microGreen Filters - 30K OCI - UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My driving is not smooth, easy highway stints. I am in stop and go traffic, lots of braking, plus plenty of in town driving from one traffic light to the next. I accelerate hard and brake hard.

But, it would be interesting to see the results using different filters and the same routine.

I had a small container of the used oil in my freezer for a few days. I maintain the temperature at 0F which I have never seen in this area in forty years. Obviously, it thickened up a bit from ambient temperature, but it still flowed quite easily down a sheet metal plate onto which I dribbled it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I had a small container of the used oil in my freezer for a few days. I maintain the temperature at 0F which I have never seen in this area in forty years. Obviously, it thickened up a bit from ambient temperature, but it still flowed quite easily down a sheet metal plate onto which I dribbled it.

Thanks for doing that. I wonder how it might have compared to new fresh oil. The fact that it flowed well is a good sign the VII chemicals were still intact after that many mega-miles. Interesting. (I keep my freezer at 0F too, shows right on the door in digital numbers.) 0F is a typical cold weather startup in Colorado, even colder sometimes, but hits it for the usual case here.

I gotta say, its surprising your results were that good. We hear about chemicals oxidizing, degrading, breaking molecular polymer chains, ketones forming, varnish, really altering oil as you drive.

Last edited:
Read the last FAQ...

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/faqs

Although it does read a bit "snake oil-ish" there might be something to it.

What has bee interesting to me from the beginning is that MG does not indicate that synthetic oil has to be used. I wonder what results would look like using conventional. I guess I won't find out as I have been using synthetic exclusively for 26 years and don't plan to change that now.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Read the last FAQ...

http://www.microgreenfilter.com/faqs

Although it does read a bit "snake oil-ish" there might be something to it.

What has bee interesting to me from the beginning is that MG does not indicate that synthetic oil has to be used. I wonder what results would look like using conventional. I guess I won't find out as I have been using synthetic exclusively for 26 years and don't plan to change that now.

One huge client out in California, fleet of cop & city/county government cars out near Oxnard, runs MG and dino low-cost SN-recycled-basestock bulk oil (I guess like Valvoline NextGen), have been doing that for 5 years now at 30k miles. Love to see the rings on those!!! Other fleets, I think out in Polk County FL (police cars) although Polk puts in an "all-purpose" additive for top-off every 6 months to boost additives.

So why couldn't one simply replace their oil filter using a FRAM ULTRA SYNTHETIC filter every 10K? Will it not perform/filter like the MG filter? What is the significant 10k interval MG improvement over the Fram?

Originally Posted By: Rex
So why couldn't one simply replace their oil filter using a FRAM ULTRA SYNTHETIC filter every 10K? Will it not perform/filter like the MG filter? What is the significant 10k interval MG improvement over the Fram?

Give it a shot. I offered up my not quite out of warranty vehicle for this experiment. I'd be interested to see if any others would be willing to do so.

If the secondary filter in the MG canister functions as claimed there is a difference compared to even Fram Ultra.

My plan is to go near 20,000 miles and, before installing the third MG filter, seeing what the UOA looks like. 20K could end up being my OCI. The only difference this time is that I'm using M1 EP instead of AFE (because I can buy it at my local WM's now). Also, my car had about 22,000 miles on it when I started last time and it now has 52,000.

I do one FramUltra for 20k changing the synthetic oil every 10k. But we all have to agree that OP's UOA is really sensational. Divide the wear numbers by 3 and it's pretty impressive.

From Amazon, I can get a two-pack of Microgreens for the Saturd for about the same as two NAPA Platinums from my local store.

Might try running the Microgreens for two ocis each, and leave the oil in, for a total of 4 ocis (should be almost exactly 30,000 miles and two years) before changing the oil.

I wouldn't lose much, if any, oil during filter changes as an Ecotec's cartridge filter is right on top of the engine.

Hmm.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
From Amazon, I can get a two-pack of Microgreens for the Saturd for about the same as two NAPA Platinums from my local store.

What's funny is that the last time I bought a pair MG was running a special. Their own web site would not accept the promotional code. So, they sent me to Amazon. The special was $20 for two (instead of $30). Even though the tally was under $35 the shipping was still free, even on Amazon.

Veteran's day special from microGreen, if anyone's interested in trying them out for cheap.

"SOMS Technologies would like to celebrate our freedom and honor the Veterans who fight for it by giving all website and Amazon customers a promotional code to use on November 11th. The code is MGVETS15 and is good for 40% off of your order.

Also, for our Veterans, if you will e-mail [email protected] and give us your rank, we will send you another promotional code to use in the month of December."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back