Normal to see small seeps when switching to HM?

Hey all,

Filled my 2002 Trans Am LS1 with Valvoline blend HM 5w30 maxlife - it’s fresh fill for storage I started it to get things moving yesterday (usually once per storage on a warmer day and let fans cycle 2 times to ensure it’s fully up to temp)

Piston slap noticeably quieter and ran smooth for my warm up.

I am using this oil to hopefully slow down a very small seep from rear cover or rear main. After 45 min run time I did notice to sides of the oil pan had very small weep stains that never leaked before, is this likely the oil? I’ve read it can expose leaks before sealing them up (hopefully). I was running Mobil 0w40 prior to the change

As @cptbarkey said, the leaks are caused by old gaskets. I have seen this many times with older cars that were in storage. It's easy to blame the new fluid because a coincidence of the leak and new oil, but the reality is that the gaskets are old and crusty.

Was also thinking since it was a start in a 7°C garage maybe the cold caused seep until it got some heat in it?
Could have contributed some, however, it's gonna be those old gaskets/seals causing the majority of the problems. My older Passat leaks from a couple places when it gets really cold, but it's more gasket than weather. Incidentally, I went back to MaxLife blend 10W-40 in it and even when it got super cold (relative for SC) recently, all those leaks stopped leaving Rorschach blots on the garage floor. Cleaned and degreased the engine really well and so far no leaks/seeps. For now. Just putting off the inevitable seal replacements until warmer weather. Or new car purchase :p.

Figure it was a combo of old seal and cold - didnt think 50min of new oil run time would do it - I assume the cold start seeped some oil which stopped once oil got to seals and car got warm as it was a "damp" spot around pan bolt. (which I have confirmed are tight). Hope this oil works its magic and slows the already very slow RM seep.

Back