Permatex Thread Sealant (51813) or Teflon Tape?

So, Permatex Thread Sealant (51813) or Teflon Tape? I found this old BITOG Post "https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/thread-sealant-or-teflon-tape.131036/ ", but nothing newer dealing with this topic.

I having been fighting a MT fill plug, and finally got it out. The Nissan manual calls for the Permatex Thread sealant 51813, but after this last removal fiasco, I don't want to have another issue like I just had. The fill plug had been installed 19 years ago (2004) and I can't tell if it's been serviced since. It seems like someone used "Lock-tite" on this thing at some point, OR the original 51813 installed at the factory turned into glue.

Anyway, I used an Astro Pneumatics "Nano" (high torque impact air operated at 150psi and nothing) and an Astro Pneumatics "Thor" (over 800 fl-lbs at 150psi) and the fill plug wouldn't budge.

Finally broke out the blue wrench and put the fill plug under removal torque of about 100 ft-lbs and put on the heat for about 2 minutes before the existing thread sealer/locker let go.

I don't want to fight this issue ever again and the 51813 has me thinking about this issue in the future.

What would be wrong with just using Teflon tape on a MT fill plug?

No problem, it will work fine clean and dry first. Teflon pipe seal will work also.

I use blue monster for lots of things but in this case, I would clean the plug threads really well, spray them with brake cleaner and would use the black permatex on the threads.

Probably nothing but I always seem to wrap it around the thing the wrong direction so it unwinds when I screw it in.
Same here. I have a tiny tube of thread sealant but probably should buy a smaller jar of thread goop one day....

or Teflon Tape
Funny story about "Teflon". As most people know it was developed by E.I. du Pont. I used to work for a major chemical pump manufacturer and we supplied du Pont, Dow, Eastman, BASF, etc. All of those companies had in their engineering specs that forbid the use of "Teflon" tape or paste on any threaded connections on their pump assemblies. At the time, I always thought it was just because they were competition. Today, I wonder if it was because they knew about Teflon....

My only concern about any of the liquid products is that a certain amount will always contact the oil. I am not sure how well the oil will react to this type of product.

The original plug probably had Loctite Vibra-seal, was tightened pretty far, and a bit corroded.

I use this:

My only concern about any of the liquid products is that a certain amount will always contact the oil. I am not sure how well the oil will react to this type of product.
Since it's a tapered thread, it shouldn't. Don't need a lot. I normally use a thin bead partway up the threads which is probably more than you need.

If it's a fill plug and not a drain plug, I would put nothing on the threads except a little oil.
I seem to recall that my Nissan FSM says the same thing. Nothing mentioned for the fill plug since it's not submerged in fluid, but the drain plug they do say to apply a thread sealant.

FSM shows thread sealer for both drain and fill plug per general instructions (GI section), and Permatex is listed as the sealant:

Screenshot 2023-06-28 075255.jpg

I think one of two things happened in this particular case of the plugs:

1. Thread locker was used because the symbol for both the sealer and the thread locker are similar and someone just didn't even see the "circle L"

2. Someone could not have cared less and just used what they had on hand, and "send it" attitude took over. Keeps the "come backs" down because no leaks on the garage floor.

If they had only cared a little less, maybe they wouldn't have put anything on it all. If only.......

Last edited:
FSM shows thread sealer for both drain and fill plug per general instructions (GI section), and Permatex is listed as the sealant:
I used it on both either way. Certainly no harm.... I do seem to remember some inconsistency - maybe it was for the transfer case where it didn't mention sealant on the fill plug.

Back