What y’all recommend for a 2010 Dodge Caravan?

So my niece has a 2010 Dodge Caravan with 167k miles that burns some oil. It’s one of their daily drivers that does a lot of short local trips. They have been getting oil changes done at Walmart and by the windshield sticker it looks like a 5w20 blend is what they’ve been putting in it. It’s also what’s on the oil fill cap… I told them to bring it to me instead anytime they need an oil change. We can do much better than that! Let’s save money and put some quality full synthetic in it!
What y’all recommend?
Good candidate for M1 0w40?
Please chime in.

I believe the 2010 GC's still used the 3.3/3.8L. If so, many people have run Xw-40 oils in this engine between the minivan and Wrangler crowd.
Depending on how much oil is being burned and short tripping, even a cheaper full synthetic or blend HM 5w-30 would serve this engine just fine.

If it is a 3.3v6 my dad's had bad valve guide seals towards the end of its life. If would always puff on startup and acceleration. I would certainly lean to a HM 10w30 Syn.

Consider a HM oil. Any synthetic HM will be fine :)

But for a Chrysler minivan, you should be more concerned about the transmission :sneaky:

Get an aftermarket transmission pan with a drain plug and change it with Redline C+ ATF every year or two.
I will let them know that! Thank you for the advice!
Any ATF+4 will work (Mopar, Valvoline, Castrol, etc.). Don't confuse it with Universal ATF. While Redline C+ is not officially ATF+4 (not licensed by Chrysler), it's formulated to be acceptable high performing oil but also at a higher price.

I'm still on my stock transmission on a 2000 Grand Caravan 3.8 but only at 142k miles. I changed the ATF and filter at 80k and again at 130k. I will probably change it again at 150k.

So my niece has a 2010 Dodge Caravan with 167k miles that burns some oil. It’s one of their daily drivers that does a lot of short local trips. They have been getting oil changes done at Walmart and by the windshield sticker it looks like a 5w20 blend is what they’ve been putting in it. It’s also what’s on the oil fill cap… I told them to bring it to me instead anytime they need an oil change. We can do much better than that! Let’s save money and put some quality full synthetic in it!
What y’all recommend?
Please chime in.
Where she live......Arizona vs way up north.....
Area and temp are huge factors for oil recommendations and usage.

Whatever is cheapest in the viscosity range you want. Valvoline HM is a good if slightly more expensive option.If it was a newer, lower mileage vehicle the Red Line C+ is an excellent option. In your case...the lowest priced ATF+4 is what I would buy. filter and gasket will be another $25-$50. Pan with drain? Depends how often you will do this service dictates the added cost.

What y’all recommend?
Please chime in.
You may wish to consider:
Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W-30 @18.98 for a 5 quart jug - $1 (5% Walmart credit card discount) = $17.98 + tax for a 5 quart jug. It's marketed as a 10,000 mile oil.

I purchased an exacto knife from Amazon to cut the circumference of the jug's spout to remove the clingy plastic anti tamper material. At first I didn't like this bother, but after using the Quaker State 5 quart jugs where you can remove the cap and put it back and it looks like it was never opened, I prefer the added security/bother of the SuperTech design. Wouldn't want someone to return their used oil to Walmart and then get stuck with that or something even worse.

Last edited:
Back