Manual Transmission Flush

I meant just to clean out the "rest" of the detritus in the bottom of the transmission case. I used a fully synthetic GL-4, 50 weight gear oil (for MB manual transmissions) to "work around" inside the case (by spinning the prop shaft) and then drained the case for a few hours.

Put in the new fluid and been driving for a few days now. Much smoother and shifting better. The old fluid was full of brass "sparkly's", but no more!

Good to go.

I meant just to clean out the "rest" of the detritus in the bottom of the transmission case. I used a fully synthetic GL-4, 50 weight gear oil (for MB manual transmissions) to "work around" inside the case (by spinning the prop shaft) and then drained the case for a few hours.

Put in the new fluid and been driving for a few days now. Much smoother and shifting better. The old fluid was full of brass "sparkly's", but no more!

Good to go.

That may be a feel good thing than anything else. Manual transmissions are designed around all those little bits floating in the fluid. Even without a recommended fluid change period, or one in the six-figure mileage range.

Now replacing the fluid where there's fresh additives is another matter.

The big thing when changing the trans oil is to remove the fill plug first.You will not believe how tight it is.Shame to drain the oil and not be able to refill.I used Redline MTL in my tranny,the gear shifts were smooth as butter.

in a MT you don't need to flush IMO. Drain & fill is more than enough. Use the correct fluid and move on.

Just my $0.02
I would argue also for full autos the benefit of drain and fills more often. I don't think flushes are a good idea for the involved parts. I feel like it's safer to let the internal pumps move fluid.

Treat it like an oil change. Manuals are pretty basic and don't need anything crazy.

I'm not sure if Nissan uses a magnetic drain plug. If not, that would be yhe best use of your money. I'm a big fan of magnetic plugs for oil, transmission, differentials, transfer cases, you get the idea.

Find out what metric thread it is and order one from eBay, Amazon, etc.

The fuzz it catches is fuss that doesn't make it between gear teeth, and in roller bearings.

I'm not sure if Nissan uses a magnetic drain plug. If not, that would be yhe best use of your money. I'm a big fan of magnetic plugs for oil, transmission, differentials, transfer cases, you get the idea.

Find out what metric thread it is and order one from eBay, Amazon, etc.

The fuzz it catches is fuss that doesn't make it between gear teeth, and in roller bearings.

It has a magnetic drain plug. And yep, lot's of fuzz caught.

Before:

RenderedImage.jpeg

Last edited:
Back