Towing with Michelin or similar HT tire

Keep in mind, an LT will have lower load carrying capacity at the same pressure as a P-Metric, so you'll have to run them higher, which will impact the ride quality. We are running the TerrainContact H/T on our RAM 1500, but ran the LTX on our Expedition, which took a similar sized tire to your vehicle. Did tons of towing with it, tires always lasted and maintained their performance over their life.

GOODYEAR ADVENTURE WITH KEVLAR, WHAT A JOKE THOSE TIRES WERE
SGgUct4QSOKWJbLC1RJkcw.jpg

What is your price range?

I would assume the delta is $100 per tire between the cheapest and michelin
It was that much between Michelin and Cooper SRX - and they are far from entry level …
OP has stated Michelin is out of budget …

I like the looks of that general HTS60, also looks close to the Cooper Endeavour as well.

Are there any entry level tires worth considering say sub 150 range. Obviously wouldn’t expect best if best performance but something that punches a little above its weight for the money?

Towed a 6000lb (loaded) camper, 24’ with P-metrics in a couple brands and had zero problems. Probably had them aired to 40 the first couple times but found it wasn’t necessary. If tongue weight is up to say 1000lbs when braking, that’s an extra 500 pounds per tire, which isn’t that much considering the normal weight over the front tires with the engine. I didn’t have anything unique - probably Firestone destination LE2, cooper RTX, and then Bridgestone REVO2. All 3 did fine.

Last edited:
With high profile truck tires, I think you need XL P metric or light truck tires to get enough air pressure to get the sidewalls firm enough to reduce the sidewall deflection so the rear end doesn't feel loose.
My Dad runs LT tires on his 1/2 tons for this reason when towing their bumper pull 6k RV trailer. They ride just fine with them aired down a bit in daily use.
Sailun is a good chinese brand if you can get them locally, and Hercules Terratrac are on 50% of the older trucks I see here.

2017 Tahoe in signature
40k out of Michelin - worn and chipping on all shoulders
45k out of Cooper Evolution - worn - would of made 50k
Bought Cooper SRX …
I have had good luck as well with Coopers--several sets of them all good. I never buy into the Michelin is the best tire made and I have had them before as well - not impressed.

Reactions: 4WD
After looking a little over the weekend here is what I found, all includeing mount and balance.

Local dealer quoted Hankook Dynapro $216 or Goodyear Fortitude $225. Still higher than what I was hoping to spend.
Discount tire has there Pathfinder HT for $200 or AT for $225
Big O has Sailun HLT for $155, AT for $175

These were all Pmetric, LT were anywhere from 5-20 higher depending on tire. I have to say I like the price of the Sailun but have never known anyone that has run these.

Last edited:
After looking a little over the weekend here is what I found, all includeing mount and balance.

Local dealer quoted Hankook Dynapro at $216 or Goodyear Fortitude at $225. Still higher than what I was hoping to spend.
Discount tire has there Pathfinder HT for $200 or AT for $225
Big O has Sailun HLT for $155, AT for $175

These were all Pmetric, LT were anywhere from 5-20 higher depending on tire. I have to say I like the price of the Sailun but have never known anyone that has run these.
Previous experience with a few sets of Dynapros on a Grand Cherokee was positive; held up well, did good in the rain and snow, and were better-behaved than the Jeep they were on. Decent amount of towing with 2-3klbs and no problems.

At $40/tire difference between Sailun and Hankook, I'd save up a few extra weeks and get the Hankooks. Bad previous experience with Chinese-manufactured tires.

Back