Made a rookie mistake

Forgot to re-install the oil cap after a quick change on the Daughter's 2013 Rav last night. She then took it on a four hour trip to Houston this morning and when she arrived someone noticed a drip on the driveway. The cap was replaced and from what I was told it was only a quart low and a bit of mess in the engine bay. I plan to perform another change and clean the bay when she makes it back in town. I'm super upset with myself as I take pride in any work I do. I feel fairly confident that no long term damage was done. Do y'all think any harm was done? Thanks in advance!!

No harm. A very small amount of airborne particulate got in maybe. It would go from the top of the head down to the sump and either settle or get captured by the filter. Much less abrasive likely than metal wear particles.

I likely wouldn't worry about it myself but do what you must.

I had a Cutlass back in the 90s that didn't have a cap when i bought it, and I never installed one. Not that I suggest this practice...

Happened to me back in 1982, VW Rabbit with diesel engine. Driven over the weekend locally. Mostly a mess under the hood. Don't remember amount lost but it was fine afterwards.

i did the same mistake couple of years ago changing oil in my wife's pilot. Luckily, I've only driven a mile or so and something struck me that i didn't put the cap back on. Popped the hood and sure enough, it was sitting where i sat it. From now on, I put the oil cap on the hood latch, that way even if I do forget, i won't be able to close the hood and will have to investigate discovering the mistake

Forgot to re-install the oil cap after a quick change on the Daughter's 2013 Rav last night. She then took it on a four hour trip to Houston this morning and when she arrived someone noticed a drip on the driveway. The cap was replaced and from what I was told it was only a quart low and a bit of mess in the engine bay. I plan to perform another change and clean the bay when she makes it back in town. I'm super upset with myself as I take pride in any work I do. I feel fairly confident that no long term damage was done. Do y'all think any harm was done? Thanks in advance!!
I mean at least you put oil in it, and retightened the oil pan drain bolt.... that's better than some of the lubey drive-thrus...

I did that about a year ago wit the Accord. Sidetracked somehow. Only drove a mile through neighborhood going to AAP to drop used oil for recycle. Engine didn't sound correct, almost like it had a slight exhaust leak. Got to AAP popped the hood and said "YOU D*^K". Only a little bit of mess, simple green and a hose took care of that. It happens.

I just did the same thing though I didn't drive. I had it running for ~5 minutes before I turned off the car and went to check the levels. Had quite the mess. Must have been something in the air for this to happen to multiple people around the same time.

That's one thing I hate when I started doing top extraction oil changes years ago. I removed a part of the OCI procedure and it about drove me nuts.
I'm one of those triple checkers and nothing gets by me but this did me in...lol
Now I no longer think about the oil pan drain plug...

I did that about a year ago wit the Accord. Sidetracked somehow. Only drove a mile through neighborhood going to AAP to drop used oil for recycle. Engine didn't sound correct, almost like it had a slight exhaust leak. Got to AAP popped the hood and said "YOU D*^K". Only a little bit of mess, simple green and a hose took care of that. It happens.
Yeah I said a few choice words myself when I heard what happened. I do recall the sound of the engine being a little different when she was leaving the driveway. I actually thought this was because I used 5w 30 instead of the usual 5w20.

I am requesting a three week suspension from BITOG. This nonsense will not be tolerated here . 😂
Seriously I hate these mistakes and you should be commended for your honesty. Shake it off and move on ... 👍
Shake it off, that’s for sure. That engine will recover a lot quicker than your pride but that’s life. A lifetime of holiday jokes. Did that cap stay put for the entire 4 hour drive to Houston? I would bring that up as a defense.

Not just becaused I am a BITOGER, I am totally in support of changing out the oil and the oil filter that are in the car. The reasons are multiple. The crankcase ventilation system worked for hours at no pressure. The top of the engine was open to unfiltered, underhood air. Whatever contaminants got in in this four-hour trip made their way to the oil and hopefully to the filter. You'd probably get away with running the oil as it is, but who needs that uncertainty. Your instincts are correct. You should use this as an opportunity to detail the engine bay to better than you left it the first time. And of course, you should share your oil choice, filter choice, reasoning behind the grade you are using, along with the mileage and year of the vehicle. You should further weigh in on the "Toyota oil should be changed at 5,000 miles if you are in it for the long run debate.

Best wishes.

Back