Michelin tires wore out rapidly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving style and alignment, as others have said, as well as the health of your suspension are key players here.

I would be curious to know how driving surface abrasiveness affects life. Is asphalt more or less abrasive than concrete. Gravel roads vs smooth.

I would think air pressure could have a lot to do with it. Either over inflated or chronically under inflated.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Go and get a new set at 55% off and call it your lucky day to get the new rubber under warranty

Technically, since the first pair was replaced under the warranty terms, the new set will still have the remaining warranty from the first. The replacement tires don’t get a fresh 90k.

If you can keep the seller replacing tires that’s great, just a mistake in your favor.

How can tyre manufacturers offer 90k mile Warrantys on tyres?

They can't know how the car is driven or wether the pressures are monitored.

40k miles from a set of tyres is decent imho.

And some vehicles are hard on tyres.

My 99 Seat Toledo (Golf/Jetta/Bora/A3 platform) was hard on tyres from day one and the car was bought new.

Originally Posted By: llmercll
The defenders have 90k warranty. It's on my receipt from sears.

Driving style is smooth.

Shocks and struts are pretty bad, OEM from a 2003 model so...

I have no way of knowing if my steering parts are tight, I assume so.

That might be significant.

A vehicle with badly worn suspension will not behave like a new vehicle.

I had a 2010 accent eat some 185/65r14 defenders alive..

at less than 25000 miles they were at 4/32 and under.

its a known issue with some car sizes of the org. defender tire..

The newer truck and cuv tires with defender in the name do not have this rapid wear.

The good news is you will get a massive proration off new tires and you can use it towards any tire
not just another set of defenders... (at least at discount tire)

I ended up making money after rebates on a 360$ set of continentals.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

The warranties include language that says you have to properly maintain your vehicle and rotate the tires every so often.

When you call in the warranty, they often (usually? always?) ask for documentation of maintenance and rotations. If you can't provide it, or if it shows a lapse, they can deny coverage.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: bigjl

The warranties include language that says you have to properly maintain your vehicle and rotate the tires every so often.

When you call in the warranty, they often (usually? always?) ask for documentation of maintenance and rotations. If you can't provide it, or if it shows a lapse, they can deny coverage.

In addition, if the tires were ran with incorrect pressure, this will typically result in uneven wear. If you have uneven wear, that will usually disqualify you from making any treadwear warranty claims.

I would love to see some pics of the tires. Front and rear.

I'd definitely get the replacement set at 55%. I have used Michelins the majority of my life and have never gotten more than 60K on a set. The longest lasting was the LTX's on my 4Runner. I'm generally looking to get new tires around 50K regardless of tread.

Can you upgrade to a higher level Michelin?

You may be surprised how the Michelin Corp would work with you on a phone call. On my '05 LS430, the previous owner had put 2 new Michelin's on the front. Did not change the rear as they still had about 30% good tread. I couldn't stand having two different Michelin's on my car so I got 2 new ones for the back. I ordered the same tires as were on the front. The problem was Michelin had changed models, so to speak, and they no longer had the model of Michelin like I had on the front of my car. I called MIchelin and told them my predicament and they actually allowed me to "trade in" the Michelin tires on the front and replace them with the newer model like I had on the back.

I have had several other issues over the last 40 years and Michelin Corp has treated me more than fair in every situation.

Driving style has a HUGE amount to do with tread life-I only got 40K out of the OEM Hankooks on the Transit in my sig due to mostly urban, hilly, & country driving, and two of the guys who run the flat interstates to the north (Dayton, OH & beyond) may make it to the end of the 100K lease without replacing theirs!

Yes, if you're going to get a 55% pro-rate out of your tire dealer, take that offer and run with it. I have Defenders on my '02 Camry that I got from Discount Tire. The car's alignment is checked/corrected about once every 12-18 months. and it has gotten strut replacements and control arm bushing replacements when my local front end shop deems it in need--at 266K miles, it gets taken in for a "suspension shake" to see what's overdue for/about to need replacement about once a year. The tires get rotated at DT's 6K recommendation, and those rotations are in their database. Despite this, the Defenders just don't last to 90K. That's OK by me, as long as DT is willing to slap on another set for a reduced price like you've been offered, I'll keep putting on Defenders. They're fine tires otherwise, and the tread life warranty has worked out well for me.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In addition, if the tires were ran with incorrect pressure, this will typically result in uneven wear. If you have uneven wear, that will usually disqualify you from making any treadwear warranty claims.
I think that's the main thing. Rotations may not even matter as long as they see even tread patterns on the retired tires before you re-tire them with new tires. (Follow me there?)
I don't rotate my tires on some blind mileage schedule.
I look for even tread wear patterns only, and even then thats a tip-off to needing alignment.
I do try to rotate once in a while to get the fronts and backs to wear out at the same time though.

Nothing says you have to use the prorated credit on another set of defenders. Your tire shop should work with you. Allowing you to use the credit towards any tire.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Did the rears wear faster than the fronts? Those cars have issues with rear toe in which cannot be corrected without shims. I had one of these generation jettas and it ate rear tires until I got the rear end shimmed.

Ditto, I think after 200k mine was toe-in on the rear. I simply rotated more often to prevent the feathering from getting too bad, wasn't worth fixing, plus that car never had tires last more than 40k, not even when new.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Tread warranty =/= tread life.

What's the difference between $800 every 90l miles and $360 every 40k miles? To me it seems like you're still on top.

This. I know so many people who don't get the fact that the warranty is sorta an upper bound picked by the tire maker. If you wear the tires our sooner, you get a pro-rated discount on your new set, so you still come out ahead. In fact, you get new/fresh tires sooner at a lower price.

And frankly, I wouldn't *want* to drive around on a set of tires that would actually last 90k miles! They'd have all the traction of leather soled shoes on a wet tile floor. :p The ideal thing is a tire with a high warranty number, and a much faster wear-out rate for your driving style.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would be curious to know how driving surface abrasiveness affects life.

I remember reading some time ago that Hawaii has some very abrasive roads, because of the volcanic material they're made from. Tires don't last long there.

I got the worst service life from Defenders than any other tire I have used on the Corolla. Even the pieces of poo Bridgestone OEM factory set lasted at least (1/3)x longer. The Cooper CS4 I had previous and the CS5 afterwards outperformed and outlasted the Defenders in every way. My suspension is tight so that didn't factor in. I might try some Toyos next time to see how they go. For me it was a great lesson that brand name isn't the be-all for tires.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Tread warranty =/= tread life.

What's the difference between $800 every 90l miles and $360 every 40k miles? To me it seems like you're still on top.

This. I know so many people who don't get the fact that the warranty is sorta an upper bound picked by the tire maker. If you wear the tires our sooner, you get a pro-rated discount on your new set, so you still come out ahead. In fact, you get new/fresh tires sooner at a lower price.

And frankly, I wouldn't *want* to drive around on a set of tires that would actually last 90k miles! They'd have all the traction of leather soled shoes on a wet tile floor. :p The ideal thing is a tire with a high warranty number, and a much faster wear-out rate for your driving style.

People will still continue to believe that a tire sold with a 100K warranty somehow means the tire should last that long.

I just don't get it.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Get the new tires at 55% off. When the new tires wear out at 40,000 get another 55% off set and repeat.

Yep - did this 3 times on my CTS. I hated the OEM Michelins and went with Perilli P Zero Neros with a 40k mile tread wear warranty. I maintain my tires and cars well but could never get more than 25k miles out of them. Each time Discount Tire was no hassle and I got 4 new ones. They could see that all 4 tires wore evenly. After the 3rd set I went with Goodyear Eagle Sports and so far they have 42k miles on them and look like a good 10k miles left to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back