation, the add pack is Magnesium + Calcium now, API SP compliant. Still nearly 1000 ppm Phosphorus, 80 ppm Trimer Moly.
What do you make of the ESP 5W-30 having no moly at all now?

I always thought that M1 FS 0W-40 was designed this way. It's the "fuel efficiency" motor oil in the entire FS lineup. Way back when, Mobil used to advertise it as fuel efficient motor oil. In fact, today they advertise Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 as being more fuel efficient than Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Go figure...

MB 229.71 and MB 229.72 are 0W-20 motor oils. If you want a good affordable and easy to find MB 229.51/MB 229.52 motor oil, I recommend Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. The difference between MB 229.51 and MB 229.52 is that 229.52 has to be a little bit more fuel efficient. The add pack that this oil uses will also pass Porsche A40 testing, and qualifies for MB 229.52 approval. It's good & cheap. For a turbo engine, I would steer clear of 0W oils, unless climate dictates it.
I'm not sure it's that straightforward? The project lead for ESP X3 0W-40 told me that it is indeed the best Porsche Cxx oil in terms of wear protection despite the fact that it beats most C30 oils on fuel efficiency.

I'm not sure it's that straightforward? The project lead for ESP X3 0W-40 told me that it is indeed the best Porsche Cxx oil in terms of wear protection despite the fact that it beats most C30 oils on fuel efficiency.
Did he mention anything about how it compares with 0w-40 FS?

Better if you have a Porsche. He wouldn't recommend it for a BMW for me even out of warranty, very conservative.
Interesting, so he was telling you to stick with the FS for your BMW if I'm understanding you correctly?

Why does XOM have this note about 0W-40 ESP X3

"Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 can only be used in the vehicles for which it is approved. It is not backward compatible with vehicle engines requiring an A40, C30 or C20 ."

Interesting, so he was telling you to stick with the FS for your BMW if I'm understanding you correctly?
Yep, he was probably concerned about things like the valvetronic test or something similar. The test engines for that program were Porsche/VAG and MB AMG engines.

Why does XOM have this note about 0W-40 ESP X3

"Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 can only be used in the vehicles for which it is approved. It is not backward compatible with vehicle engines requiring an A40, C30 or C20 ."
I didn’t ask but I probably should have. My assumption is it’s just Porsche covering themselves because they never went back to test M96 and older engines in this program.

View attachment 203939
You probably need to Italian tune that engine every now and then with so much easy driving.

Back