Mobil-1 0W-40 in a Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm my sleds ONLY a synthetic gear lube, i like Amsoil severe gear 75w90 it has a nice low PP -54 i believe and lots of AW,EP additives, and 1 qt is good for 2-3 changes so it goes far for the money.

but any synthetic M1,valvoline,etc would be a perfect fit,some guy's run ATF,motor oil, etc i stick with a GL better anti wear properties for that particular application.

this filters you use haven't heard of them are they any good,whats filtration efficiency any idea?

Originally Posted By: daman
I'm my sleds ONLY a synthetic gear lube, i like Amsoil severe gear 75w90 it has a nice low PP -54 i believe and lots of AW,EP additives, and 1 qt is good for 2-3 changes so it goes far for the money.

but any synthetic M1,valvoline,etc would be a perfect fit,some guy's run ATF,motor oil, etc i stick with a GL better anti wear properties for that particular application.

this filters you use haven't heard of them are they any good,whats filtration efficiency any idea?

The Amsoil Marine gear lube is synthetic like the Severe gear, only it states it can still protect/do it's job with 10% water infiltration?
I forget the range but something tells me it is broader than 75-90?

The Hi-Flo filters I use were a recommendation by a highly regarded motorcycle shop where I took my atv once for an EPI clutch kit, they used nothing but and had some pretty good info stating these same filters were made for other top manu's like Yamaha, Honda etc, but for usually less than half the price?
They do make one for my Vector so I would also assume they would make one for your Apex as well, if it is not the same filter anyways?
This is the best I can do, no tech data that I can see.
They are a quality piece imo and like I said earlier, I never had any issues in 4yrs running them in my Grizzly.
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/8.0.html

Originally Posted By: irv

The Amsoil Marine gear lube is synthetic like the Severe gear, only it states it can still protect/do it's job with 10% water infiltration?

The Hi-Flo filters I use were a recommendation by a highly regarded motorcycle shop where I took my atv once for an EPI clutch kit, they used nothing but and had some pretty good info stating these same filters were made for other top manu's like Yamaha, Honda etc, but for usually less than half the price?
They do make one for my Vector so I would also assume they would make one for your Apex as well, if it is not the same filter anyways?
They are a quality piece imo and like I said earlier, I never had any issues in 4yrs running them in my Grizzly.

Hmmm might be ok be nice to have some specs still..hard to find a good filter for these engines.

Hmmm might be ok be nice to have some specs still..hard to find a good filter for these engines.

This comment right here tells me what the mechanics/owner at the bike shop I was referring too, were talking about, that these filters are made for other "TOP" manu's but their name is put on it.
Kinda like Yamalube, everyone knows Yamaha does not make their own oil,,,,nor do I believe they make their own filters.
OE Manufacturer - OE Specs plus performance

Last edited:

Daman, I found this at TY4stroke, it's a list of crss referenced oil filters for Vector's and Apex's.
Personally, I am going to run the Hi-Flo's and probably nothing else?

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:32 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is helpful, it was for me.

Original: 5DM-13440-00-00

Yamaha Filter Cross Reference Chart

Supertech ST6607
Yamaha 5GH-13440-00
K & N KN303
AC Delco PF1237
Hastings LF113
Wix 51358
Purolator ML16819

I used the K & N, which I bought at the local "Blains Farm & Fleet" for around $9.00 each. Worked just fine for me.

Just completed an oil change this past wknd using Mobil-1 0W-40.

In short, I can't believe how much of a difference it made with the noise level?(it is much quieter and smoother running imo)

I also noticed that it had no trouble returning to a normal idle of 1200-1500ish?
Running the Yamalube 0W-30, it would sometimes(most actually)stay in a high idle( 2400ish) and the only way of getting it to return to normal was to shut the sled down and restart it?

Not sure what this means exactly but it does return to it's normal idle range quickly and everytime?

I have a 2006 'Vector' & after the change with the yama-lube I have on hand I will use 0-40 Mobile One or some other synthetic. I'll do the change on some nice Summer day.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I have a 2006 'Vector' & after the change with the yama-lube I have on hand I will use 0-40 Mobile One or some other synthetic. I'll do the change on some nice Summer day.

I think you will like it Mr. Joe, seems like a pretty popular choice over at www.ty4stroke.com as well.

Hmmm,cool thanks!

Daman, just curious what you use for grease in your bearings?
I have used Amsoil syn waterproof for years and have had good luck with it but I am curious if there is anything better out there?
Thanks

Hmmm,cool thanks!

I have used Amsoil syn waterproof for years and have had good luck with it but I am curious if there is anything better out there?
Thanks

I think what you have will be hard to beat,i just use Yamaha's High-Performance Snowmobile Grease, seems ok never a bearing issues with it,actually thought about trying some Amsoil,how is that stuff in the cold temps?

http://www.teamalpine.com/pages_catalogs...ile-grease.aspx

Hmmm,cool thanks!

Thanks

I think what you have will be hard to beat,i just use Yamaha's High-Performance Snowmobile Grease, seems ok never a bearing issues with it,actually thought about trying some Amsoil,how is that stuff in the cold temps?

I am guessing it will be hard to beat as well daman as I have never had any issues with it.
It does work extremely well in cold temps, whenever I have checked bearings over the years for washout etc there is always some remaining.
My bud who use to sell Amsoil products did a dry ice test with Amsoil grease and oils and it was surprising to see the Amsoil still had some lubricity/movement to it, it wasn't one big frozen glob of it.
I think I will continue to use it unless someone can show/prove their is something better out there?

Hmmm,cool thanks!

Thanks

I am guessing it will be hard to beat as well daman as I have never had any issues with it.
It does work extremely well in cold temps, whenever I have checked bearings over the years for washout etc there is always some remaining.
My bud who use to sell Amsoil products did a dry ice test with Amsoil grease and oils and it was surprising to see the Amsoil still had some lubricity/movement to it, it wasn't one big frozen glob of it.
I think I will continue to use it unless someone can show/prove their is something better out there?

Nope i think your good.

Quote:
Kinda like Yamalube, everyone knows Yamaha does not make their own oil,

Citgo is the maker is US, Imperial Oil Co. (ESSO) in Canada, Torco in other coutries.

Well I got the Vector all ready the other day. I started it up to warm the oil, put the optimate 3 on till the battery was charged & changed the oil. I used the yamalube semi-synthetic I bought last Spring. Next time it's Moile 1 0-40.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Well I got the Vector all ready the other day. I started it up to warm the oil, put the optimate 3 on till the battery was charged & changed the oil. I used the yamalube semi-synthetic I bought last Spring. Next time it's Moile 1 0-40.

How long do you plan on running the Yamalube Joe?

I would be interested in seeing a UOA of it if your planning on getting one done?

I plan to change the oil in the Vector once a year, in the warmer months. We will probably only put about 500-700 miles a winter on the machine.

Just curious, now that the season is most likely over(for me anyways)if anyone has ever gotten a UOA done on a 4 stroke sled engine?

I am due to change my oil soon and I am curious on what my used oil looks like anaylsis wise.
Not many places to get these tests done up here but hopefully I can find a good one who is relatively close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back