Why are indys apprehensive with ATF Services?

I have been advising a family member to get their jatco special nissan 4 speed a/t serviced. The tc has a shudder between 30-40, light pedal. I pulled the dipstick, fluid appears a dark maroon on a napkin. Its at the correct level.

I told them when they swing by, Id do the service, but if its easier they can go to a local indy. However just heard back the indy doesnt want the job as theres a large possibility that a drain and fill might cause transmission failure.

I know flushing is a bad idea, but are drain and fills equally as worse?

I worked with a guy who had the transmission serviced on his Nissan, (fluid change), at a local Big-O. They used the wrong fluid and his transmission failed in just a few hundred miles.

He took it into the Nissan dealership where he bought it, and they wouldn't cover it under warranty, because of what Big-O did. He had to get a lawyer, and a court battle ensued, and finally Big-O had to pay. (Around $5K).

These newer transmissions are very fluid particular. Most only will cover failure if the factory type and brand is used. The end result is that many chain auto service centers are shying away from servicing them, because the above is becoming all too common.

^^All the above has been said before except for the specific examples.

Folks trashing their transmissions with absent maintenance is sad but understandable.
That the secondary phenomenon -units dying after service- can't be fathomed by Joe Citizen or simply explained to customers is a real commentary too.

The fact that many shops can't ascertain the correct fluid is really deflating. It shows that some really don't care.

Years ago, I had my 2007 Volvo S80 V8 transmission serviced at the Volvo dealer. Expensive two gallons of fluid. Shifted perfectly before the service at ~ 50,000 miles. After, there were occasional hard shifts and bangs. Went to the dealer twice to check transmission fluid level. Left car and was told level was correct and charged for the check. I was then out of work and decided to check myself. The transmission has a standpipe built into the drain plug. There were scratches on the round drain plug perimeter. The plug for the standpipe is an aluminum allen hex. It could not be removed and therefor the larger drain plug hex could not be removed. I ordered a new drain plug and standpipe assembly. The original plug was then removed using a pipe wrench. I collected what drained and measured the amount. I also carefully measured the volume of the new fluid I added to meet the standpipe elevation. Dealer had the transmission 28 ounces low. Transmission shifts perfectly now with correct level. Yes I took the old standpipe drain plug to the dealer and advised what I found. The ~ $300 drain/fill charge was refunded.

Per my son who is pretty high up in a quickie lube chain
"Dad, I can do it. I'll make sure the right fluid goes back in but I really think you should go to the dealer if you want a flush. So many of these Ford and Chevy 10 speeds act funny after a change. I tell that to everyone with a 10r80"

My fleet company didn't want to do ANY trans maintenance. I had the mechanic call them AFTER the truck was on the hoist and drained. Talk about short sighted. A few months after that they had to pay $800 for another service and reflash because the trans was screwing up. '19 k1500.

Back