M1 FS Euro 0w-40, Val PB "Restore" 10w-30, 5.1K OCI, 07 GMC 6.2L

This report, #8, paid an additional $6.90 for TAN too, is about a mix, 5 qts M1 FS Euro 0w-40 and 1 qt Valvoline PB "Restore" 10w-30. Vehicle is a 2007 Yukon Denali w/6.2L we mostly use for long hwy trips. OLM indicated 51% remaining.

I bought the vehicle 5+ years ago w/130k miles. It had been road hard and hung up wet. All piston rings were stuck. It was consuming 2 ounces of oil per 100 miles, half sucked thru the defective GM designed pcv system into the combustion chambers, and half leaking out the rear main seal/cover and onto the ground. Varnish and carbon everywhere in the engine.

I immediately installed a catch can and performed GM TSB 10-06-01-008M:

https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

No oil consumption since. Today it has 195K miles & 5691 hrs. Catch can collects about 2 ounces per 5k miles. No unusual noises. Gets 18+ mpg on the hwy and 15+ locally. I feed it premium unleaded. No complaints.

Here the link to the Fram Ultra XG10060 C&P I posted a week ago:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/fram-ultra-xg10060-c-p.380420/

Looks okay to me. I think a lot of the metals in the report are coming from this oil cleaning up the internals.

What say you?

DSCN8211.JPG

Last edited:
I would say, dont mix the different brands of oil, thinking you are accomplishing anything, you are not. Use one or the other in an OCI. Chemistry will be different and you may not be getting the full potential of either or when you mix. Both of the oils you chose are "leading brand", so you cant go wrong with either. Sure they meet the same specs, but get there in a differrent way.

I am not an expert in oil anaylsis, thats all I got.

I changed the oil and went back in with "2 qts" of VPB "Restore" this time (instead of only 1 qt) and 4 qts of M1 FS Euro 0w-40.
Same filter, XG10060.
It will be interesting to see that tested sample when that time comes too. I like what you're doing & I like your name if that's your real name.

First time seeing such a spike across the board too. So, Restore should be working as advertised. Yay!
This has got to be the first time in history that I’ve seen somebody not only celebrate an increase in wear metals as evidence that something is “working as advertised”, but also wholly attributing said change as completely dependent on the 16% minority oil when it was poured in with one of the arguably most proven oils on the planet. It’s akin to pouring a quart of Dollar General oil into Erica Enders’ sump and then claiming DG was the reason for her winning the championship.

Jetman, I agree with burbguy, go all in on one or the other; right now there’s no way to determine what is doing what. I know you’re already mixed up again, but if you have more Restore I’d do it alone next time, LSs have survived billions of miles on 30 grade oils.

looks like 8 to 10,000 miles on thin oil, that doesnt report too well.

Gm likely very happy that you are using their recommend, as you will be buying a new vehicle sooner rather than later.

People can do what they want, but if mixing oils is such a great thing, why stop at just two brands, or weights for that matter. Arguably, Castrol, SOPUS, Amalie, Mobil, Valvoline, Warren, are just as "good" as each other and all have good properties. Why not mix them all together, then you should achieve the "best results".

I think what would be found is a greatly diminished performance of all the oils used.

People can do what they want, but if mixing oils is such a great thing, why stop at just two brands, or weights for that matter. Arguably, Castrol, SOPUS, Amalie, Mobil, Valvoline, Warren, are just as "good" as each other and all have good properties. Why not mix them all together, then you should achieve the "best results".

I think what would be found is a greatly diminished performance of all the oils used.

Hmmm, I recall members doing a “CATERHAM BLEND” of M1 0w20 and M1 0w40. I used it without issues. Guess I’m wrong for mixing. Nothing wrong with it as I do it all the time with older oils and newer stuff

Hmmm, I recall members doing a “CATERHAM BLEND” of M1 0w20 and M1 0w40. I used it without issues. Guess I’m wrong for mixing. Nothing wrong with it as I do it all the time with older oils and newer stuff
Adam, Caterham’s swill of choice was TGMO; it seems he was mystified by its high VI (and VERY high VII) of something like 227… however, most people were put off by the just-barely-meets-spec Noack results of right at 15%. The high VII combined with high Noack is probably a good root cause for all those Toyota owners who thought they “were giving their Toyota the best oil because it says Toyota right on the bottle!” ended up with coked-up oil control rings and engines that drank more than sailors on port call.

Looking back, it’s easy to see Toyota was chasing high VIs & therefore very thin startup viscosities in order to maximize their CAFE credits, not as a favor to their vehicle owners.

This Valvoline Restore product is for cleaning up OP engine as it was designed to do that. They could have used all Valv. Restore but wanted to see the results first before bumping up to 2 quarts. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to just add all of this Restore product at once until things are tested hence the mix.

This Valvoline Restore product is for cleaning up OP engine as it was designed to do that. They could have used all Valv. Restore but wanted to see the results first before bumping up to 2 quarts. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to just add all of this Restore product at once until things are tested hence the mix.
I understand the viewpoint, but I disagree that mixing the two has any benefits. It is not like the Restore product is going to remove all "deposits" at once. An oil analysis could give some misleading data on this subject.

Lets say that on the next oil change interval, the iron content shows 3, for example. Would that mean that the experimental mix did not do its job? No, not really. It could equally mean that the oil filter has caught all the "debris", and it is not suspended in the oil. It could mean that for whatever reason, the "debris is gone.

All in all, my point is that to really see if this product or mix is doing anything, a trend has to be observed, with analysis, and visual inspections of the pleats in the oil filter. One oil change will not give enough data for anyone to answer the question with any certainty.

Not really worth an arguement. It seems like the OP has been taking care of it since his purchase, and that alone might be the cause of some of the clean up. Who knows.

Well the difference is the formulation of the oil. You quoted M1 & M1. To this I would have no objection. Chemistry between the two will be the same or close, as I understand it. M1 and Valvoline are different oils, different chemistry. One may, (for lack of better terms) omit the properties of the other.

Kind of like going on a semi low carb diet, not much results. Go no carb and you will lose 30 lbs in 30 days.

I am not a scientist, just putting in my opinion on the subject of blending two different formulations of oils. @jetman asked for opinions. If I were going to try this, I would at the least use a Valvoline product with the Restore. As a matter of fact, I thought about it since it came out on my RV.

not sure why a person would deliberately mix different oils to achieve better results, only for a emergency top off, if needed ,there are well qualified formulator's that virtually every brand oversees the proper process of the intended outcome of the lubricant,including approvals,licenseing,etc,warrentys,,in view of the uoa,perhaps use a good engine flush then put in Vavoline EP high miliage,5w-30 ,or Mobil 5w-30 extended performance ,high milage for 5k ,hopefully your results improve.

All in all, my point is that to really see if this product or mix is doing anything, a trend has to be observed, with analysis, and visual inspections of the pleats in the oil filter. One oil change will not give enough data for anyone to answer the question with any certainty.

Not really worth an arguement. It seems like the OP has been taking care of it since his purchase, and that alone might be the cause of some of the clean up. Who knows.
I thought that's exactly what OP is doing are they not?

Back