What is in this Mobil oil that has modern diesel compatibility at all?

Says it is for gas as well as diesel vehicles but I can’t see any sort of dual use spec

The older version of this oil was specced ACEA A5/B5 but is now GF6A and API SP

1694572855624.png

I don't know what to reply except if it were me living in India, I would look for something with higher HT/HS of only 3. I think a 40 grade oil should be more in line. TBN is also low for diesel applications.

I don't know what to reply except if it were me living in India, I would look for something with higher HT/HS of only 3. I think a 40 grade oil should be more in line. TBN is also low for diesel applications.
Oh I’m not touching this one with a barge pole. Just found it, shuddered and decided to ask what I’m missing here

Says it is for gas as well as diesel vehicles but I can’t see any sort of dual use spec

The older version of this oil was specced ACEA A5/B5 but is now GF6A and API SP

View attachment 178256

The dual use is found within the listed API specifications. With regards to API, C = Compression and S = Spark.

For this particular example it's API CJ (diesel) and the other API specs are gasoline.

API CJ-4: "For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 non-road exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or drain interval. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval."

Another indicator is that sulfated ash is at .8%.

Last edited:
Doubt it's terrible but with alternatives being better and likely cheaper i don't think I'd buy it.

The dual use is found within the listed API specifications. With regards to API, C = Compression and S = Spark.

Another indicator is that sulfated ash is at .8%.
As far as I can see it is api cf which is pretty antique as far as diesel specs go, and they’re billing this oil as BS6 (vehicles with DPF / SCR). GF6A and API SP are unquestionably that for gas engines .. somehow I’m not so sure they should be selling this for any modern diesel at all.

As far as I can see it is api cf which is pretty antique as far as diesel specs go, and they’re billing this oil as BS6 (vehicles with DPF / SCR). GF6A and API SP are unquestionably that for gas engines .. somehow I’m not so sure they should be selling this for any modern diesel at all.
Ahh yes. I made an error posting API CJ instead of CF. It's probably fine anyways with the sulfated ash of .8%. That's ACEA Cx territory which is DPF acceptable.

Last edited:
What does that even mean?
Just “how come this spec is being offered for sale in a country where the temperature is over 100 in the shade and how come for any sort of modern diesel when it is API CF, even with an admittedly high sulfated ash content”. It is a decent spec for a gas car, yes, but in a country where most cars recommend an ACEA spec in their manuals.

If you were questioning 'barge pole' (used to propel boats in shallow water by pushing along the bottom), probably a regional adaptation of the common phrase 'not touching that with a 10 foot pole!'.

If not, carry on! Haha
I didn't know his comment to my initial reply had any relevance whatsoever. It's like "say what"?

I didn't know his comment to my initial reply had any relevance whatsoever. It's like "say what"?

you said if you were living in india you would look for a different oil.

He said he's not buying it, he is just wondering what the deal is.

Makes perfect sense.

i'm going to start running around saying barge pole now...

Back