Microgreen filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am half-way interested in oil bypass filters, but I am not wanting to go through the expenses, and all the modifications. The microgreen filter sounds like the same idea without all the expense and modification.

But I would like to hear from those who have tried it. What was your experience with it? Did you extend the oil change to 30k? What type of oil did you use? What did your used oil analysis show?

Thanks for your time,

Brad

DBMaster ran it out to 30K and had a clean UOA. You can go look it up he posted them.

I think he's on another 30K run now.

I've run it up to 20K on 2 filters running 0W40 and chickened out, they are an excellent value if bought in a 2 pack on sale.

I run them all the time in everything but my boat engines.

UD

I use them, but not as intended. I buy them during their frequent half off sales and use them as a premium filter with Mobil 1 5w30 EP. On my Toyotas, I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles. On my Chevy Volt, I follow the OLM. Since almost of my miles are electric, this means I change oil and filter every 2 years.

If your changing your oil when the TBN drops to below 2, a Micro green filter may not help that much.

I think bypass filters work best in diesel engines with large oil sumps.

Yes, I have done it and am on round 2 now. This time it's with M1 0W-20 EP, which was not readily available to me for round 1. There is one error in my original post. Three filters mean two filter changes during the OCI so I actually used 1 quart of make-up oil, not 1.5 (I had to add 0.5 qt after each filter change).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3894907/1

The molybdenum reads higher than what you might expect because my make-up oil was Mazda 0W-20 w/moly.

I picked up a couple of MG filters when they had their July 4th half price sale.....they are an excellent looking filter. I don't have the testicular fortitude to run any oil 20 or 30K but I was wondering what you guys thought of running Mobil 1 EP or Castrol Edge Gold (both of which claim 15K OCI capability) 10K on an MG and then change the filter only to a regular filter for the remaining 5K? I'm thinking that the MG would have the oil looking very good at the 10K mark so that it should be able to go the additional 5K easily?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I picked up a couple of MG filters when they had their July 4th half price sale.....they are an excellent looking filter. I don't have the testicular fortitude to run any oil 20 or 30K but I was wondering what you guys thought of running Mobil 1 EP or Castrol Edge Gold (both of which claim 15K OCI capability) 10K on an MG and then change the filter only to a regular filter for the remaining 5K? I'm thinking that the MG would have the oil looking very good at the 10K mark so that it should be able to go the additional 5K easily?

I think that plan would work out fine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: pbm

I think that plan would work out fine.

Thanks Z....Actually, it should work with any decent oil (even dino) if MG's claims are legit...Maybe I'll just use the QSUD or PP that I have.

Has anyone determined what the real minimum particle size is for the MicroGreen filter. I have seen a couple of numbers thrown about. One was under 100 nm. What I am concerned about is my additive being filtered out. I use IF Tungsten Disulphide in my oil. The form used is that of "Buckyballs". This is an excerpt from a maker of the material (NISUSA):

True nano size: IF-WS2 particles are in the range of 30-150nm; 2H-WS2 are usually in the range of several microns (1-5 µm)

The form I use is the IF version. SO a filter with pore sizes below 200 nm would likely remove some of the WS2.

I am about to but new oil (with IF WS2 in it) and a Microgreen filter. I would appreciate something definitive on filter pore size.

Seems like you'll need to contact the company about that. Their FAQ's state that additives are not filtered, but see if they'll give you a straight answer with the information you've provided here.

Contact Form

I just phoned them. The person in support said 2 microns. That is larger than a number I got from them before. That leaves plenty of room for my WS2.

It is unclear to me how, or why a company would (or could) specify a minimum particle capture size. We've discussed this before in the context of the odd way microGreen characterizes their filters ("down to two microns in size"). In those threads, a chart was posted that showed a typical filtering efficiency vs. particle size. It showed that even at very small particle sizes there was a non-zero efficiency, which I extrapolated to say that even my window screen filters 2-micron particles (which it does). Furthermore as the filtering media becomes more loaded the efficiency increases. Given this, any filter is going to remove some of even very small particles.

Originally Posted By: alternety

I am about to but new oil (with IF WS2 in it) and a Microgreen filter. I would appreciate something definitive on filter pore size.

They are very tight lipped about this.

I believe you can get very close to determining what they use by simply researching PTFE filter membranes on line.

You'll find a litany of available disks and filter materials that come close to or land dead on the info they have leaked about their product.

UD

Originally Posted By: alternety
Has anyone determined what the real minimum particle size is for the MicroGreen filter. I have seen a couple of numbers thrown about. One was under 100 nm. What I am concerned about is my additive being filtered out. I use IF Tungsten Disulphide in my oil. The form used is that of "Buckyballs". This is an excerpt from a maker of the material (NISUSA):

True nano size: IF-WS2 particles are in the range of 30-150nm; 2H-WS2 are usually in the range of several microns (1-5 µm)

The form I use is the IF version. SO a filter with pore sizes below 200 nm would likely remove some of the WS2.

lmao a fool and his money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back