Mechanic says change oil

You guys realize there is basically no profit in the oil change itself right?
You can't generalise oil change markups. Some shops will give you bulk conventional or a cheap syn blend with a cheapie filter and nail you for over $50. I see profit there.

I'll chime in just to share in case it's a similar issue. I changed the oil in my GA16DE on Nov.5/22 with Mobil 1 5W-30 AFS with Mobil 1 EP M1-208 filter, (the exact combo I've used successfully for 17 years). The car had been idling terribly for a few months and reached the point where it was so bad that I was forced to take it to my mechanic and it was found that the injector on cylinder #2 was shot and leaking down.

This car has never needed the oil topped up between 8,000km~5000mile changes EVER. Because of this I rarely check the oil often these days. After I got the car back it ran perfect and I didn't give it much thought. Last week I thought I noticed the valvetrain was a little noisier so checked it while fuelling up. The oil at this point had 2440 kms~1500 miles on it, and normally would be honey-gold.

To my surprise it was at least a cup, cup and a half over the full line and had a bizzare reddish hue to it. I knew at that moment it was fuel diluted to hell and back. It was so thin it jumped off the dipstick and reeked of gasoline. I dropped it out the following day (March.27/23) and man was it thin, poured out like water. After letting it drain for an hour I left the Mobil 1 M1-208 on because it was essentially new.

I filled it with the Castrol EURO CAR 5W-30 C3 I've had sitting around. I think all that gas in the oil cleaned a lot of carbon out, the oil has never looked like that ever, even after a year of use and 8000 kms. Fingers crossed on whether that diluted oil will have more severe consequences in the future or not.

OP, has your car been idling rough? Fuel dilution will quickly change the colour and viscosity of the oil. Had I not decided to check mine I probably would've grenaded the engine before the oil was due to come out at the end of the summer lol.

He just changed the oil! What is wrong with you guys?!

What I haven't read is how long the OP has owned and has been servicing this car.

If he has done the last three oil changes with a quality lubricant - I would put his mechanics comment on ...

>>>>>>>> I G N O R E SIZE]

Since 2018 w 80 k miles. Now has 104. Every 6 months. It never reaches the 5 k mark.

I'll chime in just to share in case it's a similar issue. I changed the oil in my GA16DE on Nov.5/22 with Mobil 1 5W-30 AFS with Mobil 1 EP M1-208 filter, (the exact combo I've used successfully for 17 years). The car had been idling terribly for a few months and reached the point where it was so bad that I was forced to take it to my mechanic and it was found that the injector on cylinder #2 was shot and leaking down.

This car has never needed the oil topped up between 8,000km~5000mile changes EVER. Because of this I rarely check the oil often these days. After I got the car back it ran perfect and I didn't give it much thought. Last week I thought I noticed the valvetrain was a little noisier so checked it while fuelling up. The oil at this point had 2440 kms~1500 miles on it, and normally would be honey-gold.

To my surprise it was at least a cup, cup and a half over the full line and had a bizzare reddish hue to it. I knew at that moment it was fuel diluted to hell and back. It was so thin it jumped off the dipstick and reeked of gasoline. I dropped it out the following day (March.27/23) and man was it thin, poured out like water. After letting it drain for an hour I left the Mobil 1 M1-208 on because it was essentially new.

I filled it with the Castrol EURO CAR 5W-30 C3 I've had sitting around. I think all that gas in the oil cleaned a lot of carbon out, the oil has never looked like that ever, even after a year of use and 8000 kms. Fingers crossed on whether that diluted oil will have more severe consequences in the future or not.

OP, has your car been idling rough? Fuel dilution will quickly change the colour and viscosity of the oil. Had I not decided to check mine I probably would've grenaded the engine before the oil was due to come out at the end of the summer lol.
No. Very smooth. It burns oil but its common on those engjnes.

You can't generalise oil change markups. Some shops will give you bulk conventional or a cheap syn blend with a cheapie filter and nail you for over $50. I see profit there.
This ^^^^^^^^^^

It all depends on the oil, filter, and what the establishment pays. If you're a commercial oil change outfit like Jiffy Lube, you purchase your oil filters by the pallet load. And your oil by the tanker.

It would be difficult, if not outright impossible to undercut what they're paying for what they're pouring into your crankcase, and screwing on your engine block.

A local mechanic who is a one man band, or just employs a couple of guys, is going to have to charge more, because he is going to pay more.

That doesn't mean he's doing it for nothing. His profit margin will be somewhat less. Also, you're more likely to receive a lower grade oil from Jiffy Lube, unless you ask, (or they are successful in selling you an upgrade).

This ^^^^^^^^^^

It all depends on the oil, filter, and what the establishment pays. If you're a commercial oil change outfit like Jiffy Lube, you purchase your oil filters by the pallet load. And your oil by the tanker.

It would be difficult, if not outright impossible to undercut what they're paying for what they're pouring into your crankcase, and screwing on your engine block.

A local mechanic who is a one man band, or just employs a couple of guys, is going to have to charge more, because he is going to pay more.

That doesn't mean he's doing it for nothing. His profit margin will be somewhat less. Also, you're more likely to receive a lower grade oil from Jiffy Lube, unless you ask, (or they are successful in selling you an upgrade).
That's why without even trying, usually, if you're not able to do an oil change, that you've at some point made connections that will do it properly for beer:)

I'm that somebody for me, my folks, and my friends!

Last edited:
Generally they are a "lost leader". When I was doing them at Goodyear I was about 25-35 minutes per car (usually more for a German car) and we charged $39.99 (Canadian). There was almost zero profit. It was just a convenience service for our customers and hopefully they come back for actual repairs when needed.
I would lube everything as needed, check everything thoroughly and get a second opinion from a licensed technician as needed since they were always close by.

Generally they are a "lost leader". When I was doing them at Goodyear I was about 25-35 minutes per car (usually more for a German car) and we charged $39.99 (Canadian). There was almost zero profit. It was just a convenience service for our customers and hopefully they come back for actual repairs when needed.
I would lube everything as needed, check everything thoroughly and get a second opinion from a licensed technician as needed since they were always close by.
The term is "loss leader".😉

"loss leader"

Cadillac Deville (4.6 Northstar 104k) is in the shop for a look over, fuel filter change, coolant flush, new thermostat. Mechanic says oil needs to be.changed because it's dark. OLM says 63% remaining life....oil was changed 2200 miles ago in January. Mobil 1 Extended Protection High Mileage, Mobil 1 EP filter.
Mechanic isn't asking to change it, he knows I do my own oil changes (that and tire rotations is about all I do myself)..... He's advising me to change it due to the color. Should I? Does color matter?

My normal OCIs are every 6 months unless i hit 5-7 k then I'll do it sooner.
mechanics make more money when they sell stuff, especially un necessary services.. just the way it is so just say no.

Well an update incase anyone cares. I went to check the oil that was supposedly black and its clear. I looked at my bill and and i wasnt charged for.the oil change. I called the mechanic and he said that since I've spent so much $ with him over a few months that he changed the oil.and filter at no charge. I asled what he used and he said Wolfs Head oil 10w 30 with an ac delco filter.
Never heard of wolfs head but the car seems to run ok on it i suppose.

Well an update incase anyone cares. I went to check the oil that was supposedly black and its clear. I looked at my bill and and i wasnt charged for.the oil change. I called the mechanic and he said that since I've spent so much $ with him over a few months that he changed the oil.and filter at no charge. I asled what he used and he said Wolfs Head oil 10w 30 with an ac delco filter.
Never heard of wolfs head but the car seems to run ok on it i suppose.
While I've never used that brand I've read good things about it so it's nothing to worry about. The Mechanic did you a good service by replacing it at no extra cost. Thanks for the update!

Back