Metal particles on filter louvers

WesRo

Hi all, newbie here on the forums.

So by now we all know to wipe the threads on every new filter, I do occasionally see small particles from the threads, I'm sure thats common with all/most oil filters.

Filters in question:
* Donaldson P502051 (made in Indonesia)
* Baldwin B161-S (made in USA)

But decided to wipe the louvers on the inside of the oil filter with my finger, and the Donaldson seems to have a lot of metal particles on the lovers, I did this a lot of times because I could not believe what I was seeing. The pictures are not great, but hopefully it gives some idea, its a lot worse in person.

Now for the Baldwin, I did the same thing, and was only able to find very few particles, however the louvers are overall much cleaner (no black grease on finger). I checked other Baldwin filters I have, and the louvers seemed even cleaner. IMO Baldwin always seems to have the cleanest louvers.

But the Donaldson, how could they make a filter with dirty louvers? Has anyone else seen anything like this before? Use your finger and press and rub the inside of the filter louvers, is your finger darker? do you see shiny particles?

I called Donaldson support, and they said to return the filter for a refund. But it happened once, could happen again...

Wes

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

Great camera focus! Anyways, that's metal debris coming from inside the filter? It may be best to go shop down at your local auto parts store or walmart to be able to investigate your filter first.

Great camera focus! Anyways, that's metal debris coming from inside the filter? It may be best to go shop down at your local auto parts store or walmart to be able to investigate your filter first.
Yeah, its from inside the threaded hole, on the louvers. Its after the filter media itself, so those small particles will be going to the engine.

I will be checking all filters I buy now, never really thought to check it before. I get it from fleetpride, so any defected filter goes back to the manufacturer.

Straight from the center tube to the bearings… ALL of the manufacturers seem to have issues today of one kind or another!
I bought a MicroGard Select extended life filter from O'Reilly's Auto, and it's the cleanest filter out of the box I've ever seen. Base plate comes covered with plastic. The base plate threaded hole is spotless. Not even going to clean anything on this filter, it doesn't need it. And the design and construction is top notch.

I bought a MicroGard Select extended life filter from O'Reilly's Auto, and it's the cleanest filter out of the box I've ever seen. Base plate comes covered with plastic. The base plate threaded hole is spotless. Not even going to clean anything on this filter, it doesn't need it. And the design and construction is top notch.
That’s all I use now on my mustang. Top quality filter

That’s all I use now on my mustang. Top quality filter
Might be my next go-to filter. Checks all the boxes IMO, and no louvers to be checking out - lots of big holes in the center tube. Looks like tons of pleats - I'm guessing 70+ from what I see in the center tube holes. Thick can, and even a silicone base gasket along with the silicone ADBV. Even leak tested. What's there not to like?

1708407051247.jpeg

Yeah, its from inside the threaded hole, on the louvers. Its after the filter media itself, so those small particles will be going to the engine.
A trick I use is put a shop vac hose on the base plate hole and it will help suck out any loose debris inside the filter. Only have the hose suck on the center hole, not on any base plate inlet holes. Air will be drawn in through the inlet holes, through the media and back out into the shop vac.

Last edited:
Honestly I think this is the direction I’m going as well. Currently I have been raiding different AAP’s and finding OG Titaniums but they are getting harder and harder to find as they get phased out.

Might be my next go-to filter. Checks all the boxes IMO, and no louvers to be checking out - lots of big holes in the center tube. Looks like tons of pleats - I'm guessing 70+ from what I see in the center tube holes. Thick can, and even a silicone base gasket along with the silicone ADBV. Even leak tested. What's there not to like?

View attachment 204520
That is a very good looking filter, is it made by Purolator? Those filters are not really heard of in the diesel world.

Good idea on the shop vac, that should get the lose stuff. I just think its silly that a filter manufacturer would let something like that leave the building, they should be testing stuff like this for use, thats why we pay premium price from Donaldson filters.

That is a very good looking filter, is it made by Purolator? Those filters are not really heard of in the diesel world.

Good idea on the shop vac, that should get the lose stuff. I just think its silly that a filter manufacturer would let something like that leave the building, they should be testing stuff like this for use, thats why we pay premium price from Donaldson filters.
Mann & Hummel make some of the Microgard Basic filters. However, Premium Guard makes most of the Microgard Select's in other facilities located in Vietnam.

That may be tricky to find on some Medium duty or Heavy duty engines but I can get one for my 6.0L Navistar as an example.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...motive-truck-2007-ford-f-350-super-duty?pos=1

Last edited:
Not sure of the parent company, but I believe the "MicroGard" brand is exclusive to O'Rielly Auto Parts. The Premium Guard and STP Extended Life filters are built basically the same. The MicroGard (it's spelled without the u in the name) is made in Vietnam.

The sloppy manufacturing (not keeping it clean), and a problem with the people who run the manufacturing operations and any QA that is used - the QA is not tight enough. Same would go for filters that come off the manufacturing line with poorly formed louvers if they use a louvered center tube.

View attachment 204520
Only thing I’d like to know is bypass specs, which I’m not too concerned with. Really just curious.

Back