Maxlife Full Syn vs. Mobil 1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Not even close. It's an insult to M1 to compare it to Valvoline anything. M1 HM oils, especially the 10W-30 are some of the best oils available. Skip the Valvoline trash. No oil will fix your valve cover leak.

Wow.

Not even close. It's an insult to M1 to compare it to Valvoline anything. M1 HM oils, especially the 10W-30 are some of the best oils available. Skip the Valvoline trash. No oil will fix your valve cover leak.

What a pathetic life you lead....

I had to make a similar decision today and though I have been an avid Mobil user for many years (the oil change thread will show that I have only used Mobil products for the past four years or so), I decided to buy Valvoline full synthetic HM. Hoping it stops the bleeding on the 3.8 Grand Caravan.

Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Hello all,

I recently replaced the turbo oil feed pipe on my 2011 Cruze ....

Use MaxLife syn, for the Dexos1 cert...

Originally Posted By: mjk

Agree..

Someone hasn't every ran a Valvoline Product...By no means is anything Valvoline trash. Comparable to a mobil 1 product? That's subjective. If you ask me Maxlife is every bit as good as M1 HM. I've ran both and i like both.

Many here can attest to Maxlife's quality.

Last edited:
Why? Because I don't follow the BITIG status quo? I have a pathetic life because I think Ashland is a third rate company? Because there really is no comparing M1 to Valvoline? Did I upset you because you or your dad use Valvoline? Aawww, poor baby.

It is you that has the pathetic life for letting a simple sentence on an Internet forum upset you to the point that you were compelled to write what you did.

Originally Posted By: mjk

What's pathetic is you trying to make a point yet unable to write a legible sentence. What's pathetic is you not understanding that yes, my opinion is subjective, same as yours. You are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine. Mine is based on experience. Don't get upset over mine like I don't get upset over yours. Pretty simple really.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Agree..

Someone hasn't every ran a Valvoline Product...By no means is anything Valvoline trash. Comparable to a mobil 1 product? That's subjective. If you ask me Maxlife is every bit as good as M1 HM. I've ran both and i like both.

Guys, we should be kind. Oil Changer has an admitted bias against Valvoline. I don't agree with his position, but he's not trolling - it's his legitimate opinion. When he had his bias laid out in the open on his signature, he caught grief for that, too.

I disagree with him, but I haven't walked a mile in his shoes, either, and I know full well he is not trolling. Call him biased all you want, tell him you disagree. But, that's not trolling.

I've had spectacular success with MaxLife 5w-30 when I used it in my F-150. Oil Changer had a spectacular failure when he used their ATF. Was my success due to MaxLife or due to frequent oil changes on a neglected engine? Was Oil Changer's failure due to Max Life, a procedural error, or simply bad luck? I guess we'll never know. But I'll say MaxLife is a great product, and he will say the opposite. Such is life.

Thanks, Garak. Is there a PDS for this new Valvoline synthetic HM oil? I'm wondering about the NOACK and a couple of other things.

I am a huge Maxlife fan but honestly for your turbo I think the M1 HM is a better choice with it's higher HTHS, Maxlife is 3.0 and M1 HM is 3.3 or so IIRC, the higher ZDDP wouldn't hurt either.

What's pathetic is you trying to make a point yet unable to write a legible sentence. What's pathetic is you not understanding that yes, my opinion is subjective, same as yours. You are entitled to yours, I am entitled to mine. Mine is based on experience. Don't get upset over mine like I don't get upset over yours. Pretty simple really.

Agree..

Upset much? Chill man everything is going to be just fine.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I am a huge Maxlife fan but honestly for your turbo I think the M1 HM is a better choice with it's higher HTHS, Maxlife is 3.0 and M1 HM is 3.3 or so IIRC, the higher ZDDP wouldn't hurt either.

KC, what is the definition of "HTHS?" And, are you stating that M1HM has more "ZDDP" in it than VML?
confused2.gif

It is hard to decide to stay with dexos spec (i.e. Maxlife) or try to outsmart the engineers and go with something thicker and higher ZDDP like M1 HM. In the back of my mind though, I think I could go with M1 HM, continue 6-7K OCIs and not even worry about a UOA (though I will do one). Not too sure about proceeding with ML unless UOA data to support my OCI. I absolutely detest oils not staying in grade, but since M1 HM is thicker to start it has a little room for shear. (I am not saying ML would shear out of grade, but I am more confident in M1HM for higher starting visc.) I probably wont make up my mind until I go to the store this weekend to buy the stuff
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

KC, what is the definition of "HTHS?" And, are you stating that M1HM has more "ZDDP" in it than VML?
confused2.gif

"HTHS" is high temperature high shear (relates to high temperature breadown/viscosity loss), & "ZDDP" is the zinc compound that provides extra (EP) boundary lubrication for high lift flat tappet cams & lifters, etc. Just don't use the filter for more than one OCI, LOL!
wink.gif

I'm not upset at all. But let's discuss how you are. An opinion was solicited. I responded. My response upset you to the point that you had to personally attack me. A weak attack at that. You lacked the courage, conviction, and originality to come up with something on your own. You needed to quote another member and use his attack as a security blanket. Maybe you should heed your own advice.

XOM is a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate. Ashland by comparison is third-rate at best. They use cheap hand-me-downs from suppliers. Their oils are inert. To compare M1 to Valvoline is laughable. Asland is a weak wannabe compared to other formulators and hide in the shadows of other formulators such as Red Line, Schaeffer's, and Amsoil. Heck, gimmicky Royal Purple makes a better oil. Why anyone would use that MaxLife swill when just down the aisle you'll find M1 for a few dollars more will continue to be lost on me. Nah, I know why, I just gave the answer; it's cheap.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

confused2.gif

"HTHS" is high temperature high shear (relates to high temperature breadown/viscosity loss), & "ZDDP" is the zinc compound that provides extra (EP) boundary lubrication for high lift flat tappet cams & lifters, etc. Just don't use the filter for more than one OCI, LOL!
wink.gif

Oh, you don't have to worry about that happening.
grin.gif

I'm not upset at all. But let's discuss how you are. An opinion was solicited. I responded. My response upset you to the point that you had to personally attack me. A weak attack at that. You lacked the courage, conviction, and originality to come up with something on your own. You needed to quote another member and use his attack as a security blanket. Maybe you should heed your own advice.

XOM is a multi-billion dollar global conglomerate. Ashland by comparison is third-rate at best. They use cheap hand-me-downs from suppliers. Their oils are inert. To compare M1 to Valvoline is laughable. Asland is a weak wannabe compared to other formulators and hide in the shadows of other formulators such as Red Line, Schaeffer's, and Amsoil. Heck, gimmicky Royal Purple makes a better oil. Why anyone would use that MaxLife swill when just down the aisle you'll find M1 for a few dollars more will continue to be lost on me. Nah, I know why, I just gave the answer; it's cheap.

Your "opinions" seem more like ad hominem, hysterical attacks that have no basis in reality. By any measure Valvoline's meet some of the toughest industry standards, including Dexos1 and the same ACEA A1/A5 that Mobil 1 does. Ashland probably procures some of the same "cheap hand me down" PAO base stocks used in Mobil 1. Your excessive statements are not appreciated on a board that at least has the pretension of rational and semi-scientific debate. I don't care if you use Valvoline or not or if you use Mobil 1 or not. Both are fine oils and I have both in my stash...

But just to stoke the fire, Valvoline MaxLife Syn has 40% more anti-wear film than Mobil 1 HM, so it must be better!
13.gif

FSHM1_Banner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back