Millenials living at home epidemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am 33. I started community college after high school and I found I didn't like school too much, although I like education. I also didn't know what to go to school for. I decided I was not going to go to school just to go. I dropped out and got a job. I started as a warehouse grunt at a local electric supply house. I worked there 10 years and moved up to a counter salesman in that time. I switched companies a few years back and now am an outside salesman and my salary can go as high as I can sell. Do I wake up and run to work so I can sell light fixtures and gear? No. I do it though and I am getting better at it. I have a wife and a house and a dog I can afford to take care of. We will have our first kid in 8 months or so hopefully and I should be able to take care of them both on my salary. One thing I never understood is people getting worthless degrees. We have a couple of young ladies in the office (25) that both have degrees. They are not worthless degrees but they just don't apply to anything they are doing. They aren't necessary for the job path they got into. One of them has 130k in debt combined with her husband. half of that is hers. She plans on just quitting when she has a baby and letting her husband provide for the family. Now she tells me her husband is going back to get a $60K masters degree to bring their total school debt up to $190k!! For crying out loud he is a salesman on commission. Why on earth would he need another degree? It blows my mind how unphased they are about going into so much debt.
My wife has 2 degrees and some student debt. Not too much. She is a school librarian and loves her job. She's happy. I am ok with that. I am glad she stayed my uneducated butt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Let's take my grandparent's for example. My grandfather owned an auto-repair business. He wasn't exactly raking in the dough but they lived comfortably. My grandmother was a stay at home mom for a long time. They were able to buy a couple houses cheap and rent them out and they were paying for themselves, he then sold them a little while later. Their current house they paid $26,000 for that has an attached apartment they rented out that paid the mortgage. My grandmother did some secretarial work and had a stroke and became disabled at age 50. My grandfather became disabled at 60 and retired then 20 years ago. Their house is free and clear (obviously) and they live a comfortable retirement life, not rich but they're doing well.

I don't think that's possible these days, have a stay at home wife and retire at 60 without busting over backwards to save every penny possible and invest (they didn't really). They were smart with some property purchases and sales but it was easy back in the day to do that.

People ARE doing the same thing today. $26,000 back then, would be equivalent to the price of a decent basic home today. Your Grandparents worked, and apparently took some risks. Calculated risks are exactly that. Back then or today, there are no guarantees. And they weren't easy then nor now.

You'll hopefully grow up and realize that the grass isn't always greener. My parents were both born during the depression. You want to talk a meager existence? You have no idea.

You're what, 23 or so? you have three vehicles listed, and talk about your house. And you're able to spend lots of time on this website, so clearly you aren't working yourself to death. I'd say you have it MUCH easier than my parents did.

Were you ever Drafted and forced to serve your Country? I know you weren't, as there hasn't been a Draft since the Vietnam War. My Dad was Drafted, and served this Country honorably. At least he came home. Lots of his friends didn't. That after spending his childhood helping his Dad do whatever job he could find so the family would have food to eat. My Dad didn't spend his days wasting time, like kids do today with their video games, cellphones, etc. because his family (and most other families during that era) were simply struggling to survive.

Bottom line: Somebody has fed you a fairy tale that life was just absolutely perfect, right up until just before you born.

Me? I blame in large part the ideology that has been taught in public schools for a few decades, wherein everybody is equally special, and everybody gets a Participation Trophy. Then the little kiddies grow up, and low-and-behold they find that the World isn't just going to be handed to them, and they might need to actually put forth some effort, and maybe even compete with theirs peers...

Contains several truths but draws some wrong conclusions.

80% of my HS buddies did not go to college and they all found great careers that allowed them to live very comfortable Middle Class lives.
There was alot of industry back then.

Its a different USA today.

Heck, you can't even work your way up to a Construction Superintendent job today without a Construction Management degree.

In most areas of the country you are going to bump your head on a glass ceiling within 10 years if you don't have a degree.

Firefighter/Police Officer...each of these careers now requires atleast an Associates.

Sure, if you can get in the IBEW then you have a bright future...but good luck getting in without a relative pulling some strings most of the time.

Land Surveyor...a license used to require 8 years of field experience...now you need a 4-year degree in the majority of States...although about 10 will let you test with a 2-year. You could have 20 years of field experience but if you don't have that paper you are not getting your license.

All you guys so angry about these younger folks today really need to talk to some of these younger folks today. Not the deadbeats...but the ones going to college or getting started in entry-level careers that statistics suggest they will have atleast 3 major career changes in their lifetime. Career stability no longer exists.
Talk to them and try like [censored] to leave your prejudices back home.

Then you can talk come back here and actually have an informed position.

The majority of young people that I meet through my grandkids are nothing like these terrible stereotypes some of you are using to prove your position.
Its their world now...its a different set of rules than existed in the 20th Century. I will take the opportunities that were available to me back when I was their age any day over the world they need to survive in today and tomorrow.

I hear lots of excuses, and assumptions.

You seem to think I don't know any Millenials, maybe even Millenials in my own family. Suffice it to say I do. The ones that are constantly making excuses for why they don't do this or that, are.... simply making excuses.

(some) Young adults have been doing that since the beginning of time. As the population increases, there will simply be more of those slackers.

In my latest career, (more of a hobby for me) I see lots of Millenials that say they want to get involved. Like everything else, there are some who actually put forth an effort, and those that just want to stand around taking selfies, and/or texting their friends. The texting selfie takers are given a chance to pull their heads out, if not, they are shown the door.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Where does everyone get their high horses around these parts?

It seems like the population is increasing at an alarming rate, and we might want to start treating them as an invasive species before it gets out of hand.
18.gif

This thread to me is evidence that it doesn't have as much to do about generations as it does about our entire culture. We've become a bunch of whiners and drama queens - probably because life in America is so good it affords us the leisurely activity of deciding what to me mad and upset about.

I have 2 pensions (company and voluntary)
My wife has 3 pensions (company, voluntary and AF Reserve - retired Major)

Nothing wrong about working long term and collecting very good benefits instead of being a grasshopper, bouncing around from job to job and nothing to show for.

Young folks say the 'American Dream' is dead.... they are very foolish to think that way.

Let's take my grandparent's for example. My grandfather owned an auto-repair business. He wasn't exactly raking in the dough but they lived comfortably. My grandmother was a stay at home mom for a long time. They were able to buy a couple houses cheap and rent them out and they were paying for themselves, he then sold them a little while later. Their current house they paid $26,000 for that has an attached apartment they rented out that paid the mortgage. My grandmother did some secretarial work and had a stroke and became disabled at age 50. My grandfather became disabled at 60 and retired then 20 years ago. Their house is free and clear (obviously) and they live a comfortable retirement life, not rich but they're doing well.

I don't think that's possible these days, have a stay at home wife and retire at 60 without busting over backwards to save every penny possible and invest (they didn't really). They were smart with some property purchases and sales but it was easy back in the day to do that.

People ARE doing the same thing today. $26,000 back then, would be equivalent to the price of a decent basic home today. Your Grandparents worked, and apparently took some risks. Calculated risks are exactly that. Back then or today, there are no guarantees. And they weren't easy then nor now.

You'll hopefully grow up and realize that the grass isn't always greener. My parents were both born during the depression. You want to talk a meager existence? You have no idea.

You're what, 23 or so? you have three vehicles listed, and talk about your house. And you're able to spend lots of time on this website, so clearly you aren't working yourself to death. I'd say you have it MUCH easier than my parents did.

Were you ever Drafted and forced to serve your Country? I know you weren't, as there hasn't been a Draft since the Vietnam War. My Dad was Drafted, and served this Country honorably. At least he came home. Lots of his friends didn't. That after spending his childhood helping his Dad do whatever job he could find so the family would have food to eat. My Dad didn't spend his days wasting time, like kids do today with their video games, cellphones, etc. because his family (and most other families during that era) were simply struggling to survive.

Bottom line: Somebody has fed you a fairy tale that life was just absolutely perfect, right up until just before you born.

Me? I blame in large part the ideology that has been taught in public schools for a few decades, wherein everybody is equally special, and everybody gets a Participation Trophy. Then the little kiddies grow up, and low-and-behold they find that the World isn't just going to be handed to them, and they might need to actually put forth some effort, and maybe even compete with theirs peers...

Contains several truths but draws some wrong conclusions.

80% of my HS buddies did not go to college and they all found great careers that allowed them to live very comfortable Middle Class lives.
There was alot of industry back then.

Its a different USA today.

Heck, you can't even work your way up to a Construction Superintendent job today without a Construction Management degree.

In most areas of the country you are going to bump your head on a glass ceiling within 10 years if you don't have a degree.

Firefighter/Police Officer...each of these careers now requires atleast an Associates.

Sure, if you can get in the IBEW then you have a bright future...but good luck getting in without a relative pulling some strings most of the time.

Land Surveyor...a license used to require 8 years of field experience...now you need a 4-year degree in the majority of States...although about 10 will let you test with a 2-year. You could have 20 years of field experience but if you don't have that paper you are not getting your license.

All you guys so angry about these younger folks today really need to talk to some of these younger folks today. Not the deadbeats...but the ones going to college or getting started in entry-level careers that statistics suggest they will have atleast 3 major career changes in their lifetime. Career stability no longer exists.
Talk to them and try like [censored] to leave your prejudices back home.

Then you can talk come back here and actually have an informed position.

The majority of young people that I meet through my grandkids are nothing like these terrible stereotypes some of you are using to prove your position.
Its their world now...its a different set of rules than existed in the 20th Century. I will take the opportunities that were available to me back when I was their age any day over the world they need to survive in today and tomorrow.

I hear lots of excuses, and assumptions.

You seem to think I don't know any Millenials, maybe even Millenials in my own family. Suffice it to say I do. The ones that are constantly making excuses for why they don't do this or that, are.... simply making excuses.

(some) Young adults have been doing that since the beginning of time. As the population increases, there will simply be more of those slackers.

In my latest career, (more of a hobby for me) I see lots of Millenials that say they want to get involved. Like everything else, there are some who actually put forth an effort, and those that just want to stand around taking selfies, and/or texting their friends. The texting selfie takers are given a chance to pull their heads out, if not, they are shown the door.

Then you are not reading very close because my post is full of facts.

The only assumption I made was that you must not know many young people but it appears I was wrong. Its just that the young people in your family are very different from the young people in mine.

As for selfies and texting...I agree this is not a good thing.

Next thing you know they will be taking after all of their older workmates and spend all day on the computer surfing the net for private entertainment.

Its amazing how many forums are occupied in the daytime by people on the clock sitting at their desk.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I have 2 pensions (company and voluntary)
My wife has 3 pensions (company, voluntary and AF Reserve - retired Major)

Nothing wrong about working long term and collecting very good benefits instead of being a grasshopper, bouncing around from job to job and nothing to show for.

Young folks say the 'American Dream' is dead.... they are very foolish to think that way.

Come on Mr. Nice.

Our current President won the election on the Promise to Make America Great Again (meaning right now it is not Great...his words) and everyone that voted for him has been complaining for 8 years that the American Dream is dead.

The only assumption I made was that you must not know many young people but it appears I was wrong. Its just that the young people in your family are very different from the young people in mine.

As for selfies and texting...I agree this is not a good thing.

Next thing you know they will be taking after all of their older workmates and spend all day on the computer surfing the net for private entertainment.

Its amazing how many forums are occupied in the daytime by people on the clock sitting at their desk.

Are you saying that the young people in your family are slackers? Because either you are, or you're once again incorrectly and insultingly assuming that the young people in my family are.

For the record: The Millenials that are closest to me were taught the value of hard work. They were taught that there are no Participation Trophies in real life. They are not slackers that make excuses and think the World owes them a living.

Won't be long before this thread gets the boot.

A friend of ours has a daughter who was going to a state college for child psychology. In her senior year she quits all of a sudden, says it's not what she wants to do. Now she is at home doing nothing. No job hunting, nothing.

She won't talk about it either. Everyone is scratching their heads.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

A friend of ours has a daughter who was going to a state college for child psychology. In her senior year she quits all of a sudden, says it's not what she wants to do. Now she is at home doing nothing. No job hunting, nothing.

Your friend needs to give her precious snowflake the boot.

Younger gens are our future.We all need to be more kind and less selfish.Myself included.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Your friend needs to give her precious snowflake the boot.

Yep. Some tough love is in order here.

What bothers me most is the drinking and partying. The American Pie movie syndrome that suggests if you don't do this all out to the max living, you're missing out on life. My towns July 3 rd bonfires had to be shut down by Scituate police because it was getting out of hand. The social networking turned a family gathering into a [censored] night, "Purge" the movie type event. We were overrun with high school and college age kids from all over south ma and did not feel safe in our home. Kids yelling screaming destroying property in general anarchy.

My friend down the street sent his kid to a high end university so he could live it up. This mentality is going on in all schools from the state "party" schools all the way up to the ivy leagues.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: pbm
While it's true that there are 'slackers' in every generation, I think most of those living at home can't afford the outrageous costs of housing today....and yes there are GREEDY landlords.

Not really sure I understand what you mean by greedy. They're running a business. It's supply and demand. If they're asking too much, the unit will be vacant. I'm not sure how greedy comes into play unless you're just referring to capitalism. Corporations are out to make a profit and landlording is a business like any other business. Are they supposed to rent it below market? They're all arms length transactions. If the rent is too high, then it's time to move to a cheaper place.

Rental prices have increased dramatically since the housing bust in 2008. Many people lost their homes and declared bankruptcy and cannot afford or qualify for a mortgage today.

Demand for rentals has increased significantly and therefore the cost of monthly rent has increased. Sure its Capitalism but its also a very real obstacle facing renters today and the majority of young people of the age we are discussing are either renters or living at home with their parents. They are not homeowners because they have a large student loan debt and their debt-to-income ratio and lack of steady employment history disqualifies them from a mortgage.

While I understand the point you're making, I'd hardly say that qualifies as any justification for calling a landlord greedy. It's a business transaction, if it's too high it'll be vacant. Just like any store, if their prices are too high, it won't sell and they'll go out of business. Are they all supposed to rent a property below market?

Are you saying that the young people in your family are slackers? Because either you are, or you're once again incorrectly and insultingly assuming that the young people in my family are.

For the record: The Millenials that are closest to me were taught the value of hard work. They were taught that there are no Participation Trophies in real life. They are not slackers that make excuses and think the World owes them a living.

All I repeated is what you said here:

It sounded like you said you know Millenials in your own family that are constantly making excuses.

I was not attacking your family, your post above appeared to be.

I don't know how you came up with anyone thinking the "World owes them a living" when you respond to a quote of mine since I never implied, suggested or typed anything even remotely along these lines.

My only message throughout this entire thread is that young people are faced with a far different world than many of us were two generations ago and many opportunities that existed for my peers no longer exist for young adults today. Primarily that far more good paying CAREERS were available to my generation without the pre-requisite of a college degree. I also have stated that college costs have far outpaced inflation. Everything that I have said is common knowledge and supported by decades of news articles easily found online.

And I have pointed out the complete irony that several of the retired guys on this thread have been shouting for decades that the legislation like NAFTA sent our good jobs overseas and the influx of 'illegals" have taken what jobs remain and are largely responsible for destroying America and the American Dream and why the candidate who won the election won on a platform "TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" by bringing these jobs back to our shores and sending the illegals home...but then these same retirees jump on here and tell these dang youngins to pull up their bootstraps because the American Dream is easier to achieve than it ever was.

Have a good evening.

You must live a really unhappy life to make a post about something like this, and rant and rave. You must be the stereotypical old man yelling "get off my lawn!"

Loans are nonsense? The older generations had it all handed to them. Pentions, retirement plans, high wages, cheap housing, cheap cars, cheap medical costs. All of that doesn't really exist too much these days.

I disagree about.... 'had it all handed to them'

My $500 an hour lawyer older sister would have a good laugh at that phrase. She also didn't complain about repaying her $50K law school debt (graduated in 1991).

In life you have to earn it, something many younger folks can't seem to understand.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What bothers me most is the drinking and partying. The American Pie movie syndrome that suggests if you don't do this all out to the max living, you're missing out on life. My towns July 3 rd bonfires had to be shut down by Scituate police because it was getting out of hand. The social networking turned a family gathering into a [censored] night, "Purge" the movie type event. We were overrun with high school and college age kids from all over south ma and did not feel safe in our home. Kids yelling screaming destroying property in general anarchy.

My friend down the street sent his kid to a high end university so he could live it up. This mentality is going on in all schools from the state "party" schools all the way up to the ivy leagues.

That's not an American Pie movie syndrome. That ideology was born long long ago, movie and otherwise.

All I repeated is what you said here:

It sounded like you said you know Millenials in your own family that are constantly making excuses.

I was not attacking your family, your post above appeared to be.

I don't know how you came up with anyone thinking the "World owes them a living" when you respond to a quote of mine since I never implied, suggested or typed anything even remotely along these lines.

My only message throughout this entire thread is that young people are faced with a far different world than many of us were two generations ago and many opportunities that existed for my peers no longer exist for young adults today. Primarily that far more good paying CAREERS were available to my generation without the pre-requisite of a college degree. I also have stated that college costs have far outpaced inflation. Everything that I have said is common knowledge and supported by decades of news articles easily found online.

And I have pointed out the complete irony that several of the retired guys on this thread have been shouting for decades that the legislation like NAFTA sent our good jobs overseas and the influx of 'illegals" have taken what jobs remain and are largely responsible for destroying America and the American Dream and why the candidate who won the election won on a platform "TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" by bringing these jobs back to our shores and sending the illegals home...but then these same retirees jump on here and tell these dang youngins to pull up their bootstraps because the American Dream is easier to achieve than it ever was.

Have a good evening.

Basically.

Our nation is always the worst when something bothers them.

Our nation is the greatest empire that the planet has ever known when they hear someone else complain.

In the end, I almost feel sorry for them.

There's no better feeling than putting in a solid day's work, and coming back to a place you can call your own. No amount of saving, or whatever other excuse is used to justify a delay in growing up, is going to be able to replace that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
While it's true that there are 'slackers' in every generation, I think most of those living at home can't afford the outrageous costs of housing today....and yes there are GREEDY landlords.

Not really sure I understand what you mean by greedy. They're running a business. It's supply and demand. If they're asking too much, the unit will be vacant. I'm not sure how greedy comes into play unless you're just referring to capitalism. Corporations are out to make a profit and landlording is a business like any other business. Are they supposed to rent it below market? They're all arms length transactions. If the rent is too high, then it's time to move to a cheaper place.

Rental prices have increased dramatically since the housing bust in 2008. Many people lost their homes and declared bankruptcy and cannot afford or qualify for a mortgage today.

Demand for rentals has increased significantly and therefore the cost of monthly rent has increased. Sure its Capitalism but its also a very real obstacle facing renters today and the majority of young people of the age we are discussing are either renters or living at home with their parents. They are not homeowners because they have a large student loan debt and their debt-to-income ratio and lack of steady employment history disqualifies them from a mortgage.

While I understand the point you're making, I'd hardly say that qualifies as any justification for calling a landlord greedy. It's a business transaction, if it's too high it'll be vacant. Just like any store, if their prices are too high, it won't sell and they'll go out of business. Are they all supposed to rent a property below market?

I did not call landlords "greedy". I simply pointed out that rent prices have increased rapidly and this presents one more obstacle to a young man or woman just starting out.

I would add that it is quite common today for rental apartments to require a first, last and a security deposit today so basically 3 times one month rent must be paid in cash prior to being approved for a lease. It didn't use to be this way...it was often first and last. In fact, it was often first and a few hundred dollars.
Again, I am not saying this makes a landlord "greedy", and I can appreciate why a property owner wishes to protect themselves in a rental situation; however, this does make it more difficult for a young person to move into an apartment.

Another example is that apartment managers require a high credit score today from prospective tenants and many young people have no credit history so cannot pass the rental applicant background check. A background check which typically costs the applicant atleast a $50 application/processing fee. Non-refundable. That was not the norm even 20 years ago.

Many retirees that I know have pulled their money out of the stock market and bought rental properties in fast growing areas like the Front Range of Colorado. They now find themselves owning rental properties. Nothing against them but when investors are buying 2 and 3 homes for cash then they are removing those homes from the market and those homes are no longer available to young couples or families just getting started in life and hoping to buy their first home.

These are not excuses. They are simple facts. They are all contributing factors as to why a young person today might be living at their parents' home with the goal of saving money or knocking down their student loan debt.

I used to be one of those pesky millenials living at home while getting my foot in the door in my career field paying off that massive student loan. But I paid for half of the things I used, IE internet, lights, heat, food. After living in a overpriced apartment for a little of a year at my crew base at SWA I bought my first home by my grandmother. I don't see the big deal if they're help and are TRYING. 10 years later student load and house paid off. Only the one car payment and living off less than half my salary and banking the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back