Maxlife Full Syn vs. Mobil 1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep posting that on this site and people will be on that hook, line, and sinker. You know I know better. I can't wait for a fanboy to use that in the future. Someone already tried the "Under the hood" line already.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
But just to stoke the fire, Valvoline MaxLife Syn has 40% more anti-wear film than Mobil 1 HM, so it must be better!

"Fan boy?"
laugh.gif

Guess which oil I have in my sump right now! (0W-30 AFE)

You know better as well, that Valvoline will protect any engine pretty much as well as Mobil will and there isn't much appreciable difference...

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I'm not upset at all. But let's discuss how you are. An opinion was solicited. I responded. My response upset you to the point that you had to personally attack me. A weak attack at that. You lacked the courage, conviction, and originality to come up with something on your own. You needed to quote another member and use his attack as a security blanket. Maybe you should heed your own advice.

XOM is a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate. Ashland by comparison is third-rate at best. They use cheap hand-me-downs from suppliers. Their oils are inert. To compare M1 to Valvoline is laughable. Asland is a weak wannabe compared to other formulators and hide in the shadows of other formulators such as Red Line, Schaeffer's, and Amsoil. Heck, gimmicky Royal Purple makes a better oil. Why anyone would use that MaxLife swill when just down the aisle you'll find M1 for a few dollars more will continue to be lost on me. Nah, I know why, I just gave the answer; it's cheap.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Upset much? Chill man everything is going to be just fine.

Oil Changer, i apologize for personally attacking you. It was wrong to play off of another members insensitive post and attack you. I'm man enough to admit i was out of line, however i do not apologize for standing up for Valvoline. Ashland oil may not be as big as XOM but they are far from a "trash" company. They produce top notch products that meet all the same specs XOM's oils meet. I'm a fan of XOM and a fan of Valvoline. My father never used either brand, he was a Pennzoil user. I use Valvoline and M1 because both oils have provided me with clean and excellent running engines. You have a good evening.

"Fan boy?"
laugh.gif

Guess which oil I have in my sump right now! (0W-30 AFE)

You know better as well, that Valvoline will protect any engine pretty much as well as Mobil will and there isn't much appreciable difference...

Nickdfresh,

I agree with you 100% but there is absolute no use in trying to convince him---he is unreasonably biased. I have also been a Mobil user for many years but will be switching this year to Valovoline to try their new HM oil. In my opinion, it is the best HM oil in the market because it meets more specs than any other HM oil, it is an SN rated oil, and is even energy conserving. I've never used an HM oil but I have a very minor oil leak in one vehicle and a slightly bigger leak in the other and so I'm hoping that it helps.

It would have been more appropriate to post your meaningless musing in a PM to Nickdfresh. Is that the purpose behind BITOG, to convince others you are right and they are wrong? That you somehow know better? But since you obviously wanted me to read and respond, I'll oblige.

What is it exactly you are trying to convince me of? MaxLife is better than M1 HM? Prove it. Dazzle me with some facts. Spare me the Internet anecdotes. What makes an energy conserving, dexos, SN better than M1 HM? Most all HM vehicles don't require any of that. So what's wrong with SM/SL with it's stronger add pack? M1 10W-30 is ACEA A3. MaxJunk is not. Got anything of substance besides your opinion, parroted responses, and weak certifications? Come on, convince me.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Nickdfresh,

I agree with you 100% but there is absolute no use in trying to convince him---he is unreasonably biased. I have also been a Mobil user for many years but will be switching this year to Valovoline to try their new HM oil. In my opinion, it is the best HM oil in the market because it meets more specs than any other HM oil, it is an SN rated oil, and is even energy conserving. I've never used an HM oil but I have a very minor oil leak in one vehicle and a slightly bigger leak in the other and so I'm hoping that it helps.

How about you provide us with some facts? We judge oils objectively by specs they meet or performance from UOA data. What specs does M1HM 5w30 meet that ML syn 5w30 does not? 10w30 is not relevant here since I am not considering for my application.

You'll use an HDEO but not M1 10W-30? Doesn't make much sense. Let's wait for Capa to answer my question, then that will answer your question and save me some typing.

Or you can help. If you agree with Capa, why is an SN, energy conserving, dexos oil important to you? You're out of warranty, your engine is loosened up, and dexos not required. An HDEO doesn't have any of that. What makes you think you want to use an HDEO?

If you're looking for the best HM, M1 10W-30 is at the top of the heap. That was the title of your thread? ML vs. M1? M1 wins, unless you want to go cheap. Neither will fix your valve cover leak. Wait! I said that in my original post.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
How about you provide us with some facts? We judge oils objectively by specs they meet or performance from UOA data. What specs does M1HM 5w30 meet that ML syn 5w30 does not? 10w30 is not relevant here since I am not considering for my application.

You guys are arguing so vehemently about which oil is better? Do you work for these companies? It's oil. I'm sure they all work fine. Buy whichever one is less expensive that meets your needs.

Go back and re-read my original post. I specified 5w30 not 10w30, but I know what you mean, 10w30 likely more shear stable. Also i said 'if I really wanted to' about HDEO. The grin emoticon was another clue this wasn't a serious consideration. Prove M1 HM is top of the heap. I'll save you some typing, contribute something meaningful to this thread and be done with it. Still waiting on the facts...

I am not arguing which is better or else I would have originally posted x is better than y. Was looking for sound reasoning about what may have an advantage over the other. Some people decide to derail thread with pettiness so I am asking them to back up what they say.

You are arguing which one is better, hence the titile of your thread. ML vs. M1, you want to know which is better or best. If I'm wrong, then what is the point of your thread? You seem to be arguing that ML is better. Why are you not demanding facts from the ones that recommend ML? Don't you want fair and objective opinions?

I didn't derail anything. You asked for opinions, I gave mine, the ML fanboys attack me, and I derailed the thread? Get real. And defending oneself is not petty. You sound like another ML fanboy who has already made up his mind. Use it, I don't care.

There's an old saying, "Don't [censored] down my back and tell me it's raining". M1 is better. There's another thread running concurrently titled, "Mobil 1 vs the rest". Read that and come back here and say what you think.

You didn't answer my questions. Which oil do you think is better? What makes you think ML is "full synthetic"? After reading through your thread, which way are you leaning and why?

I am not arguing which is better or else I would have originally posted x is better than y. Was looking for sound reasoning about what may have an advantage over the other. Some people decide to derail thread with pettiness so I am asking them to back up what they say.

Not a fanboy of either one but they are both about the only HM syns. The full syn version of ML is group III and IV same as M1. Perhaps I should have titled thread 'or' instead of 'vs'. My bad, for assuming people would read the whole post before commenting.

With that amount of typing (you mentioned saving you some typing) you could have constructed a more convincing argument for M1HM.

As someone said earlier, it's just oil. I am sure life will go on whatever I have in the sump. I am waisting no more of my life on this thread. I suggest you move on as well.

Sincerely, have a good weekend.

ML will slow or stop leaks better. Both will work fine as an oil. I've used both many times and those are what my facts I've found, real life for me. I thought using HM oil was for slowing leaks anyway, and the main reason to use?

I'm sure Valvoline replaced the moly they took out of Maxlife with something comparable but I hate they did that because I have no idea what they used to replace it (if they did).

You are arguing which one is better, hence the titile of your thread. ML vs. M1, you want to know which is better or best. If I'm wrong, then what is the point of your thread? You seem to be arguing that ML is better. Why are you not demanding facts from the ones that recommend ML? Don't you want fair and objective opinions?

I didn't derail anything. You asked for opinions, I gave mine, the ML fanboys attack me, and I derailed the thread? Get real. And defending oneself is not petty. You sound like another ML fanboy who has already made up his mind. Use it, I don't care.

There's an old saying, "Don't [censored] down my back and tell me it's raining". M1 is better. There's another thread running concurrently titled, "Mobil 1 vs the rest". Read that and come back here and say what you think.

You didn't answer my questions. Which oil do you think is better? What makes you think ML is "full synthetic"? After reading through your thread, which way are you leaning and why?

To quote my snap on tool guy on this whole bash valvoline mess. "I don't any sell tools that can fix stupid " even snap on hasn't figured out how to make that tool. Interesting. .....arguing about this just fuels his ignorance.

FWIW, I used to purchase bulk asphalt from Ashland and learned a bit about the crude stocks going into their refineries where ALL products are created.

First, unless something has changed, realize that Ashland is not an exploration and drilling company. They are a refiner. They buy crude on the open market from all over the world then blend it to achieve a desired output in their refineries. The crude stocks are "matched" with a sophisticated matrix but, no two refining batches start with truly identical raw materials. We would see some variation in their asphalt product but as long as it was within our purchase specs, we would run it.

I can't say if this sourcing method has an impact on their motor oils or if XOM does it any differently but understand from where the product originates.

Last edited:
It would have been more appropriate to post your meaningless musing in a PM to Nickdfresh. Is that the purpose behind BITOG, to convince others you are right and they are wrong? That you somehow know better? But since you obviously wanted me to read and respond, I'll oblige.

Everyone already knows I'm right, and I really don't need you to respond
smile.gif

Quote:
What is it exactly you are trying to convince me of? MaxLife is better than M1 HM? Prove it. Dazzle me with some facts.

Not quite, bubs. What I actually said is there really isn't much difference between the two...

Quote:
Spare me the Internet anecdotes. What makes an energy conserving, dexos, SN better than M1 HM? Most all HM vehicles don't require any of that.

I don't know the percentages, but some GM's from 2011-12 may very well be getting up in mileage. Most high mileage vehicles don't require any certs actually, but they still have them. Mobil 1 HM carries the ACEA A3/A1-A5 certs, and we're not in Europe yet many will use this to "prove" what a great oil M1 HM is. The fact is that if MaxLife was a "trash" oil it could never meat the Dexos1 cert, which is even more rigorous than the SN standard...

Quote:
So what's wrong with SM/SL with it's stronger add pack? M1 10W-30 is ACEA A3. MaxJunk is not.

You're wrong, actually it is
smile.gif
Actually I wrote the above before I read this LOL.

Quote:
Got anything of substance besides your opinion, parroted responses, and weak certifications? Come on, convince me.

I could care less what you think, I'm more concerned about quality of posting here, yours seems rather ignorant on this topic. What do I have to "prove?" I'm not the one running around on an Anti-Valvoline jihad using words like "trash" to describe an oil that you have failed to "prove" actually is "trash".

WHY DON'T YOU PROVE IT!! Why don't you tell us about all of the cars using Valvoline "MaxJunk" that are in the junkyard?!..

Originally Posted By: Leo99
You guys are arguing so vehemently about which oil is better? Do you work for these companies? It's oil. I'm sure they all work fine. Buy whichever one is less expensive that meets your needs.

I'm not sure specifically whom you're addressing here, but I am actually not saying either oil is "better". My posting the Valvoline propaganda is completely tongue-in-cheek and I actually hate such negative marketing that targets Mobil 1. As I stated, I have Mobil 1 HM in my stash and probably will use it next and have good results using it in the past. They're both great oils and I'll use either without hesitation...

Again, I have Mobil 1 in the sump right now and will be purchasing more with the rebate...

That seems to be a problem for you such as the fight picking rant in your post above. Your reading comprehension lacks. My post was not written to you. But good job anyway, I figured Capa would be tongue-tied.

I currently have no equipment with M1 but M1 HM is a better oil than ML. ML is cheaper but for a few dollars M1 of Pennzoil HM is the better choice.

Anyone that needs a high mileage oil does not need SN, dexos, or energy conserving. That's just common sense.

If Capa's links are considered relevant, how about THIS one from the "scientists" right here on the BITOG homepage?

I'm not sure specifically whom you're addressing here,

Round and round we go. Want me to prove all the cars in the junkyard because of 0W-20 too? Not having a pile of engines in the junkyard makes the oil suitable not better. I don't see you proving ML is any better. You use M1. Why? Because you believe it to be better. The OP started a thread, ML vs. M1. Why not ML vs. BP? Why not ML vs. SOPUS? Because M1 is the top dog everyone wants to compare others to. So even the OP knows deep down that M1 is the better product.

XOM is a global financial powerhouse. They have a dedicated R&D facility! They test with OEM's. How many vehicles are factory filled with Valvoline? XOM can throw more money into R&D per day than Ashland could in a year.

Ashland is a refiner. I said this already as well as another member. They buy cheap hand-me-downs and try and copy formulations, most likely XOM and SOPUS. There's no way Ashland can modify a formula and get it to market as quick as XOM.

You know as well as I that the only one's that know what goes into a mix is the formulators and that's a closely guarded secret. Nobody on BITOG is ever going to know but common sense has to prevail. You talk about quality of posts and ad hominem attacks, dang brother, look in the mirror.

ML is cheap. M1 is the better oil.

WHY DON'T YOU PROVE IT!! Why don't you tell us about all of the cars using Valvoline "MaxJunk" that are in the junkyard?!..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back