Mobil 1 filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who makes Mobil 1 filters? And are they worth the cost? They are the most expensive filter on the Walmart Shelf

Used to be Champ made them. Are they worth it? No, not when a Fram Ultra, which is a much better built & performing oil filter, costs less at walmart or amazon.
Compare construction of the Ultra vs. M1. Two main differences. 1. Ultra has a better filtering media, getting 99.5% 20 microns 4548-12, and even getting 80% 5 microns, using a fully synthetic double layer media while the M1 uses wood fibers & glass fibers mixed.
2. Ultra has a wire backing on its media, the M1 none of that.
Mobil knows many people like the "match" their purchase of M1 oil with an M1 filter for psychological reasons, and thats why they price it higher than it should be priced. Rip-off at that price.

No-the Bosch Distance Plus has the strongest outside construction-unfortunately, the D+ has some of the usual Puro weaknesses (other than tearing). The older M1 filters were quite good, the newer suffix "A" ones are not the same quality as the old ones were. Price is too high too.

They're a dollar more than the Fram Ultra. Are they worth the cost? If you use them for 2 OCI's we're arguing over 50 cents. I am sure they're a very good filter that you can use with confidence.

I wont comment..im using napa proselects. I could care less about expensive filters. I like good construction. Not too concerned with efficiency.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
They are the strongest as far as the case is concerned, FUs seem to better in every other way.

How are they stronger? Thicker steel on cannister filters? What about cartridges? I've torn apart a FU cartridge filter, but not an M1. They appear, from just observation, to be pretty similar in construction.

Originally Posted by NHRATA
Who makes Mobil 1 filters? And are they worth the cost? They are the most expensive filter on the Walmart Shelf

Champion labs makes them and they are easily worth $1 more than Fu.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
Champion labs makes them and they are easily worth $1 more than Fu.

Why are they worth it?

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Compare construction of the Ultra vs. M1. Two main differences.

1. Ultra has a better filtering media, getting 99.5% 20 microns 4548-12, and even getting 80% 5 microns, using a fully synthetic double layer media while the M1 uses wood fibers & glass fibers mixed.

2. Ultra has a wire backing on its media, the M1 none of that.

Originally Posted by CT8
Prove any filter is better.

Which filter keeps the oil cleaner (ie, better ISO Code).

Oil Filter Particle Count Comparision (Filter A thru D)-2.jpg

Originally Posted by NHRATA

M1 is better constructed, has a way thicker can. M1s media doesn't need a wire backing. It handles itself just fine and can easily last it's claimed 20k as I've confirmed by my own personal use.
I haven't seen any spec info provided by m1 really Wich is an issue to me because it would be nice to confirm a filter is sufficient for a particular application.
If your looking for the bestt fit for your vehicle I'd suggest going oem or take a look at wix/ napa gold filters. They are usually much better about tayloring their filters to the applications requirements.

I believe the Purolator boss filter has the strongest case , at least from my experience

Originally Posted by motts
I believe the Purolator boss filter has the strongest case , at least from my experience

True! They have the strongest case for not using them...
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Prove any filter is better.

From a purely practical, "everyday commuter car" perspective?

Then none - - or, hardly any are, or would make any difference.

People dog the Bosch Distance+ plus for being rated at 40 microns......

GUESS WHAT?!?!!? It wasn't until just the last decade or so that ANY oil filters were rated better than 40 microns!

In the REAL world, it just doesn't make much difference.

An ISO Cleanliness Code measurement on used oil shows a difference depending on the filter efficiency. Ceaner oil is better than not.

I laugh at the constant pimping for Fram Ultra in this forum. The zealotry is hilarious. To the original poster: The Mobil 1 product is an excellent top shelf product that Champion Labs warrants for one year or 20,000 miles in service when used with a full synthetic motor oil designed for your oil change interval. If it damages your engine in that period Champion Labs warrants to restore your engine to what it was before the failure, or pay you the value of the vehicle, whichever is less. Fram on the other hand warrants it entire product line "free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval". Not extended oil changes -- Fram warranty is the recommended change interval in your car owner's manual which is maybe 7,500 miles not 20,000. Does their "top shelf" product the Fram Ultra get it's own special warranty treatment for let's say ... 20,000 miles like it says on the box? No, it does not.

Originally Posted by wdn
I laugh at the constant pimping for Fram Ultra in this forum. The zealotry is hilarious. To the original poster: The Mobil 1 product is an excellent top shelf product that Champion Labs warrants for one year or 20,000 miles in service when used with a full synthetic motor oil designed for your oil change interval. If it damages your engine in that period Champion Labs warrants to restore your engine to what it was before the failure, or pay you the value of the vehicle, whichever is less. Fram on the other hand warrants it entire product line "free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval". Not extended oil changes -- Fram warranty is the recommended change interval in your car owner's manual which is maybe 7,500 miles not 20,000. Does their "top shelf" product the Fram Ultra get it's own special warranty treatment for let's say ... 20,000 miles like it says on the box? No, it does not.

"+1"

Mobil 1 is made by Champ Labs to the specs of the Exxon Mobil R&D dept. They have a unique media, per Motorking. That's enough for most people to use them. Different strokes for different folks, some people are humble enough to trust experts and scientists, some people think they know more than everyone in the history of the world. Plenty of Fram defects shown on here, including many rattling Ultras and not so hot cleanliness code and particle count numbers on the Ultras. EG's take the prize for wide pleats. Doesn't matter, brand loyalty makes excuses for it all. The strong yellers for Fram have pretty much ruined this oil filter board. Try to disagree with them, point out defects, then stand back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back