M1 FS Euro 0w-40, Val PB "Restore" 10w-30, 5.1K OCI, 07 GMC 6.2L

GM recommends 2-3k piston ring break in yet there are some on here that say there is no break-in necessary these days.

Carryover triggers yellow flags on most of my result reports because I almost never run the same oil twice (mad scientist) :)

Carryover can have a bigger effect than expected. Some examples from my own recent UOAs:
Calcium starts at 2813, ends at 2369. Previous UOA had Ca of 840
Calcium starts at 1702, ends at 1361. Previous UOA had Ca of 987
Magnesium starts at 12, ends at 120. Previous UOA had Mg of 727
Magnesium starts at 11, ends at 95. Previous UOA had Mg of 693
How big is the sump? There will be some inherent variability and of course some additives that disappear (like Boron). My SRT's UOA has lower levels of phosphorous than either the baseline for the oil used and the previous oil for example. Here's my wife's 1500. Oil #1 is M1 EP 0W-20, #2 is the BL for the HPL SC 0W-20, #3 is the UOA. You can see Zinc stayed unchanged, while phosphorous shows a bit lower, as did Magnesium and Calcium:

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 12.18.54 AM.jpg

How big is the sump? There will be some inherent variability and of course some additives that disappear (like Boron).
I intentionally did not mention Boron because of that. As for sump?

These two came from our Volvo S80 with a 7.2qt sump:
Calcium starts at 2813, ends at 2369. Previous UOA had Ca of 840
Magnesium starts at 12, ends at 120. Previous UOA had Mg of 727
UOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...i-castrol-euro-5w30-a3-b4.375252/post-6668562

These two came from our CR-V, with a sump size of 3.7qt:
Calcium starts at 1702, ends at 1361. Previous UOA had Ca of 987
Magnesium starts at 11, ends at 95. Previous UOA had Mg of 693
Here's the UOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2018-cr-v-mobil-1-esp-5w30-4502-miles.373385/post-6618097

Obviously, this is most prevalent when previous oil has some widely different values than current oil, but it illustrates my point that unless you're sticking with the same (or similar) oil, you will occasionally see some significant differences just from carryover.

Last edited:
Obviously, this is most prevalent when previous oil has some widely different values than current oil, but it illustrates my point that unless you're sticking with the same (or similar) oil, you will occasionally see some significant differences just from carryover.
That's why I found Zinc on mine interesting, because even though the previous oil had massively less, the level wasn't reduced. You saw a 500ppm reduction in calcium going from an oil with 840, while I saw only a reduction of 171ppm going from an oil with ~1000ppm. Previous oil moly was only 76 but deviation from the VOA was almost nothing.

So, given these data points, can we just chalk the deviations up to dilution by the previous product? I don't think we can.

That's a very good point, but unless you're consistently using the same oil blend over and over, you're going to get carryover that still results in "mixing oils".
Right, another reason why it is a fruitless endeavor. But to each their own. There is no guarantee of gain or loss.

I would say, dont mix the different brands of oil, thinking you are accomplishing anything, you are not. Use one or the other in an OCI. Chemistry will be different and you may not be getting the full potential of either or when you mix. Both of the oils you chose are "leading brand", so you cant go wrong with either. Sure they meet the same specs, but get there in a differrent way.

I am not an expert in oil anaylsis, thats all I got.
It’s really not a lot different than mixing a qt of Hp EC into the sump for a slower cleaning.

Glad I could help you
Not really you did not really help me ,since it is not my thread, your point is invalid. HPL EC is specifically made to mix with oils, for a specific reason.

Not really you did not really help me ,since it is not my thread, your point is invalid. HPL EC is specifically made to mix with oils, for a specific reason.
well, going by that logic, Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer is also “made to mix with oils for a specific reason”. So is every other motor oil additive on earth. So they all must be better to mix with motor oil than, uh motor oil lol???

Do you wonder why HPL EC states in their product description this-
  • Compatible with other conventional and synthetic engine oils
How do you know if HPL EC is more compatible with Mobil 1 0w40 than is VPBR?

well, going by that logic, Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer is also “made to mix with oils for a specific reason”. So is every other motor oil additive on earth. So they all must be better to mix with motor oil than, uh motor oil lol???

Do you wonder why HPL EC states in their product description this-
  • Compatible with other conventional and synthetic engine oils
How do you know if HPL EC is more compatible with Mobil 1 0w40 than is VPBR?
Dont care why HPL states as they do. I have no doubt that it is formulated to work WITH oils. ""Other" would denote "other than our products" I would assume, but you should ask them.

Do I know? Not really, I am not a chemist or oil scientist, but I have asked this question in the past to Valvoline, regarding Napa oil, and their answer was that there was no advantage, and the benefits of the oils would be degraded. Although they were blended by Valvoline, the products were different, and they did not recommend the practice on a regular basis on that point.

There will undoubtedly be mixing when doing an oil change. I think we have to look at how different engine may "hold" oil even when the oil is drained, even over an extended amount of time (i.e. draining overnight). Last year while I was doing an oil change and draining the oil and just letting it drip, I was preparing to do some other repairs. I jacked up the rear end and another half a quart of oil came out of the oil pan. As a result, I had to add another half quart during the fill than what I normally do. My guess is if I jacked up the front and each side, I may get even more oil drained.

Dont care why HPL states as they do. I have no doubt that it is formulated to work WITH oils. ""Other" would denote "other than our products" I would assume, but you should ask them.

Do I know? Not really, I am not a chemist or oil scientist, but I have asked this question in the past to Valvoline, regarding Napa oil, and their answer was that there was no advantage, and the benefits of the oils would be degraded. Although they were blended by Valvoline, the producd not recommend the practice on a regular basis on that point.
Thanks for admiring you don’t really know what your talking about.

Back